My dad randomly brought home four Betta fish with next to no supplies or no nothing to look after them. Any advice is appreciated!

Even the one with the filter will need weekly very large water changes with water that is close to the temperature of the original tank water until the tank is cycled. You need filters. The media will be where the beneficial bacteria will build up. Cycling can take several weeks for VB to build up. You’ll know when the cycle finishes via the instructions for fish-in cycling for using the test kit.
I'll be getting a test kit this weekend hopefully! I'll be getting filters and heaters for the tanks as well. Two of the fish I'm only keeping until Christmas, so I think they should be okay with a smaller tank for now. Should I put the air pump in the 5 gallon? I'm still not sure on whether or not I should use it. I dont want to irritate the little guy.

Dont get overly large filters. The smaller the better. Betta prefer little water movement. Most people replace the original cartridges with reuseable sponge material available via Amazon or the fish store. You just rinse out the sponge in tank water and reuse. That way you dont lose the beneficial bacteria.

Yes.
With an air pump, you can lower the amount of airflow it gives. One can still be used on sponge filters for bettas, it just needs to adjusted Malok
I'm positive that you need at least a 5 gallon tank to use air powered filters.

Dont get overly large filters. The smaller the better. Betta prefer little water movement. Most people replace the original cartridges with reuseable sponge material available via Amazon or the fish store. You just rinse out the sponge in tank water and reuse. That way you dont lose the beneficial bacteria.
Thanks for the advice! I'll be sure to do that :)

Most reactions

Back