My dad randomly brought home four Betta fish with next to no supplies or no nothing to look after them. Any advice is appreciated!

if using tap water, get a dechlorinator asap.... if chlorine in tap water, the fish could quickly die
other option would be to put water used for water changes in a bucket and let it set for a day for chlorine to dissipate before adding the water to the tank(s)
I have dechlorinator! All of the water I put into the tank was treated with it. I'm reading up on fish in cycling. It'll be stressful for the little guys but I'm hoping they'll pull through.

Some care is better than no care. What your dad did was irresponsible and ignorant, but you seem to know how to care for fish well.
While some things you do for these 4 bettas might not reach certain "standards", you'll be doing your best with what you have.
And honestly I'd try to get your dad to pay for some of the equipment needed because caring for four bettas could be relatively expensive, especially when you're not expecting it.
Animals shouldn't be given to people as gifts unless you know that person is actually going to be able to care for it and would be accepting of another responsibility.

When I was young and on a very small budget, I often when to the LFS to buy a test kit...

And always came back home with food or else, every time.

With a little common sense and discipline. Nobody really needs a test kit. We cycled numerous tanks without ever testing anything, nor adding any startup stuff. As young as we where and succeeding ... It's certainly not rocket surgery.

Your eyes are enough to see how thing are going in there. Maintaining it before it degrades is key.

But Once you can have a test kit, you will quickly understand, how the cycle works.

Just this graph is enough to catch the principle...

timeline1.jpg

This is how a perfect fishless cycle looks like.

It's a 2 step process that will convert a very toxic compound to a another toxic product that builds slower then will convert this to an even slower building and less toxic product. That you have to dilute periodically to maintain at safe levels.

You can trace your tanks own graph going along with your testing results.

This example is based on a fishless cycle and will kill any fishes and plants present in the tank. Because every compound released will reach levels that are too high before being transformed.

The Fishmore method will use the same graph but will use water changes to keep every compound under stressful levels, This can vary (frequency and quantity) depending on the fishes size and numbers. And a lots patience. Once the ammonia spikes start dropping and nitrite levels are growing, big part of the job is done in both cases.

Some care is better than no care. What your dad did was irresponsible and ignorant, but you seem to know how to care for fish well.
While some things you do for these 4 bettas might not reach certain "standards", you'll be doing your best with what you have.
And honestly I'd try to get your dad to pay for some of the equipment needed because caring for four bettas could be relatively expensive, especially when you're not expecting it.
Animals shouldn't be given to people as gifts unless you know that person is actually going to be able to care for it and would be accepting of another responsibility.
Bare minimum, Responsibly housing 1 Betta with everything in Canada at the moment.

Is at least 300$. Fish and food not included.

Bare minimum, Responsibly housing 1 Betta with everything in Canada at the moment.

Is at least 300$. Fish and food not included.
That's INSANE!
He DEFINITELY needs to help you

maybe you can find used tanks with equipment on craigslist or facebook marketplace

I have the money, it just sucks that I have to use it when he's the one who bought the damn fish. And I'm gonna be keeping four. So, that's basically my entire bank account lmao
You may have the money, but I'd still ask him for help and explain the situation he put you in...
As you said: "that's basically my entire bank account"
Gifts are for giving and making someone feeling better, not for taking and making them feel stressed

If your going for cheap, get one good air-pump and four sponge filters for the filtration!

That's INSANE!
He DEFINITELY needs to help you
It's still definitively a lot cheaper than many other hobbies. Guns, Knives, Camping stuff, Sports cars... oooof... Costs multiple tanks a year.

Don't tell my wife I said that, but... For me...Bringing family to the ice capades one evening, is a good setup blown in thin air.

You know when you start to speak in "Tank System"... Just a tank further. It flew around 12 tanks high. This is going to cost a tank. etc..

I restarted a couple months ago and already have 2. "Tank acquisition Syndrome" is very contagious

When you have nearly no place to live... You know you're infected when you start to think to replace the 75 inch TV for a 6 foot wide.

If your going for cheap, get one good air-pump and four sponge filters for the filtration!
But aeration is not vital for bettas and bubblers can stress them bad.

It would work in larger tanks if you install the filter in a corner.

But I would not use them in small tanks, it will not be good. At this point it's better to use a larger tank with a filter and black dividers. A lot easier to maintain.

Normally I use an air stone / air powered filter only to break the oil film that builds up on top of the water with time. In a betta tank as soon as you try to mechanically remove this film. your betta is going to feel it.

An happy betta has nearly no water movement. Standard community aquariums setups are like a washing machine for them.

They are "Special" in many aspects. You can do a 99% water change without even getting them stressed. I mean the belly of the fish touches the deepest place in the tank before you stop draining. and if he is used to the place he will calmly wait until the level goes up and go back to his routine like nothing happened. And they are good to go 2 weeks in an un-cycled tank.

In a small betta tank once you get a hand on feeding, keeping ammonia at bay is a child game. With a little preparation... Once cycled a good planted tank could require... No water changes at all. Just a proactive maintenance of the bio-film accumulating at the surface. And an occasional topping with RO water.

If I ever reach this point, I'm buying a page in the local journal.

But aeration is not vital for bettas and bubblers can stress them bad.

It would work in larger tanks if you install the filter in a corner.

But I would not use them in small tanks, it will not be good. At this point it's better to use a larger tank with a filter and black dividers. A lot easier to maintain.

Normally I use an air stone / air powered filter only to break the oil film that builds up on top of the water with time. In a betta tank as soon as you try to mechanically remove this film. your betta is going to feel it.

An happy betta has nearly no water movement. Standard community aquariums setups are like a washing machine for them.

They are "Special" in many aspects. You can do a 99% water change without even getting them stressed. I mean the belly of the fish touches the deepest place in the tank before you stop draining. and if he is used to the place he will calmly wait until the level goes up and go back to his routine like nothing happened. And they are good to go 2 weeks in an un-cycled tank.

In a small betta tank once you get a hand on feeding, keeping ammonia at bay is a child game. With a little preparation... Once cycled a good planted tank could require... No water changes at all. Just a proactive maintenance of the bio-film accumulating at the surface. And an occasional topping with RO water.

If I ever reach this point, I'm buying a page in the local journal.
I do have ONE air pump, however I'm not entirely sure how to use it. I also don't want to stress the fish in the 5 gallon out, I only just switched him over.

I do have ONE air pump, however I'm not entirely sure how to use it. I also don't want to stress the fish in the 5 gallon out, I only just switched him over.
You have a Bubbler Filter ?!?

A five gallons is alright for it. Put it in the opposite corner you want your fish to be. Only With a Simple sponge inside. All the others without adequate filtration will require regular water changes.

Don't use an air stone alone. It will raise your PH in time and Bettas love soft water and hates bubbles, You can even tolerate decaying plants a lot more than in a a normal tank.

Ahumm.... This is unbearable for you at the moment... I wouldn't do it at my retirement... really... 4 times 5 gallons. all my economies, for real...

Your future has a lot more importance... I'm a square guy... I would flush the fishes in the toilet, right in his face. While telling him how absolutely disconnected he his and maintain my argument until absolute total groundage.

With an air pump, you can lower the amount of airflow it gives. One can still be used on sponge filters for bettas, it just needs to adjusted Malok

Even the one with the filter will need weekly very large water changes with water that is close to the temperature of the original tank water until the tank is cycled. You need filters. The media will be where the beneficial bacteria will build up. Cycling can take several weeks for VB to build up. You’ll know when the cycle finishes via the instructions for fish-in cycling and using the test kit.

Most reactions

Back