My Cory Catfish Fry died only a day after they're born :(

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I only tested the water almost a week after they died, not only because it was about time but also because i started to notice some changes in the other fish behaviour. At the time they died, i thought the parameters were all within the reference values, but when I tested the water a week later (the strips I use test for nitrate, NO2, GH, KH, pH and Cl), all the values were good except the nitrate that was about 100 mg/L, and the NO2 that was around 5 mg/L
The nitrates will be less than 100ppm because it will be reading the nitrite as nitrate. But any nitrite (NO2) will kill baby fish, and a reading of 5ppm (5mg/l) will kill adult fish too.

You should check the water for ammonia (NH3/ NH4) too. The paper strip test kit doesn't have that.

It would appear the filter has not cycled on the tank and that is why you have a nitrite reading and maybe an ammonia reading too. Ammonia and nitrite will both kill fish.

i think it is starvation by how they described it...
were there almond leaves and stuff?
did you feed them
and what did youfedd them(if you did)
The first days they'll eat their eggsac, so starvation isn't likely. Is there aeration in thefry tank ?

The nitrates will be less than 100ppm because it will be reading the nitrite as nitrate. But any nitrite (NO2) will kill baby fish, and a reading of 5ppm (5mg/l) will kill adult fish too.

You should check the water for ammonia (NH3/ NH4) too. The paper strip test kit doesn't have that.

It would appear the filter has not cycled on the tank and that is why you have a nitrite reading and maybe an ammonia reading too. Ammonia and nitrite will both kill fish.
I cleaned the filter recently (with warm tap water so I dont remove all the beneficial bacteria).
I'll have to get ammonia tests then. Thanks for the recomendation!
The first days they'll eat their eggsac, so starvation isn't likely. Is there aeration in thefry tank ?
In the thank where I keep all my fry, yes, there is aeration. But at the time they died they were still in the plastic container where I placed the eggs after removing them from the glass of the tank. So in thar container, there was no aeration, only the small water changes I made

I cleaned the filter recently (with warm tap water so I dont remove all the beneficial bacteria).
Cleaning a filter with tap water will kill bacteria, it doesn't matter whether it's warm or cold. Tap water contains chlorine or chloramine added to the water to kill bacteria and make it safe to drink. it also kills the good bacteria. The filter media should be cleaned in tank water that's been removed as part of a water change. The only part of a filter that can be cleaned in tap water is the casing.

Cleaning a filter with tap water will kill bacteria, it doesn't matter whether it's warm or cold. Tap water contains chlorine or chloramine added to the water to kill bacteria and make it safe to drink. it also kills the good bacteria. The filter media should be cleaned in tank water that's been removed as part of a water change. The only part of a filter that can be cleaned in tap water is the casing.
Oh thanks, didn't know about that!
I'll be more careful

Why would you ever scrap the eggs off where they were laid and then put them in a plastic container. I find this sort of thing horrifying. Fish lay their eggs in a place they think they will be safe, I hate it when we interfere with nature like that.

Last edited:
Why would you ever scrap the eggs off where they were laid and then put them in a plastic container. I find this sort of thing horrifying. Fish lay their eggs in a place they think they will be safe, I hate it when we interfere with nature like that that.
It's common practice for lots of people. I personally don't do it but lots of other people do. It's like picking rainbowfish eggs from spawning mops. Heaps of people do that but I have problems with the fry when I do it.

It's common practice for lots of people. I personally don't do it but lots of other people do. It's like picking rainbowfish eggs from spawning mops. Heaps of people do that but I have problems with the fry when I do it.
Thank you @Colin_T. I find this practice barbaric, unacceptable and unnecessary. I just wish it was never suggested in the first place.

Why would you ever scrap the eggs off where they were laid and then put them in a plastic container. I find this sort of thing horrifying. Fish lay their eggs in a place they think they will be safe, I hate it when we interfere with nature like that.
Uhhhhh putting fish in a tank is allreadyb interfering in nature. Eggs laid by those fish aren't in a safe place (often they are even eaten by their parents for that reason).
So I don't exactly what's wrong saving these eggs and trying to raise fry to new fish.
I don't exactly get what is so horrifying.
Ethical wise we shouldn't even keep fish.

Uhhhhh putting fish in a tank is allreadyb interfering in nature. Eggs laid by those fish aren't in a safe place (often they are even eaten by their parents for that reason).
So I don't exactly what's wrong saving these eggs and trying to raise fry to new fish.
I don't exactly get what is so horrifying.
Ethical wise we shouldn't even keep fish.
Leave the eggs where they are laid. Remove the parents if you like, otherwise let nature take its coarse. If your tank is set up properly some fry will survive and join their parents school.

Leave the eggs where they are laid. Remove the parents if you like, otherwise let nature take its coarse. If your tank is set up properly some fry will survive and join their parents school.
Why ??? The only thing one does is taking care for the eggs and fry. I think it is more "cruel" to put the parents in a temporary place than make the fry hatch in a safe place.
Is that natural?

Come on, nothing wrong to remove eggs and taking care / let them hatch in a different place under the right conditions and safe for their parents and other predators.

I really don't get your point. Nothing wrong or cruel about it.

Does a farmer remove the chicken eggs or his chicken ?

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back