my Asian Aro

simonas

stuck between a rock and a fish tank
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Someone on another thread asked for pics of my aro.

It is a Banjar red x tan Yong asian aro. I got it in Feb at about 7" and its grown very quickly. Lovely fish and the first I have kept. It is a greedy pig and can be an idiot at feeding time but on the whole I love watching it as its a greaceful looking fish.

Its in my 72 x 30x24 but I have a 9ft coming in 3 weeks or so so I am looking forward to seeing it grow in there
ARO 1.jpeg
ARO 3.jpeg
ARO2.jpeg

Attachments

• ARO 3.jpeg
    ARO 3.jpeg
    324.3 KB · Views: 4
@simonas you have the coolest fish... your tanks look like mine 20 years ago ( meant as a compliment ) mine are now as much natural looking community tanks... but I had large piranhas in the day... a Red Breasted Pacu that got to over 20" in my tank, a silver south American Arowana, that got to about 20 inches ( actually had that one stuffed, when I lost him ) only to later lose the stuffed version to a flooded basement one year... did salt water, had a lion fish as big as a football, in with a slipper lobster that got to 10" long... had a large pink & purple snail that was near football size... he would take the spire of his shell, & push up the glass cover, & spray water at people who walked by... ah... the good old days :)

I have Bichirs now, in my Tilapia grow tanks outside, 3 of them are in the plant growing tank, & have a 250 gallon tank to them selves, in a few weeks as winter comes & Tilapia harvest starts, they'll be moved inside, with a gang of Silver Dollars ( about as "grand" as my fish get, except for my school of the smaller variety of Tin Foil Barbs, which are 5 to 6 inches right now )

Last edited:
Cheers bud. I've always liked bigger predators. First started with fish in 1991 when I was 15 and within months I bought an african knifefish and it kind of went from there.

I do kind of want to do a discus tank again though with a load of tetras , corys etc

I started out with Piranha's in my teens... my dad knew a guy, who ran the local "boys ranch" & he had a 55 gallon tank with 4 -10 inch piranha's, that had to go... before that I had been buying little ones from the local "dime store" that were about a cm long, & I was growing those... it defiantly changed me having 4 - 10 inch piranha's all at once... I know now, that some feeding beef & poultry aren't good to feed to some fish... back then we raised chickens & no one liked the livers, so that's what my fish got... it sure made the water cloudy at feeding time... but they sure gobbled them up

BTW... I'm thinking of setting up an acrylic 120 gallon high, this winter for Discus... if funds remain normal, maybe just after the 1st of the year

I started out with Piranha's in my teens... my dad knew a guy, who ran the local "boys ranch" & he had a 55 gallon tank with 4 -10 inch piranha's, that had to go... before that I had been buying little ones from the local "dime store" that were about a cm long, & I was growing those... it defiantly changed me having 4 - 10 inch piranha's all at once... I know now, that some feeding beef & poultry aren't good to feed to some fish... back then we raised chickens & no one liked the livers, so that's what my fish got... it sure made the water cloudy at feeding time... but they sure gobbled them up

BTW... I'm thinking of setting up an acrylic 120 gallon high, this winter for Discus... if funds remain normal, maybe just after the 1st of the year
Discus are a great set up, I kept them about 8 years ago and bred them but it became a bit of a chore feeding and water changing the young. I have a bit more time now but I am surprised at how pricey they have become and the breeder I got my last 10 from as juveniles retired this year. Typical!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back