My Cory Catfish Fry died only a day after they're born :(

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Why would you ever scrap the eggs off where they were laid and then put them in a plastic container. I find this sort of thing horrifying. Fish lay their eggs in a place they think they will be safe, I hate it when we interfere with nature like that.
I removed the eggs because even though the fish think they laid them in a safe place, they didn't. The eggs were spread all over the glass of the tank, where other fish could easily eat them, includint the parents. Removing the parents would also mean remove all my fish from the main tank in order to prevent the eggs from being eaten and that yes, I would say it's cruel and disruptive of the ecossistem of the tank, not even to mention the stress it would cause in all of the fish. We have to keep in mind that keeping fish in a tank is nothing like the environment they have in the wild, no matter what we do to make it as similar as possible, it will never be the same, but we also can't compare our tanks and the fish we keep in them with the wild and the fish that live there. The fish we keep in our tanks were born in captivity and their instincts are no longer exactly the same as the wild fish's, so we have to adapt as well as they did.

In order to save as many fry as possible a lot of people do remove their eggs from the tanks because if they don't pretty much all the eggs will be eaten and if they don't, the fry will eventually get eaten by the rest of the fish because of enoumerous difeent reasons that may change acording to each situation.

I understand that you find the practise "not natural", but keep in mind that keeping aquariums is also "not natural". Try to see beyond that linear comparison of the "what happens in nature VS in tanks" because within the "not natural" world, we have to adapt and do our best to and for our fish.

I'm a vet and I studied a lot of the things I mentioned and these are more os less the things I tell to the owners of other species of animals I come across with. So I hope this helps you understand what a mean and why I (and so many other fish keepers) choose the do these kind of things.
With all said, I don't want by any means to tell you that you should do the same. Everyone is free of doing things as they wish and feel that suits them better. I just feel that it has to be more understanding and respect for all diferent kinds of practices. After all, we're all here because we love our fish!

Thank you @Colin_T. I find this practice barbaric, unacceptable and unnecessary. I just wish it was never suggested in the first place.
im scared of doing it lol
i dont want the baby fishies inside to get all humbled up.
but once they hatch they might get eaten...

BTW : There are fish that care for their eggs and fry : In that case one shouldn't remove eggs, fry or parents ofcourse.
im scared of doing it lol
i dont want the baby fishies inside to get all humbled up.
but once they hatch they might get eaten...
When you scrape them of there aren't baby fishies inside. just 2 cells clinging together and multiplying.

I removed the eggs because even though the fish think they laid them in a safe place, they didn't. The eggs were spread all over the glass of the tank, where other fish could easily eat them, includint the parents. Removing the parents would also mean remove all my fish from the main tank in order to prevent the eggs from being eaten and that yes, I would say it's cruel and disruptive of the ecossistem of the tank, not even to mention the stress it would cause in all of the fish. We have to keep in mind that keeping fish in a tank is nothing like the environment they have in the wild, no matter what we do to make it as similar as possible, it will never be the same, but we also can't compare our tanks and the fish we keep in them with the wild and the fish that live there. The fish we keep in our tanks were born in captivity and their instincts are no longer exactly the same as the wild fish's, so we have to adapt as well as they did.

In order to save as many fry as possible a lot of people do remove their eggs from the tanks because if they don't pretty much all the eggs will be eaten and if they don't, the fry will eventually get eaten by the rest of the fish because of enoumerous difeent reasons that may change acording to each situation.

I understand that you find the practise "not natural", but keep in mind that keeping aquariums is also "not natural". Try to see beyond that linear comparison of the "what happens in nature VS in tanks" because within the "not natural" world, we have to adapt and do our best to and for our fish.

I'm a vet and I studied a lot of the things I mentioned and these are more os less the things I tell to the owners of other species of animals I come across with. So I hope this helps you understand what a mean and why I (and so many other fish keepers) choose the do these kind of things.
With all said, I don't want by any means to tell you that you should do the same. Everyone is free of doing things as they wish and feel that suits them better. I just feel that it has to be more understanding and respect for all diferent kinds of practices. After all, we're all here because we love our fish!
That is a very good justification for why you would want to scrape eggs off your tank, I like the bit about you being a vet, that really legitimizes the practice. With time you will perfect this practice, I wish you luck.

BTW : There are fish that care for their eggs and fry : In that case one shouldn't remove eggs, fry or parents ofcourse.

When you scrape them of there aren't baby fishies inside. just 2 cells clinging together and multiplying.
oh yea im talking about cories.
should i remove them?

oh yea im talking about cories.
should i remove them?
It's really up to you and what it's your goal, I guess.
If your goal is to get as many fry as you can, than I would say that removing the eggs from the community tank is the way, since there most of them (if not all) will be eatten by the other fish in the tank and/or the parents.

On the other hand, if you just want to do it for fun or do not really care about how many fry will make it, than just let them stay there and see what comes from that.

It's really up to you and what it's your goal, I guess.
If your goal is to get as many fry as you can, than I would say that removing the eggs from the community tank is the way, since there most of them (if not all) will be eatten by the other fish in the tank and/or the parents.

On the other hand, if you just want to do it for fun or do not really care about how many fry will make it, than just let them stay there and see what comes from that.
ok! can i put them in a breeder?
my tank has flow so no infusoria can grow

Just wanted to say this.
Advantage is that the waterbody is much bigger then and constantly refreshed in the breeder

Easy way to get around the parents eating their fry is to set up a cave about 3-5 mm off the base of your tank, the fry will go and hang out there and the parents can't get them. If you feed them egg yolk pushed through some cloth it will form a cloud and then that food will drift into the cave. I have raised dozens of catfish using this method

Easy way to get around the parents eating their fry is to set up a cave about 3-5 mm off the base of your tank, the fry will go and hang out there and the parents can't get them. If you feed them egg yolk pushed through some cloth it will form a cloud and then that food will drift into the cave. I have raised dozens of catfish using this method
The parents (and other fish) often eat the eggs within hours after they are laid, So most eggs won't make it to fry.

The parents (and other fish) often eat the eggs within hours after they are laid, So most eggs won't make it to fry.
The parents don't want to eat their fry, but they are opportunists keep the adult fish happy and well fed they won't eat their eggs or the fry. There are no animals on earth that go out to destroy their offspring.

You can put them in a breeder. But take in consideration the holes in the breeder because cory fry are so small that they may easily be able to go through the holes of a regular breeder

The parents don't want to eat their fry, but they are opportunists keep the adult fish happy and well fed they won't eat their eggs or the fry. There are no animals on earth that go out to destroy their offspring.
You are definitely wrong on this.
I don't exactly know where you get your information but it is simply incorrect. Kept several Cory species over the years, they are all wellfed, in great condition and all eat the eggs when they get the chance.
The reason probably is that they are not in a natural situation en encountering the eggs ( and fry ) in there small enclosure which they wouldn't in nature.

Most reactions

trending

Back