My fish is missing an eye!!!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

FishNewbie82912

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I just noticed one of my glo fish has been swimming funny for a while. Almost like swim bladder but then sometimes he controls it. I just noticed heā€™s missing an eye ball!!!! Iā€™ve only had him a month. Not sure if he came like that or it was an injury. I can see inside his brain! What should I do?

I just noticed one of my glo fish has been swimming funny for a while. Almost like swim bladder but then sometimes he controls it. I just noticed heā€™s missing an eye ball!!!! Iā€™ve only had him a month. Not sure if he came like that or it was an injury. I can see inside his brain! What should I do?
my dwarf gourami has one eye and heā€™s fine, really active and sometimes even plays with me. i would say just to closely monitor it, if it was a injury that he got while inside your tank so some water changes.

my dwarf gourami has one eye and heā€™s fine, really active and sometimes even plays with me. i would say just to closely monitor it, if it was a injury that he got while inside your tank so some water changes.
Thanks. Upon watching him this is new. I definitely would have noticed. Heā€™s laying on bottom of tank. So not looking good.

What else is living in the tank? What are your current water test results?

I just removed 2 rainbows. I have a 25 gallon. Didnā€™t know that wasnā€™t enough when I bought them. But now those are in my bigger tank. Otherwise thereā€™s 5 other glo tetras in there. I havenā€™t tested the water. I know this sounds awful but I never test because I have my schedule of water change and vaccum and itā€™s been uneventful for months. So I figure all is well. I will test though since this happened.

I had a GloFish Tetra that lived 3 years with one eye. It seemed like it was sickly, but ate all the time. Would swim funny and lay on stuff, but, lived actively for 3 years that way. It had popeye, and the eye fell out one day.

Then one day he vanished. Presumed snail food.

I had a GloFish Tetra that lived 3 years with one eye. It seemed like it was sickly, but ate all the time. Would swim funny and lay on stuff, but, lived actively for 3 years that way. It had popeye, and the eye fell out one day.

Then one day he vanished. Presumed snail food.
Well thatā€™s interesting and reassuring. Iā€™ll see how he makes it through the night. Iā€™ll do a big water change tomorrow. The tank is due anyway. I hope if he makes it.

If he is eating and isn't hiding from the other fish stressed, let him adapt and keep water changes very regular and thorough to keep the water clean to prevent infection in case it is a fresh wound.

I have 2 cories missing an eye (one I dont know I bought him like that on purpose, I'm a sucker, and the other the store kept the cories in with a baby black ghost knifefish which are known for plucking out eyes of other fish). I also have a one eyed platy as well bought that way too.

All of them get on fine like nothing is wrong and are healthy otherwise.

This is the guy who was in with the knifefish
20210306_185812(0).jpg

This is the guy from petsmart whom I've got no clue on, looks genetic to me but I dont know.
20200625_121459.jpg

And this is my platy, Sandwich.
20200627_175430.jpg

He made it through the night! I did a major water change today in case disease was the cause. Heā€™s swimming more today. I noticed when I vacuumed there was tons of whiteish debris I was sucking up. I donā€™t feel the tank is normally that dirty. It was like a snow globe in the vacuum. I vaccum every 2 weeks. And never see that much. Could that indicate anything? Aside from normal waste?

He made it through the night! I did a major water change today in case disease was the cause. Heā€™s swimming more today. I noticed when I vacuumed there was tons of whiteish debris I was sucking up. I donā€™t feel the tank is normally that dirty. It was like a snow globe in the vacuum. I vaccum every 2 weeks. And never see that much. Could that indicate anything? Aside from normal waste?
Did you change any of your filter media recently? Some filter flosses wind up shedding a lot of debris

What water conditioner do you use?

A cycled tank should have 0 ammonia.

I've had a few one-eyed fish, they did just fine, with the right tankmates and regular WC's.

Most reactions

trending

Back