My Brackish Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ranchu

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score

I'm not sure if all these fishes brackish :) ut they sure look like a good team in a brackish set up.

What do you think?

wouldnt know if they all brackish or not. Tanks looks awesome tho mate

couldnt really see what was in there tbh. i picked out archer fish which can be brackish dependant on species, a birchir? which isnt brackish, a bass of some sort? again not brackish the rest i couldnt make out.

what is the salinity of the tank?

Yes, all looks very pretty and atmospheric. I like the style of this aquarium a lot.

However, the bichir isn't a brackish water fish and likely won't appreciate being kept in brackish water for long. The Cichla sp. bass tolerates slightly brackish water but will get HUGE. There are some cyprinids schooling about in midwater that surely don't belong in brackish water.

Cheers, Neale

I'm not sure if all these fishes brackish but they sure look like a good team in a brackish set up.
What do you think?

I thought archer fish needed plants etc over the tank?

Thank you very much for the replies. :good:

I trust your experiences more than the internet references (which varies... I dunno how to pick the right one...)

I'm listing the tank inhabitants below, please let me know which I need to take out immediately

1) Archer Fish
2) Scats
3) Indo Tiger
4) Peacock Bass
5) Banded Leporinus
6) Indo Pacific Tarpons
7) Bichir
8) Pink Tail Characin

Also, I want more colorful fishes in the tank... Any recommendations?

1) Archer Fish
2) Scats
Both brackish, and get along well.

3) Indo Tiger
Depends on the Datnioides species. Datnioides microlepis is not a brackish water fish, but tolerates low-end brackish perfectly well.

4) Peacock Bass
Really a freshwater fish. Gets enormous.

5) Banded Leporinus
Definitely a freshwater fish. Gets big and can be (usually is) a very aggressive fish with the habit of eating fins and scales from tankmates. A bichir for example would be an extremely poor tankmate.

6) Indo Pacific Tarpons
Get huge, around 100 cm. Brackish/marine, including the ones sold in the trade, which come from Southeast Asia. There is an Australian freshwater race, but it isn't traded (almost no wild-caught Australian freshwater fish are exported). None make good aquarium fish unless you work for Seaworld!!!

7) Bichir
Freshwater fish.

8) Pink Tail Characin
Freshwater fish. Does poorly in most aquaria because of its large size and nervous temperament.

Cheers, Neale

1) Archer Fish
2) Scats
Both brackish, and get along well.

3) Indo Tiger
Depends on the Datnioides species. Datnioides microlepis is not a brackish water fish, but tolerates low-end brackish perfectly well.

4) Peacock Bass
Really a freshwater fish. Gets enormous.

5) Banded Leporinus
Definitely a freshwater fish. Gets big and can be (usually is) a very aggressive fish with the habit of eating fins and scales from tankmates. A bichir for example would be an extremely poor tankmate.

6) Indo Pacific Tarpons
Get huge, around 100 cm. Brackish/marine, including the ones sold in the trade, which come from Southeast Asia. There is an Australian freshwater race, but it isn't traded (almost no wild-caught Australian freshwater fish are exported). None make good aquarium fish unless you work for Seaworld!!!

7) Bichir
Freshwater fish.

8) Pink Tail Characin
Freshwater fish. Does poorly in most aquaria because of its large size and nervous temperament.

Cheers, Neale

Ulp... Looks like I won't convert it to a fully brackish tank afterall... thanks for the heads up

Great looking tank, go low end brackish and swop the freshwater ones for something more tolerant, plenty of options. Be a shame to lose the 'mood' of that set up :good: Great to see some happy looking archers for a change. :)

It's far from exhaustive, but my Brackish FAQ covers most of the species you'll see in the trade.

http://homepage.mac.com/nmonks/Projects/brackishfaq.html

And then of course there's my book and the Aqualog book, which surprisingly enough are quite different in scope and coverage, though there is a lot of overlap. My book is about keeping the fishes, and the coverage includes low and high-end brackish water species, while the Aqualog book is much more scientific, covers a lot of rare species (and plants!), but concentrates entirely on species kept in high-end to marine conditions.

Cheers, Neale

hello Neale...

Do you have a list of Brackish Aquarium Fishes?

Also, what species of archers are they? Most likely they will be the larger brackish water species, but then theres a chance of them being Toxotes microlepis. In which case id say lowend brackish at the most but its not entirely needed. I keep mine in freshwater and they are as happy as can be!

Most reactions

Back