My Angelfish just died....

Ravenes

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
My angelfish just died what centerpiece fish should I replace it with? My tank is 30 gallon tall. It has six white skirt tetras in it. What should be my next move? Should I get six corydoras at once?

Corys like sand substrate. What is the GH of the tank. Corys mainly prefer soft to neutral water. If you do want Corys and have sand and proper parameters, I would do three at first and then a week later add the other 3. Which cory were you thinking of getting?

Sorry about your loss.

I would try to figure out why the Anglefish died first. What are your water parameters?

—-

Anglefish do best in groups, so I definitely don’t recommend getting any more.

You could look into an Electric Blue Acara which only reaches about 5 inches max and requires at least a 30 inch long tank. I know that the minimum tank size is 30 gallons and they typically do well with larger tetras. I would recommend getting a juvenile though, to help reduce the risks of getting one that would go after the tetras. I have an EBA with some Bloodfin tetras and pygmy cories in a 55 gallon tank and he does really well, but he is only half grown and he would definitely try to eat my guppies if he had the chance.

You would probably have room for a Bristlenose pleco too if you wanted! Or you could up the numbers of your school of tetras to 8 or 10

I was thinking of dwarf Gourami. Was wondering about that I’ll have the water checked before then though. I’ll let you know the water parameters till then

I have had 3 dwarf Gouramis at different times over the last 4 years. Each only lived from 3 months to 6 months. DG often get what they call Dwarf Gourami disease and often don't live long unless you get lucky. A honey Gourami may work for your tank depending on your water parameters such as PH and GH. Do you know those levels for your water?

How old was your Angelfish?

I hate to say this but maybe they died because they felt too cramped since they need at least 200 liters and you had them in 100.
as for the tetra I would say to get more so they are at least 10 of them, and for the corydoras, get 8, not 6.
a good south American centerpiece fish would be an Apistogramma or a ram, maybe another small nonaggressive cichlid

I have had 3 dwarf Gouramis at different times over the last 4 years. Each only lived from 3 months to 6 months. DG often get what they call Dwarf Gourami disease and often don't live long unless you get lucky. A honey Gourami may work for your tank depending on your water parameters such as PH and GH. Do you know those levels for your water?

How old was your Angelfish?
My angelfish lasted for about 3 years

I hate to say this but maybe they died because they felt too cramped since they need at least 200 liters and you had them in 100.
as for the tetra I would say to get more so they are at least 10 of them, and for the corydoras, get 8, not 6.
a good south American centerpiece fish would be an Apistogramma or a ram, maybe another small nonaggressive cichlid
I only had one angelfish in a thirty gallon. I didnt realize you needed a 200 liter tank for one. Do I have that right? Sorry if this sounds rude. I’m just confused

I only had one angelfish in a thirty gallon. I didnt realize you needed a 200 liter tank for one. Do I have that right? Sorry if this sounds rude. I’m just confused
it's ok I was confused by angelfish at the start too for 1 maximum of 2 you need 200 liters for any extra angel you will need 25 liters more, this is because of swimming space rather than water quality.

I would push back on this. While a larger tank is certainly beneficial for angelfish and they do the very best in schools - a fish does not die because they felt "cramped".

It's hard to say why the angel died - it could be a combination of parasites, bacterial, age etc

I would put it simply: if you have tested your water and it is within normal ranges (ask if you do not know) and you are not aware of any condition causing it's death then it would be hard to know for certain.

The best place for an angelfish is a 55g (200+L) tank with many other friend - 6-8 in a group. They are not solitary fish and do not enjoy being a centerpiece fish.

I would agree, though - your tank sounds like the perfect home for some dwarf cichlids.

it's ok I was confused by angelfish at the start too for 1 maximum of 2 you need 200 liters for any extra angel you will need 25 liters more, this is because of swimming space rather than water quality.
I was told that angelfish thrive in tall aquariums not normal rectangular ones

I was told that angelfish thrive in tall aquariums not normal rectangular ones
they do thrive in aquariums taller than normal but that's because they are tall fish not necessarily because they enjoy swimming up and down, so you still need a long tank for them so swim in but it also has to be tall enough for them

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back