my enraged betta fish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

musicalbetta

Reaction score
I have a betta fish named Thomas Jefferson & he's a very healthy fish in a 5 gallon tank, but everyday he flares his gills and gets into that betta fighting mode. I tried my best to prevent him from seeing his reflection too much, but he still acts the same. He lives with a nerite snail named James Madison ;), though he never showed any signs of being aggressive or anything towards James.
I did add a Java Fern Moss Ball a couple weeks ago, but I can't think of why he'd be like this because of it.
pH: between 7.2 and 7.6
Ammonia: under 0.25ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 0ppm
(parameters tested with API Master Test Kit)
I feed Thomas the Aqueon Natural Color Enhancing Pellet Food twice a day & for a treat I occasionally feed him bloodworms, daphnia, or mysis.
Water changes are twice a week.

Are you sure he's not flaring at the snail?

My betta shares his tank with a nerite. I think the betta might be getting old because I've had him over two years and he now ignores the snail, but until a few months ago he would flare at the snail whenever it was on the walls of the tank. But he ignored the snail if it was on the floor or some decor. I have always assumed the snail was no threat as long as it was crawling over something, but on the walls it looked to the betta as though it was swimming mid water and he saw it as in intruder.

Are you sure he's not flaring at the snail?

My betta shares his tank with a nerite. I think the betta might be getting old because I've had him over two years and he now ignores the snail, but until a few months ago he would flare at the snail whenever it was on the walls of the tank. But he ignored the snail if it was on the floor or some decor. I have always assumed the snail was no threat as long as it was crawling over something, but on the walls it looked to the betta as though it was swimming mid water and he saw it as in intruder.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure. My snail sleeps most of the time, anyways.

He will get over it.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back