My betta fish community tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your set up seems to contradict every rule in the book, and like everyone else, I'm interested in seeing pictures. But I also had an aquarium situation that had broken rules and gotten a lot of flack that didn't seem fair, so don't be discouraged from posting. The point of a forum is for people of contrasting opinions to express their ideas and for others to learn from them. Having been insulted and driven out of a forum or two because of my koi, whose environment doesn't live up to other's high standards, though I've had him for a long time and he's healthy, I can sympathize with you, eventhough I may not necessarily agree with your practices. That was a run-on.

I also have more than one male betta in an aquarium, but there is a clear partition dividing the tank. They get the mental stimulation of seeing eachother, which I think is a good thing, but the partition saves them from the traumas associated with fighting (fin tears, injuries, etc). I have kept bettas in this condition before and find that they do far better and live much longer than the ones I've kept in singly.

Fassolt, one of my bettas, also enjoys the company of three bridget barbs (Very small cyprinids, like 2/3 inch long, very fast, and non-nippy). The barbs were used to cycle the tank. They are about 2 years old now, so I doubt they'll live much longer, and I've not seen them in a store since, so I have to find another fish to fit the bill. Fassolt chases them, but he can never catch them. I would like to add a small school of a kind of smallish fish like that for Fafner, but I'm buying my time, until I find a fish that I like that fits that description well. I've abandoned the livebearer idea. The livebearers look terrible in the stores I go to anyway.

I want Fassolt and Faffner used to other fish in their tank, because I plan on setting them up in a larger tank when I move back to Florida. I have a 20-gallon over there that's not being used.

Keep me posted on what's going on with your tank, I'm keenly interested.

:)

personally i dont agree with it!The fish will be stressed.Many people have tried and failed.but we are forever trying to pick up the pieces after someone having read something on the internet went out and bought 3 male bettas and they fought.I and most others on TFF have seen 1st hand the damage bettas can do if they upset eachother and end up in a fight which is very likley in your tank.People have trouble keeping females together!
id love to see pics..........
i dont think it wil work and you are being selfish putting bettas in a tank nothing like their original habitat which could stress and potentially kill the fish for an experiment :dunno:

I have to admit......the guy is trying something that could be incredible. However, from what I can see.......he is EXPERIMENTING with LIVE ANIMALS!!! I know sometimes this is the only way we learn but......... fish have died for this....probably stunning fish who didn't deserve it.
If this was in a MUCH bigger tank then it might be wonderful!! I have to admit.......I would LOVE to have a HUGE tank that I could have a few males and a school of females like the one that has already been.
Personally......I would NEVER even consider doing this to my babies!!!!
As Wuv said........in a warm enough environment (not in the UK!!!!) a large pond might work - although I would want it to be more like a lake.
I am torn on this..... a large part of me is so against this but how amazing would it be if it could work without fish being stressed and shredded.
In my personal opinion what we should be trying to do is create an environment for our fish that is as close to the natural environment as possible. Where they will be happy and as stress free as possible - maybe I am being naive and idealistic but a girl can dream right?!? I think I would be happier if they were in a much bigger tank!!
I think absolutely everyone that has posted here has very very good points and congrats on the restraint that has been needed for some of us!!
I would still love to see pictures and I am very curious if this could work and by that I mean work perfectly....no stress...no kills......no fights - as I said...a girl can dream!!

I could try to set up a tank with puffers in a community, and can you imagine what would happen eventually? And can you imagine the replies I'd get if I posted something like that in the puffer section? Yeah. They might not be as reserved as this. Basically, I could type at you until I am blue in the face, but the only way I guess you will learn from this, unfortunately, is when you come in one day to dead and injured fish. If you don't believe us who tell you this (you arent the first person to try this, don't believe me? google it.) then you are just going to have to be one of those people who learn the hard way and will eventually kill living, breathing creatures who are at your mercy.

xxSarahxx is right
no animal however small should NOT under any circumstances be experimented on.Because basically that is what he is doing.We wouldnt accept it with dogs,cats,horses even puffers and it is wrong with bettas.

i so agree
i dont even know if i wanna see a pic of this, but i am curious on what it does look like and what condishion the fish are in

Mr. Shums ..... please... please.. post some pictures on here.... if it is working than we will be so supportive and you wil be famous!
Please... let us see what's going on.

Wow, I stepped away for like not two hours. I'M SO HAPPY that there's such an intrest here, most people have little respect for what I've been trying to accomplish. I'll admit, I was unorothdox originally. i didn't have to health of the fish in mind, HOWEVER from my experiences and the losses of those inital fish I now have a safe technique of creating a betta fish community. My fish, obviously are less precious in monetary value and trying this with more expensive bettas would result in less impressive finnage initally, however after everything is said and done the fins grow back and lost scales become vibrant colors. Human friends come and go, we fight with lovers and kill one another. Our scars heal and we remember why we got them. Assuming these fish are too unintellegent to co exist peacefully is specieist :D

I'll update with pictures tonight, thanks to the intrest from the community.
you'll see some shorter fins, but that in part is my fault for a new feeding schedule.

They've returned to their old feeding schedule and are already existing with less tension then with my revised feeding plan.
Also i've found hallogen lights to add to thier agressive nature.

You'll see some healthy females though. They're one thing I pride myself in.
I have little tolerance for overly agressive males, I suppose I should put more research into male behavior, I haven't studied them as extensively as the females.

I can't wait for the pictures!
It's not the financial issue we're worried about. Animals have died!!! Innocent, beautiful, wonderful living creatures that have feelings, emotional and physical.
Again looking forward to the pictures.

Edit: spelling!!

xxSarahxx said:
I can't wait for the pictures!
It's not the financial issue we're worried about. Animals have died!!! Innocent, beautiful, wonderful living creatures that have feelings, emotional and physical.
Again looking forward to the pictures.

Edit: spelling!!
[snapback]871370[/snapback]​

I was speaking of the process, not the loss of those fish. The original tank was too small and I was too rushed in my work, that was when the fatalities occured. The entire process itself is rather safe. Other then lack of impressive finnage and some lost scales, little damage was incured to the fish.

I have little tolerance for overly agressive males, I suppose I should put more research into male behavior, I haven't studied them as extensively as the females
Not a fan of this statement.... tolerance!?!?!? I'm sorry but again...they are alive and have their own personalities and characters.
I do think it might be wise to research the males seeing as these are the ones who are known to be territorial and who fight.

these arnt just males or females you can use for anything you like
and treat anyway you like
and exeperiment on!!!!!!!!
they are living animals that have personalitys and if you took the time to find out!
we dont care about how much money you have all we ask is that you have respect for these wonderful creatures and dont treat them as a project so you can find something out for yourslef.Regardless of how selfish your being
as afew people said this has been done..........in ponds!!!!!!!Which will be loads bigger than your tank.As you said you had some die at the beginning,those fish could of lived long lives!!!!but instead they got killed so you could experiment

i would like to see some pics of the set-up and what the bettas look like b4 i pass judgement altho i dont like the fact he has been exeperimenting on them

germanshepherdlver said:
these arnt just males or females you can use for anything you like
and treat anyway you like
and exeperiment on!!!!!!!!
they are living animals that have personalitys and if you took the time to find out!
we dont care about how much money you have all we ask is that you have respect for these wonderful creatures and dont treat them as a project so you can find something out for yourslef.Regardless of how selfish your being
as afew people said this has been done..........in ponds!!!!!!!Which will be loads bigger than your tank.As you said you had some die at the beginning,those fish could of lived long lives!!!!but instead they got killed so you could experiment
[snapback]871455[/snapback]​

I'm impressed with your INCREDIBLY thought out response.
Seriously though, don't post meaningless dribble like that. You're only saying whats been said but in a way less constructive response. I'm betting you probably care about my lost betta fish less then you care about your own post count.

I don't mind critisicm, I understand the implications and risks of what I'm doing. HOWEVER I do ask that you be constructive instead of posting the first thing that comes to your head. "OH NO THE WONDERFULz BERETTA FISH"

If you have an opinion thats fine. Uneducated as it might be about the subject, I would still appreciate your opinion. I still ask however that you keep an open mind and realize i understand the loss of life, and that all creatures are of equal importance. If you had read this seriously you'd realize that's exactly what I'm trying to prove.

Edit: and I haven't "tried", I've succeded. I'm only reporting my findings to the community.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back