My dad randomly brought home four Betta fish with next to no supplies or no nothing to look after them. Any advice is appreciated!

Sixxtyweeks

Reaction score
Alright, so let me explain. I've owned a Betta fish before but I haven't for around a year or so. I had two tanks, one 0.5 gallon and one 1.5 gallon. My dad leaves for work, and last night he came home with four Betta fish (all males) without telling me. I had no idea! The only thing he got for them was fish food. So I was left scrambling to figure out how to look after these fish. My father is VERY ignorant about animal care, and tends to see "cheap" animals as disposable. His whole thing is that if I can keep them alive until Christmas then I get to keep two (first of all, I never even wanted another fish until I moved, so I could get everything I needed.) So, I have two of them set up in two 1.5 gallon tanks. Another is set up in a large plastic container, but it's wider than it is tall so the little guy is clearly stressed out. The last fish is in a smaller plastic container, clearly stressed out from how small it is. It's a lot bigger than the cup they came in, sure, but it's not even a gallon. I got a 5 gallon tank today, so I'll be moving one of them into that, and the other one will go into the 0.5 gallon. So I'll have two fish in two 1.5 gallons, a fish in the 5 gallon, and the other in the 0.5. Bare with me here, I know this is a lot. The problem is that I have no filters and no heaters! He didn't text me or call me or anything before bringing these poor fish home! I'm well aware a 0.5 gallon is NOT enough for a Betta fish, but right now it's all I have. I have them in a room with the heat on, but I'm mostly worried about the lack of filter. I will be leaving town this Friday to see my boyfriend so I can get everything I need then, but I won't be back until the following Friday, unless I want to cut my trip short and go back on Tuesday instead (which I do not want to do considering me and the boyfriend do not see eachother often, but I will if it means preventing the death of innocent creatures). If I partially change the water every few days, keep the heat on, and continue treating the water with waste control / cycle control, is it possible for these fish to make it until i can come home and get everything set up for them? I'm stressing out here! I don't want these fish to suffer or be stressed out because my father is so ignorant about animal care!

I do want to add that the fish in the large plastic container is acting very aggressive, constantly flaring his gills and fins. The one in the smaller container is, understandably, hiding behind his little fake plant, and not eating much. The other two are eating and swimming around just fine.

Eesh what a situation! I'd be concerned about the one in the 0.5 gallon going so long without any water changes, do you potentially have anything else you can transfer him into in the meantime that's a little bigger? or could you bring him with you so that you can keep up with water changes until you get back?

If you don't want all 4 Bettas, perhaps return 3 of them to the fish store and provide the remaining one with what is needed for proper care. Dad should pay for any additional equipment needed. If you keep any of them, you would have to do a fish-in cycling of the tank(s). See my next posts to read about properly cycling.

Tell Dad not to ever buy fish without conferring with you first. As punishment, send Dad to his room and tell him no watching tv or going on the computer.

Last edited:
Yes, I am old and thought that I had heard a lot but, nothing like this. I would tell you father to buy some 5 gallon tanks, heaters and sponge filters and you will look after them. Failing that, tell him to take his fish back to the store or rehome them.

Sweet Christmas gift !!!

Now for his penitence, He has to go back to the store and buy 4 Fluval Betta Premium Kits and 4 thermometers.

That will show him... And specify that all need to be setup and running before you leave. Tell him that nice live plants are also welcomed.

If you don't have any filters don't add waste control and cycle, in reality waste control accelerates breakdown of matter and contribute to accelerate ammonia rise and cycle is a placebo in my mind. Without proper housing (a filter) they wont develop much.

In an un-cycled tank, it could mean rapid ammonia spiking.

But if you tell your dad how much to feed them and when... Ammonia wont be rising too soon in those tanks.

You should be ok... That is.. If you want to have 4 bettas in the future...

If you don't. You should tell him right away and make him understand how much "Work" he has given you. And return the fishes to the store.

If you keep the Bettas, they all need to be in 5 gallon tanks at a minimum. Dad should pay for any additional supplies.

If you keep the Bettas, it sounds like you are going to have to do a fish-in cycling. Fishless cycling is the preferred method but to do that, you would have to return or rehome the Bettas.
If you have to do a fish-in cycling, you must follow the proper procedure.
Click on link below for fish-in cycling.
CLICK HERE

If you return the Bettas and want to get them in the future, you could do a fishless cycle to prepare in advance.before adding fish.
Follow this guide for fishless cycling.
CLICK HERE

Fish-in cycling a 5 gallon, with 1 betta, Is a tremendous task.

In the first months, I try to feed the fish with a dropper directly in his mouth as often as I can, to prevent any nutrients outbreaks. It's a patience game at the start, but after a couple days. Your buddy will be right there waiting for you. Once drilled it takes 2 minutes each.

I thoroughly rinse any frozen food in tap water in a microscopic strainer, before putting it in a cold good "old fashion" drink glass, with a super thick bottom. add a little tank water. Once thawed the coldest you can keep it all the time the longer it last. You can refrigerate the rest for a week afterwards. Don't go more than 2 days without rinsing thawed food before serving. Blood worms are a good indicator, once they start loosing too much colour. Scrap it...

If you have super low current (what betta loves) ...Even doing that, you will end with an epic oil slick floating withing a week.

If you have a tendency to overfeed. Get ready for The Grand Maneuvers.

Ammonia can spike fast to unbelievable levels at these temperatures, even more when fuelled with decaying brine shrimps.

But aren't they worth all the attention ?

If you don't want all 4 Bettas, perhaps return 3 of them to the fish store and provide the remaining one with what is needed for proper care. Dad should pay for any additional equipment needed. If you keep any of them, you would have to do a fish-in cycling of the tank(s). See my next posts to read about properly cycling.

Tell Dad not to ever buy fish without conferring with you first. As punishment, send Dad to his room and tell him no watching tv or going on the computer.
The problem is that the nearest place to return them is about six hours away from my town. Also, my dad is convinced they don't need anything else, hence why I said he's so ignorant about animal care. I can afford everything since I have a job, but still. It's such a crazy situation. I think I'll be cutting my trip short because I can't just let them stay like that. I'll be doing the cycling, of course.

Yes, I am old and thought that I had heard a lot but, nothing like this. I would tell you father to buy some 5 gallon tanks, heaters and sponge filters and you will look after them. Failing that, tell him to take his fish back to the store or rehome them.
He refuses! I think I forgot to mention how much of a stubborn idiot my father is. He absolutely does not take me seriously when I tell him this is a really bad situation, and borders on neglect. I'll be cutting my trip short to get everything I can for them. I'm serious when I tell you he just laughs at me when I bring up my concerns.

to cycle---either fish-less or fish-in, you will need a test kit...API kit is recommended

Eesh what a situation! I'd be concerned about the one in the 0.5 gallon going so long without any water changes, do you potentially have anything else you can transfer him into in the meantime that's a little bigger? or could you bring him with you so that you can keep up with water changes until you get back?
I'm going to be cutting my trip short, just because I can't bare to leave them like that for that long without the necessary supplies. So I'd be gone for five days. I can get my brother to do partial water changes while I'm gone, at least.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back