My Filter's A Murderer.

kevinthecow

Fishaholic
Joined
Sep 10, 2008
Messages
657
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Alright, so. A few weeks ago, two of my fish died because they got caught in the pipe of the filter. TWO! A swordtail AND a albino cory. )': :rip:
So, I just checked three minutes ago, AND I COULDN'T FIND TWO OF MY WEATHER LOACHES! Now. I look at my filter. The nozzle is off, the filter's on, and no water's pouring out. Guess what happend. You guys probably could figure.

They got caught. ): :rip::rip: x4 now.

What now. I'm really worried about my filter, and I haven't cleaned it yet and taken them out yet. Going to, this evening.
Do i buy a new filter? or what can help keep the filter nozzle thing back up.

Right now, I have no guts to take out my loaches. I loved them so much :crazy: :sad:
I won't sleep happy today! :-(
 
I feel so sorry for you, kevinthecow. :-(

If you tell us what brand of filter you have, maybe someone can suggest a way to prevent this kind of thing from happening in the future. If it's a HOB, you could put a sponge filter over the intake tube, for example.
 
I feel so sorry for you, kevinthecow. :-(

If you tell us what brand of filter you have, maybe someone can suggest a way to prevent this kind of thing from happening in the future. If it's a HOB, you could put a sponge filter over the intake tube, for example.

Alright, give me a few minutes.
I'm gonna turn off the filter, first. Then go in the garage looking for the aquarium box, yes I still have it.
(for almost a year! O:)
 
If those kinds of fish can get into the filter pipe, something is wrong with the intake strainer :crazy:.
 
Hi kevinthecow

This is the kind of thing I had in mind. It usually comes with several different size adaptors and goes on the end of the intake tube. It should keep anything, other than water, out of the filter.

http://www.aquariumguys.com/lupr.html

If this doesn't work, maybe you could rig something up using a nylon stocking or nylon netting.
 
A piece of sponge placed over the intake is a great idea...even acts as a bit of a pre-filter.
 
You can get a foam pre filter and put it over the intake. That will maintain the flow and keep your fish out.
Besides that you could use a filter saver bag (the ones I used were "lee's" brand). However, if you use a net or bag type of cover, it will need to be cleaned regularly. If it's not course enough, debris will get stuck on it and reduce flow at the intake. This will put more strain on the filter.

You guys sure the sponge idea will work? :D
Theres hope? :)

You can't just use any ol sponge though. You have to get it from your LFS to make sure it's aquarium safe. Also, most home type sponges are not course enough for this type of application.
 
Alright guys, i'll do so. :)
ugh, while you guys were helping out, i was trying to get the loaches out. No luck ):

And then my 10g tank's filter just broke.
bad day? Gee, i'm not made of money
 

Most reactions

Back
Top