My cycling fun

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Do you happen to know why diatoms go away in a few weeks? Are they introduced by substates such as sand?

Diatoms are common because of silicates and the ammonia in the water. They usually die off once the ammonia levels remain undetectable and the silicate disappears (used up and removed with water changes)

Diatoms are common because of silicates and the ammonia in the water. They usually die off once the ammonia levels remain undetectable and the silicate disappears (used up and removed with water changes)
Are they the same thing known as brown algae?

Yes, diatoms are the brown dusty layer over the substrate, decor etc. and are very common in newly set up tanks. Other types of algae can be brown but they don't look like a dusty layer.

Yes, diatoms are the brown dusty layer over the substrate, decor etc. and are very common in newly set up tanks. Other types of algae can be brown but they don't look like a dusty layer.
When people say they go away on their own do you mean even the brown layer goes away or that it just doesn't continue to spread and just needs a final clean/vacuum?

For me the UV light has worked wonders my water is crystal clear.

After cleaning several times and seeing them come back I decided to grab 3 nerite snails to add to the cleanup crew. These guys actually move all over the tank at a pretty decent pace leaving clean gravel and decoration in their wake lol.

The only downside is they gross the wife out, but the kids think they look like little aliens with those antenni going all over. I might need to boost my PH though if I notice their shells having issues. I think it stays in the 6.8-7.2 range though I am not sure it is acidic enough to leach their calcium from the shells. Time will tell I guess.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back