My 300L Discus Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

simonas

stuck between a rock and a fish tank
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
I had an Aquareef 300 marine tank that I shut down in August after it had been up and running for a couple of years. It used to look like this.
P1060381_zps36c55d3d.jpg

I sold most of the equipment but kept the LED lights iluminaire 900's. The sump I filled with sponges and pan scrubbers.

I tried to clean the tank the best I could and put some decent sand in, bog wood and bought a load of giant vallis,amazon swords etc and it looks like this
IMG_7732_zpszuxxbru2.jpg

Added a load of cardinals, rummy nose some black neons that were my started fish, keyholes and initially some angels I bought as altums that weren't. It ran like this till January until I could afford my discus.

For Christmas my wife bought me an L24 , L200 and L14 I then sold the angels and also added some cory sterbai, 3 clown loach.

IMG_7868_zpsn5vej5c2.jpg

IMG_7876_zps3p8nctbe.jpg

IMG_7848_zpsevpdsumr.jpg

IMG_7851_zpslzhnaqa0.jpg

Better one of the L200. This plec is quite active and is looking better the longer he is in there.
IMG_7886_zpsynfig0gq.jpg

The most active is the L14 and he has grown so much since I put the discus in and have been feeding all the beefheart.

IMG_7892_zpszui3fe7f.jpg

For my discus I was only going to go to one place and that was Steve Punchards discus near Blackburn on the 2nd Jan.. He is a top breeder and his place is fantastic. Not polished and glam looking but just rows and rows of tanks of breeding adult discus and amazing young of all sizes. The prices are great and I paid £25 each for 10 discus and he threw a couple of packs of his great beefheart mix in too. They are healthy looking, well fed and eating well and a lovely shape. 

IMG_8280_zpspejybwtk.jpg

IMG_8292_zpsxricnbub.jpg

IMG_8304_zps8hz0vzj0.jpg

IMG_8546_zpsfk0fphwc.jpg

IMG_8565_zpsoxqyofcc.jpg

IMG_8570_zpsxgqwtcge.jpg

The plants have since struggled with the giant vallis and swords almost melting away. I need more wood and am going to buy a big branchy bit. 

It took a while for the discus to settle in they seemed really jumpy all the time and I read up on it and I found out they can be jumpy if nitrate are high so I checked those and they were. I bought bigger buckets and started doing 2 50% changes a week and since then they have settled down a lot more and coloured up better.
The discus I got are 2 blue diamonds, 2 super red flames, 2 red melons, 2 blue/red turqoise and my favourites 2 spotted leopard x royal red curipeua.

More recent pics although when feeding so bits in the water.

IMG_8971_zpslhxytled.jpg

IMG_8987_zpszhmx5hxu.jpg

IMG_8996_zpsc1sg3v5s.jpg

IMG_8999_zps7ghavmjo.jpg

That was a lot of big fish in one bag, lol... they looked uncomfortable.

HarpyFishLover said:
That was a lot of big fish in one bag, lol... they looked uncomfortable.

One of the top guys in the whole country for discus and breeding them. They were totally fine and my journey was almost two hours with a Maccys stop :)

they look stunning. I'm looking forward to seeing more photo's Simon. Any signs of pairings yet?

Akasha72 said:
they look stunning. I'm looking forward to seeing more photo's Simon. Any signs of pairings yet?
no signs of pairing yet but lots of bickering and pushing around. There will be lots of pics to come I am sure

Munroco said:
Great price for fish that size
You're telling me. That is the advantage of a breeder rather than LFS. My LFS has them in half the size looking ropey for £45.

Lovely fish.Will be my next adventure in years to come in my 300 litre.great pics

There will be better pics to come got a better phone now with clearer pics

I'll look forward to seeing them :)

Most reactions

trending

Back