My 55G Bow Front - Seeking Feedback

Rak9378

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi
First time poster here. I am new to the hobby and reading these forums was so helpful as I did my research!!! Anyhow my tank has been up and running for a few months now and so far I'm pretty happy with it. I am trying to go for a natural look with all live plants. It is still a work in progress so I would love to get some constructive criticism from anyone willing to give it. I would especially love to get any suggestions for plant types to help fill out the foreground. I'm posting three pics (hopefully I post them correctly!!) :) One is a straight shot of the tank and the other two are angled shots which should give a better view of the sides since it is a bow front. Thanks for looking!

Beautiful, puts my tank to shame :-( Haha.
How do the barbs and gourami get on?

Lovely looking tank!  Really like the combination of rocks, wood and plants you've got going on there.

My only criticism would be that the different coloured rocks don't work together - you've got one red, one grey and one white.  If you want the natural look then just choose one type of rock and stick with it.  Personally my favourite is the big grey rock at the back (it looks like it might be lava rock?).  It's begging to be covered in anubias I think :)

@CrimsonBoli
Thanks for the compliment.  Much appreciated.  Stocking is as follows:

2 x Gold Gouramis
8 x Tiger Barbs (5 regular & 3 green)
5 x Rosy Barbs
5 x Bentos Tetra (my LFS calls them Candy Cane Tetras and I have also seen them called White Tip Tetra)
2 x Emerald Green Cory Cats
1 x BN Pleco
7 x Nerite Snails

I realize I'm a bit overstocked but none of the fish are full size yet and I am really diligent about my water changes.  Plus, eventually I will have a built in excuse for that bigger tank!! 
smile.png

@Ninjouzata
Haha I'm sure you're just being nice!  But thanks for the compliment.  The Barbs (both Tiger and Rosy) get along just fine with the Gouramis.  Actually one of the Gouramis tends to be the most aggressive in the tank and will occasionally chase the Barbs, especially if they go near her favorite spot (which is near the Wisteria I have floating at the top). 

@daizeUK
Thanks for the compliment and the feedback.  The grey rock is indeed lava rock!  Its actually three pieces that I bought at different times so I was really happy when I put them together and they fit so well.  Totally unplanned!!  As for the red and white rocks, I do see what you're saying.  I do love the red rock because of the pop of color it adds, but I can see how it takes away from the natural look.  Would you say it looks bad or just does support the natural look?  I may just get rid of the white rock and use the space for more plants!!
smile.png
  I will have to check out your suggestion for the Anubias.  I have one in the foreground but I didn't realize they can grow on rocks.  I was thinking of putting some moss on the grey rock.  Any suggestions for foreground plants to help fill out the front of the tank?  By the way I love your tanks.  The 120L is absolutely gorgeous!   

What a great tank!!! I've heard that bow fronts can be tricky, but this looks wonderful!!!

I have to agree with daize about the red rock, I think you've got plenty of warmer tones in the substrate, maybe a similar size gray rock or like you said, more room for plants :hey:

All of your plants look great, very healthy! One tip, I think that's anubias you've got in the front there, and if it is it should be removed from the substrate. Anubias need their rhizome to be free, so try attaching it to wood or rock with some cotton thread or super glue!

Maybe try a couple crypts in the front? They're pretty easy and really have a great shape, I love em :)

In nature you won't generally find rocks of different types together so the combination of colours immediately defeats the natural look.  However the red rock looks great architecturally and I can see why you like it!  I would be reluctant not to show it off, too.  It would make a great centrepiece in its own right in a smaller tank but it is dominated by the larger hardscape in this one.

From an aesthetic point of view the red rock is screaming "Look at me!" and it draws your eye to the far left of the tank.  Then the white rock is screaming "Look at ME!" and pulls the eye to the far right of the tank.  In between the battle of the rocks, the beautiful plants and wood get far less attention than they deserve. 

Ideally there would be a single point of focus near the centre, preferably offset just slightly from the centre.  The slanted piece of wood is naturally leading the eye up and to the right and that's where I think the ideal focal point should be, just right of centre.  If possible I would move that large piece of wood to the left slightly, where the red rock is now, so that the wood is leading the eye into a more central location rather than out of the tank.

I don't mean to sound too critical though, your tank is already lovely as it is and you have just got my brain whirring about how I would tweak it! 
smile.png
  The most important thing is whether you like the tank - if the red rock gives you pleasure, keep it!

I wouldn't hurry to clutter the foreground with plants too much.  I would move the anubias away as Greenmumma suggests and then I would move the spiky plant to its right into the place where the anubias was.  This would open up a nice clear space of gravel helping to further focus attention near the centre of the tank at the natural point of interest where the two pieces of wood meet.  Just an idea! :)

greenmumma141 said:
What a great tank!!! I've heard that bow fronts can be tricky, but this looks wonderful!!!

I have to agree with daize about the red rock, I think you've got plenty of warmer tones in the substrate, maybe a similar size gray rock or like you said, more room for plants :hey:

All of your plants look great, very healthy! One tip, I think that's anubias you've got in the front there, and if it is it should be removed from the substrate. Anubias need their rhizome to be free, so try attaching it to wood or rock with some cotton thread or super glue!

Maybe try a couple crypts in the front? They're pretty easy and really have a great shape, I love em :)
Thanks for the compliments and the feedback. The bow front wasn't my first choice but I got it for free as it was a tank my father wasn't using...so I learned to love it! Lol.

That is Anubias in the front. I didn't realize it can attach to rocks until daize mentioned it in an earlier post. Funny thing is my LFS had it planted in the substrate and it is actually potted. Maybe I will replant it just not so deep so the rhizome is exposed. This way I can buy another Anubias for the rock....any excuse for more plants!! Lol. By the way your 60g is awesome. I loved reading your thread!!

daizeUK said:
In nature you won't generally find rocks of different types together so the combination of colours immediately defeats the natural look.  However the red rock looks great architecturally and I can see why you like it!  I would be reluctant not to show it off, too.  It would make a great centrepiece in its own right in a smaller tank but it is dominated by the larger hardscape in this one.

From an aesthetic point of view the red rock is screaming "Look at me!" and it draws your eye to the far left of the tank.  Then the white rock is screaming "Look at ME!" and pulls the eye to the far right of the tank.  In between the battle of the rocks, the beautiful plants and wood get far less attention than they deserve. 

Ideally there would be a single point of focus near the centre, preferably offset just slightly from the centre.  The slanted piece of wood is naturally leading the eye up and to the right and that's where I think the ideal focal point should be, just right of centre.  If possible I would move that large piece of wood to the left slightly, where the red rock is now, so that the wood is leading the eye into a more central location rather than out of the tank.

I don't mean to sound too critical though, your tank is already lovely as it is and you have just got my brain whirring about how I would tweak it!  :)  The most important thing is whether you like the tank - if the red rock gives you pleasure, keep it!

I wouldn't hurry to clutter the foreground with plants too much.  I would move the anubias away as Greenmumma suggests and then I would move the spiky plant to its right into the place where the anubias was.  This would open up a nice clear space of gravel helping to further focus attention near the centre of the tank at the natural point of interest where the two pieces of wood meet.  Just an idea! :)
Thanks for the awesome suggestions and please be critical. As long as it's constructive I never mind criticism. As much as I love the red rock I am going to remove it. I think your thoughts are spot on. And I love the idea of just moving the driftwood a little to the left! Can't believe I didn't think of it...I was so focused on using every item I bought it just never occurred to me! Thanks!

I finally got around to making some changes.  The major change was removing the red lava rock and that white rock.  I shifted the large driftwood left (left when facing the tank) and move all the dwarf sage to the left.  I added to small pieces of Lace rock on the right and replanted the Anubias by attaching it to the rock.  I moved around a few other plants and I added that little Banana plant in front of the Lace rock.  I still feel like the center foreground can benefit from something just not sure what yet.  I think the right side (again when facing the tank) could also be filled in a bit more.  But then again I think I just may be addicted to buying stuff from my LFS!!  LOL.  Anyway, as always comments/feedback is appreciated.  I'm posting before and after so it will be easier to compare.  Thanks!

Before:

After:

After - Angle shots

Blondielovesfish said:
Wow, I love it!

Such vibrant greens! Those java ferns have grown a lot!
Thanks!  I appreciate it!!    Yes, the java ferns are doing really well.  There are actually new leaves growing right out of the existing ones!  I just posted a thread in the planted tank section asking about best practices for how to handle the growth. 

Wow, it was great before, but I can't believe what a difference taking out those rocks made!! You've got some really great depth going on...   :good:

The new leaflets on your java ferns are babies!!! I like to let mine get to a good size, with atleast a couple leaves, then you can just snip it off of the old leaf (don't cut the tiny new rhizome!!) and that'll give ya a whole new java fern :)

greenmumma141 said:
Wow, it was great before, but I can't believe what a difference taking out those rocks made!! You've got some really great depth going on...   :good:

The new leaflets on your java ferns are babies!!! I like to let mine get to a good size, with atleast a couple leaves, then you can just snip it off of the old leaf (don't cut the tiny new rhizome!!) and that'll give ya a whole new java fern :)
Thanks for the compliment! As much as I loved those rocks I am really happy I removed them. It really does feel more natural to me. I still have a few things I want to do (does that ever stop!?! Lol) so I will keep posting updated pics as it comes long.

Ok so I made a couple of additions. I added another small piece of lace rock among the dwarf sag and attached an Anubias Nana to it. I also added an Anubias Nana at the top of the lace rock in the back. I also shifted the smaller/shorter driftwood to the right which opens up a pathway to the back of the tank. I think I will leave this as open space as it has become somewhat of a "thruway" for the fish. Of course I don't feel like it's done yet and I have some more ideas so I'm sure I will be posting more updates soon! As always feedback is welcome!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back