Multiple spontaneous deaths daily

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

chattylloyd

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 200 ltr tropical aquarium. Water is cycled, dechlorinated and stress coat applied with regular water changes. All levels appear to be within acceptable ranges although no ammonia test complete.

I am losing fish daily it seems to be fine for a few weeks then another spate of deaths. Water is well oxygenated along with real plants.

Today my beloved Dojo (weather) loach which, seemed fine yesterday was partially dead this morning. I placed in a hospital tank and managed to snap this picture. Unfortunately, he has since died, however, your advice and assistance would be greatly appreciated.
stuart.jpg

Kind regards,

Nick & Ryan

What are your exact readings?

We need to know the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH of the tank water (in numbers).
I need pictures of the other fish and the tank.

What fish are in the tank?
What fish have you lost?

How long has the tank been set up for?
How long has this been going on for?
Did you add anything within a couple of weeks of this starting?

How often do you do water changes and how much water do you change?
Do you gravel clean the substrate when you do a water change?

How often and how do you clean the filter?

What are you feeding the fish?

-------------
The loach in the picture has flared gills and red blood spots on its belly. The flared gills would suggest something bad in the water. The red spots look like something (an external parasite) is biting the fish.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Water changed weekly, the gravel is also done at the same time.

Tank has been set up since Feb.

Communal fish are in the tank which consist of neons, swordtails, pleco, Corey's, platy, minno.

Had two more neons today.

We only buy fish from one supplier last purchase was 3 weeks ago.

We have treated the tank and a parasite and fluke killer supplied in the required dose by our fish supplier.

Fish are fed on a low ammonia flake from tetra and pleco wafers.

Readings yesterday are attached.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200528_123440_de.dieetagen.tetrawatertest.jpg
    Screenshot_20200528_123440_de.dieetagen.tetrawatertest.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 70
Update.

Another Corey has just passed. It has the same red spots. Ammonia tested negative in the water.

Can you post pictures of all the fish?

Your nitrate is too high and should be kept below 20ppm at all times.
Check your tap water for nitrates and see if that has any.

Do you have an ammonia test kit?
It's unlikely to be an issue but it helps to have that as well as nitrite and nitrate.

How long has this been going on for?

What was the medication you used?

Last edited:
Hi,

We have done an ammonia test today which was zero.

I've just got home, my partner has been tinkering with the tank today and we've found a load of babies which are now in a hospital tank. Looks like two lots some.a week old and some likely today.

The name of the treatment I don't know. It's a powder that you mix with water.

photos of tank attached

Attachments

• IMG_20200528_152322.jpg
    IMG_20200528_152322.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 65
When did the fish start dying from this?

Do the fish die before or after you do water changes?
eg: you do a water change and the fish are fine for a week and then start dying again?
eg: you do a water change and the fish start dying that day or the next day?

What sort of substrate is in the tank and where is it from?

Do you use buckets, hoses, etc, specifically for the fish when you do a water change?

What sort of sponge do you use to wipe the glass down with?

Do you or your partner have any oil, grease, cream, etc on your hands or arms when working on the tank?
Do you use a disinfectant soap or wipes to clean your hands?
Does anyone smoke or paint in the room with the fish tank?
Do you use any sort of aerosol spray (hair spray, perfume, bug spray, air freshener, etc) in the room with the tank?

Hi,

Fish usually die a week or so after the water change.

Fish have there own buckets and pipes etc

The substrate is a very fine gravel which is from pets at home. I've used on many thanks no issues.

The glass is free from debris/ algae as we have a very efficient pleco.

No creams, disinfectants, smoking, painting or any of the aforementioned are in or around the tank.

So far all I can see is we have slightly high nitrates.

It could be high nitrates causing the problem. Try doing a 75% water change and gravel cleaning the substrate every day or two for a couple of weeks. Get the nitrates down to 0ppm or as close to it as possible and keep it there with big regular water changes. See if the fish stop dying. If they keep dying after the nitrates have been reduced, then we need to keep looking for the problem.

Don't add any new fish until the problem is resolved.

Thank you for your help Colin.
I will give it a 75% change tomorrow. I was wondering whether a test strip would pick up an ammonia/nitrate strike if i were to leave it in the water for a few hours. Do you think this would work, or would the test strip become dud?

Thank you for your help Colin.
I will give it a 75% change tomorrow. I was wondering whether a test strip would pick up an ammonia/nitrate strike if i were to leave it in the water for a few hours. Do you think this would work, or would the test strip become dud?
Test strips don't work that way I'm afraid. AFAIK there are no reliable test strips for ammonia. Nitrate does not spike - it builds gradually over time and the only way to remove it is with large water changes - which is why @Colin_T recommended doing one every day for two weeks. If it was my tank and my fish I would not be waiting until tomorrow to start this.

After the two weeks I recommend a 75% water change every week to ensure that it can not build up to that level again.

Also we've now done a nitrate test on our household water which was high (80ppm) what are your suggestions?

What are you using to test this? The EU (and UK) maximum permissible limit for tap water is 50ppm

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back