my christmas gift

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

loveslivinlife_05

Reaction score
Hi, I recieved a Clown Knife fish for a christmas gift, he's about 10 inches long i'd say (cant really tell, because water distorts things) and i have him in a 20 gal tank. and i bought some plants and stuff at walmart, he's living fine in the tank, i have a filter and a bubble screen ( he likes it and he plays in it constantly. i dont know why! lol ) and i know he's nocturnal and he's a predator. but he's been living in a tank eating and surviving with large goldfish for quite a while now, i'd say over a year, i've had him for about a week but i'm not sure if he's still adapting to the new environment or what? i got a tank heater so the tank is at about 80 degree's. he plays around it constantly, but i've only seen him eat a few floating fish pellets. i'm trying to convince myself to go out and spend the money on the goldfish but i dont know if he will eat them if i buy some. i dont know what to do, i'm worried about my poor beautiful fish and i want to keep him alive! what do i do? any input is appreciated. thanks, Jasmine

he's a tropical fish... Gold fish are cold water (and VERY messy)

They dont mix. :no:

I think their talking about feeder goldfish for the clown knife to eat...

I think you should ask in the oddballs section.

I'd continue feeding it pellets if that's what it eats - there's no problem with doing that. Besides feeder fish tend to carry disease. If you did want to feed it live fish, guppies would be better as you could breed them yourself cheaply in a smallish tank and so make sure they are healthy.

Also, you can't keep a 10 inch fish in a 20 gallon tank! Consider that this fish probably came from some huge lake or something - do get him a MUCH larger tank - say 55 gallons - or give him away to someone who can house him adequately.

20g for a 10inch clown knife is way way way too small.
I house my 3 inch clown knife in a 20g.
Its going into a 180g when it gets larger, and a tank thats 2 feet wide is the minimum to house these fish.

yep, a 20G is definatly too small, thats why he is like that... i dont blame him though :unsure:

sylvia said:
I think their talking about feeder goldfish for the clown knife to eat...
"but i dont know if he will eat them if i buy some"

I read that wrong - sorry :whistle:

1(13).jpg
:blink:

A little big for a 20G! IMO

that's a massive fish.

yeah they get to like 2 feet. U need like a 200 gallon tank for tha thing.

ok in that pic, are you fishing for them???! thats the way it looks in that pic! omfg thats huge! that is wayy too big, i might have to get rid of Fishie! awww sadness! ilove him, but i want him to have a good environment, might have to get rid of the kit and kabootle. i'll start seeing where i can get rid of him. i dont want him to be a 6ft tall person in a one inch box! :byebye: i love you fishie. he's gotta go, i cant treat him like that. thats soo sad!

I would definately agree too small of a tank... the clown knife fish will eat smaller feeder goldfish, but make sure you get healthy stock, no spots marks or frayed fins, good color, active.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back