My 29 up and running

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

DonC

Reaction score
Finally got the 29 up and running with 3 female Kribs as of today.
Temp 77
Ph 7.2
Nitrates 20 ppm
Gh 9
Kh 4
Next week 6 serpae tetras
Following week 6 zebra danios
Hereā€™s a photo

Attachments

• F1C42625-0461-4C13-ABC7-6323A8C6C737.jpeg
    F1C42625-0461-4C13-ABC7-6323A8C6C737.jpeg
    276.6 KB · Views: 1,150
Next week 6 serpae tetras
These are just about the nippiest tetras in the hobby. They need to be kept in a larger group (12+) in the hope they'll keep their nipping to their own species, though that doesn't always work. Years ago I bought 6 serpaes and next day every other fish in the tank had bits missing. They went back.

There is a similar looking alternative, red phantom tetras

Tank looks great, love the planting.

I agree with Essjay on the Serpaes, tough one to keep. Have you thought about some African Tetra species to go with the Kribs? Yellow Congo Tetras are pretty available now and stunning fish and dont get as big as the regular ones. Red Fin African Tetras are a nice species too.

Wills

These are just about the nippiest tetras in the hobby. They need to be kept in a larger group (12+) in the hope they'll keep their nipping to their own species, though that doesn't always work. Years ago I bought 6 serpaes and next day every other fish in the tank had bits missing. They went back.

There is a similar looking alternative, red phantom tetras
**** I wish I would have read this sooner just got back from Lfs with 6 and they donā€™t take fish back šŸ˜©

You could try getting another 6. It might help keep their nippiness among themselves.

This I am sorry to say is very unlikely to work out long-term. A group of 12-15 Serpae Tetras i a 29g tank is about it. Reason is, their natural tendency to be nasty. If they confined it to themselves, not so bad. But with three cichlids, the cichlids are prime targets.

I have years ago had a similar situation, with another fish. In the end, I euthanized the group of fish rather than see every other fish in a 90g tank being terrorized; they even stopped coming out from hiding to eat. Sacrifices have to be made.

The Zebra Danio also need a larger group, but they tend to remain in the upper layers while the cichlids in the lower, generally, so that canwork out better.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back