My 55 Gallon Saltwater Aquarium

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

if your lfs told you to bring your sg down to 1.005 would you do it? And they said you should do it since it kills ich and other parasites, would you do it? And if they told you to feed your cleanup crew roast beef every day would you do it? And if they tried to sell you a 1000 dollar fish for your tank would you buy it?

Your gonna say no to all of that im guessing, and since you just said no i have proven my point in saying you only hear what you want to hear. You want to hear that you can add live things in your newly set up tank, but you dont want to hear them say, buy this 1000000 dollar manta ray.

Take back everything live that you bought. Buy some more live rock until you think it looks nice. The lfs will say "dont buy this 1 dollar a pound base rock, buy this 6 dollar a pound live rock," and since you have been listening to them, get the live rock and dont get the base. Put the rock in and dont turn on the lights much. Let the ammonia rise, then lower, then let the nitrite rise and lower. Once ammonia and nitrite are at 0 and there are detectable nitrate do a 25%+ water change, the more the better. Wait about a week, if there is some algae, get a small amount of hermit crabs and snails, dont get too much. Then wait a week or so, if the algae isnt going away maybe get a few more snails until you find a good number. Once algae is gone maybe wait a week or so and then get a fish or two making sure they are hardy. Its what im doing and it works for me and not only me but almost every one else who started properly, so im not the only one and it wont make what i said in the next 2 posts hypocritical.

okay, now were getting somwhere, take back the cuc as well if u can, get some liverock if u have the money 1lb/gallon
I can NOT take the CUC back to the LFS because of the Return Policy of that LFS... My Aunt which has been in the hobby for over 5 years also told be to do a Fish cycle, and to add CUC... This is how she did it, and she did not have a problem, and look she now has 3 SW Aquariums fully stocked. I am not sure on the Return policy of the other LFS.

Josh

cycling with fish is ignorant, cruel and lazy Budde, dont worry about what your Aunt did, there are still a lot of twats that keep goldfish in a bowl with no filter, doesnt make it ok

cycling with fish is ignorant, cruel and lazy Budde, dont worry about what your Aunt did, there are still a lot of twats that keep goldfish in a bowl with no filter, doesnt make it ok

Amen to those good words.

if your lfs told you to bring your sg down to 1.005 would you do it? And they said you should do it since it kills ich and other parasites, would you do it? And if they told you to feed your cleanup crew roast beef every day would you do it? And if they tried to sell you a 1000 dollar fish for your tank would you buy it?

Your gonna say no to all of that im guessing, and since you just said no i have proven my point in saying you only hear what you want to hear. You want to hear that you can add live things in your newly set up tank, but you dont want to hear them say, buy this 1000000 dollar manta ray.
No, Because the SG has to between 1.023 and 1.025. No, because the SG has to be between 1.023 and 1.025, plus there are other solutions... No, because I don't think roast beef belongs in an Aquarium... No, because I do not want/need to buy a 1000 dollar fish.... I woudn't buy a 1000000 dollar manta ray because I do not have the space, and I do not want one.

Josh

No, Because the SG has to between 1.023 and 1.025. No, because the SG has to be between 1.023 and 1.025, plus there are other solutions... No, because I don't think roast beef belongs in an Aquarium... No, because I do not want/need to buy a 1000 dollar fish.... I woudn't buy a 1000000 dollar manta ray because I do not have the space, and I do not want one.

Josh

Thank you so much for proving my point. I apreciate that.

Oh and nice website, it has great potential but some of the info needs a bit of work on it.

if your lfs told you to bring your sg down to 1.005 would you do it? And they said you should do it since it kills ich and other parasites, would you do it? And if they told you to feed your cleanup crew roast beef every day would you do it? And if they tried to sell you a 1000 dollar fish for your tank would you buy it? Your gonna say no to all of that im guessing, and since you just said no i have proven my point in saying you only hear what you want to hear. You want to hear that you can add live things in your newly set up tank, but you dont want to hear them say, buy this 1000000 dollar manta ray.
No, Because the SG has to between 1.023 and 1.025. No, because the SG has to be between 1.023 and 1.025, plus there are other solutions... No, because I don't think roast beef belongs in an Aquarium... No, because I do not want/need to buy a 1000 dollar fish.... I woudn't buy a 1000000 dollar manta ray because I do not have the space, and I do not want one.Josh
Thank you so much for proving my point. I apreciate that.
Oh and nice website, it has great potential but some of the info needs a bit of work on it.
Thanks, If I had more people to help me, I might have more on it.

If my Aunt has 3 SW Aquariums, with all of the fish she started with still alive, I think she knows what she is doing...

Josh

theres a difference between survive and thrive. They may have survived the cycle but probably didnt thrive through it. And many people used to cycle tanks with fish, but its been proven to be cruel and there are easier alternatives to it.

You can cycle tanks with fish, and they can survive (even though you proved yourself they may also die) but there are much less cruel ways to do things now.

We burn coal for energy, it works, it still is working. But other less environmentally destructive alternatives are also being used, solar power, wind energy, i hear people are trying to use strong ocean currents out in the sea to create energy. Even with all those new things, burning coal still works, but isnt always the best thing to do environment wise.

i have joined your website and forum Josh, as your efforts are admirable

Josh, i just follow the science of it all,

Fish in Ammonia and Nitrite = BAD

Fish in Ammonia and Nitrite free environment = GOOD

anything over a few hours in Ammonia and Nitrite is UNACCEPTABLE in my humble opinion

anything over a few hours in Ammonia and Nitrite is UNACCEPTABLE in my humble opinion
Thanks for Joining... Thanks for the Information.

Josh

Not just fish, almost, if not all, living things in the kingdom of animalia shouldnt be in an ammonia and nitrite environment.

And now i will try my best to avoid posting here since i feel no matter what anyone here says, you will only hear what you want to hear. I dont think anyone here could convince you to start over and listen to us. So why should i waste my time trying to convince you. If the only person you are going to listen to is your lfs, then why bother joining a forum.

Not just fish, almost, if not all, living things in the kingdom of animalia shouldnt be in an ammonia and nitrite environment.

And now i will try my best to avoid posting here since i feel no matter what anyone here says, you will only hear what you want to hear. I dont think anyone here could convince you to start over and listen to us. So why should i waste my time trying to convince you. If the only person you are going to listen to is your lfs, then why bother joining a forum.
I am listening to you Guys, and Girls but, the fact that I might not be able to return the Livestock is the problem. I know I can NOT return the CUC... I might be able to return the Damsels...

Josh

get some bio spirra it will help, and keep do water changes

Hey Josh - just wanna say that I started my tank a couple of months ago - I also spoke to lfs's, read books etc.... but I've learnt that the people on this forum REALLY know what they're talking about, and more importantly they give up their time to be here because they care about the welfare of marine life and know that by sharing their experiences they will reduce some uneccessary suffering.

Trust in them..... their way might not be the only way, but I guarantee its the most consciencious way. :good:

Also reading through the archives has given me more knowledge and understanding than any book or lfs could ever have done, and saved me alot of headaches :crazy: There's a wealth of knowledge there!!!

From one newbie to another - you've found a very good forum..... honest!!

all the best

Most reactions

trending

Back