My clown loaches

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

impur

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I got 4 small feeders for my GT and JD yesterday. My Deppii got one of the feeders and tore it to shreds, but doesn't have a large enough mouth to eat it all the way. So as the dead feeder (sounds grousome(sp?)) is on the bottom, the clown loaches started to nibble. The smallest one was there first and i heard him clicking. Then like a second later the other 2 where there with him and all 3 were clicking. It was kewl, never heard it before. BTW are these guys nocturnal? I get a little worried if they are getting enough food. Although they do graze at the surface like the danios do. Odd.

Diurnal mostly - but mine are out at any time - larger groups seem to be more adventurous....

....yep that clicking can get quite load :music:

....ever seen the eye spikes? (someone give us the proper name I forget)

:)

The famous gill spines

post-22-1055585659.jpg

eye spikes = gill spines :lol: lol close enough

cheers dolphin ;)

:)

In dolpins absence I believe that is his fish, he ahd a post with a small story about the taking of the picture, can't remember where though and am too lazy to search right now....

i didnt know they clicked but i do now i was going to get a clown loach but some one convinced me to get a irridesant shark... well i didnt take much convincing at the time but i still feel kinda stupid for not looking into it first.

I can only hear my three clowns click when they come to the surface. It sounds like they are trying to drink but keep slurping!! :lol:

Only happens at feeding, but you can hear it across the room!! :fun:

Hi new to this...... little advice please?

After cleaning out some of the mess in the bottom of the tank with a ‘tank vac’ a sat down and looked at the tank. Then I noticed something strange the three clown loaches that are always together… weren’t, odd I thought so investigated further!

Two clowns where running around as usually, but one was not moving much at all and was breathing very rapidly, I thought it might have been the excitement of been cleaned out?

Then later I went back to the tank to see if it had calmed down… alas no luck and it now had its eye spikes locked in the out position… I was worried it might catch one of the other fish. Again I left the tank and came back later.

It now had its head in a plant and was not putting in any effort to right its self-back in to a normal swimming position. It also seamed to be twitching very slightly although it was always a very busy, erratic fish.

I placed my hand in to the tank to move it to a quite area so it could recover in peace, but as soon as my hand got close, it swam off at quite a speed although admittedly leaning to one side.

I thought it might recover but in the morning was found with its spikes tangled in a plant.

The other two are still fine…. Although depressed at the loss of a comrade.

Has any one had this happen to them or is it a situation of worrying about nothing?

I thought it could have been stress … hart attack? Old age?

(When I got the clown out of the tank there where no marks, wounds, swelling or smell and while it was alive there was no lost of any of its brilliant colour)

got 4 small feeders for my GT and JD yesterday. My Deppii got one of the feeders and tore it to shreds, but doesn't have a large enough mouth to eat it all the way. So as the dead feeder (sounds grousome(sp?)) is on the bottom, the clown loaches started to nibble. The smallest one was there first and i heard him clicking. Then like a second later the other 2 where there with him and all 3 were clicking. It was kewl, never heard it before. BTW are these guys nocturnal? I get a little worried if they are getting enough food. Although they do graze at the surface like the danios do. Odd.

My Clown fish WAKES ME UP IN THE MORNING!!! My husband hears him too. We cracked up the first time we heard it. Awesome!!!
Deb :lol:

got 4 small feeders for my GT and JD yesterday. My Deppii got one of the feeders and tore it to shreds, but doesn't have a large enough mouth to eat it all the way. So as the dead feeder (sounds grousome(sp?)) is on the bottom, the clown loaches started to nibble. The smallest one was there first and i heard him clicking. Then like a second later the other 2 where there with him and all 3 were clicking. It was kewl, never heard it before. BTW are these guys nocturnal? I get a little worried if they are getting enough food. Although they do graze at the surface like the danios do. Odd.

My Clown fish WAKES ME UP IN THE MORNING!!! My husband hears him too. We cracked up the first time we heard it. Awesome!!!
Deb :lol:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back