My betta is aggressive at night... kinda

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Should I remove the tetras, they might not be in much danger.

• Nah, observe more.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
To echo what Byron said: Bloodfin Tetra and Betta won't work in the same tank - ever.
That sucks, is it bloodfin tetras in general, ara is all tetras bad with bettas.

As I said previously, the Bloodfin Tetras are not good community fish because they are prone to nip fins of any sedate (like bettas, male or female) fish, and sometimes others too. I will leave it for others who have betta sorority tanks to comment on tankmates, but certainly they should not be Bloodfins.

As I said previously, the Bloodfin Tetras are not good community fish because they are prone to nip fins of any sedate (like bettas, male or female) fish, and sometimes others too. I will leave it for others who have betta sorority tanks to comment on tankmates, but certainly they should not be Bloodfins.
Thanks, that sucks, im probubly getting a 20 gallon and didnt want to return the tetras.

Thanks, that sucks, im probubly getting a 20 gallon and didnt want to return the tetras.

You could have a 20g with just this species, Bloodfin Tetra, and get a few more. A group of 9-12 for example. But no other upper level fish. Substrate fish like a small group of cories or a small loricariid wold be OK.

You could have a 20g with just this species, Bloodfin Tetra, and get a few more. A group of 9-12 for example. But no other upper level fish. Substrate fish like a small group of cories or a small loricariid wold be OK.
Oh, that kinda sucks. I want a fishtank for the living room. Im going to keep looking at fish and choose the best one. A little larger fish would look nice. Do you know if lamp eye tetras ane good in a comunity tank.

Hi

First up can I see a photo of your tank? To keep a sorority you need a heavily planted tank.

As somebody who keeps a sorority I would say maybe Kuhli Loaches it depends on the girls also be aware that the girls will steal their tank mates food.

When I say heavily planted I mean something like this.
O0pXJSN.jpg

You asked about "lamp eye tetra" so I'd like to explain something about names. Common names of fish can be very confusing, because they often apply to more than one species depending where you are. Aquarists in North America often use different common names than those in the UK, or Europe, or Australia. This is why it is always best to do your own research to find the scientific name and then when you ask us about the species we will know exactly what you are thinking of.

I have seen Lampeye tetra refer to a couple different species. One of these is this one, Moenkhausia sanctaefilomenae. I used to know this species as "Beacon Tetra." So pinning down the scientific name will allow us to give more reliable advice. Here is the data from Seriously Fish:

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/moenkhausia-sanctaefilomenae/

If this is the species you are referring too, it should have a larger tank than a 20g, as it mentions in that linked information.

Edit. Forgot to explain how to find the scientific name. Use Google or Bing or whatever search engine you have on your computer and search for the common name you have or your store uses. A list of sites will come up. Many sites will provide the scientific name for that fish, and may have photos so you will know it is or is not the species you are looking for. You can also use the scientific name to search on sites like Seriously Fish which has information and photos of that species which you can use to confirm that is what you are thinking of.

Last edited:
Hi

First up can I see a photo of your tank? To keep a sorority you need a heavily planted tank.

As somebody who keeps a sorority I would say maybe Kuhli Loaches it depends on the girls also be aware that the girls will steal their tank mates food.

O0pXJSN.jpg
You asked about "lamp eye tetra" so I'd like to explain something about names. Common names of fish can be very confusing, because they often apply to more than one species depending where you are. Aquarists in North America often use different common names than those in the UK, or Europe, or Australia. This is why it is always best to do your own research to find the scientific name and then when you ask us about the species we will know exactly what you are thinking of.

I have seen Lampeye tetra refer to a couple different species. One of these is this one, Moenkhausia sanctaefilomenae. I used to know this species as "Beacon Tetra." So pinning down the scientific name will allow us to give more reliable advice. Here is the data from Seriously Fish:

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/moenkhausia-sanctaefilomenae/

If this is the species you are referring too, it should have a larger tank than a 20g, as it mentions in that linked information.

Edit. Forgot to explain how to find the scientific name. Use Google or Bing or whatever search engine you have on your computer and search for the common name you have or your store uses. A list of sites will come up. Many sites will provide the scientific name for that fish, and may have photos so you will know it is or is not the species you are looking for. You can also use the scientific name to search on sites like Seriously Fish which has information and photos of that species which you can use to confirm that is what you are thinking of.
Ok, thanks.

Hi

O0pXJSN.jpg
Hi

O0pXJSN.jpg
It wont let me post, I only have a 10 gal with a male betta, it isnt planted there is a moss ball.

Most reactions

trending

Back