FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

PheonixKingZ

Fish Guru
Tank of the Month 🏆
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
I’m going to be moving to South Carolina in about 2 weeks, which is insanely close. I think im going to have to make a decision on my fish tanks, as in which ones to sell and which ones to keep.

I’m far to attached to my 29g saltwater tank, as my clownfish are kinda like little aquatic dogs. So im definitely not getting rid of that.

I’m thinking I might get rid of my 20g long. I really don’t want to, but it’s a huge hassle to move tanks, fish, and live plants on a 9 hour trip down there.

I’d also have to buy a stand for the 20g long (I already have to buy a stand for the 29g) which is even more money.

My Betta unexpectedly died (RIP) recently, which means I wouldn’t have to worry about moving any live creatures in the 10g setup, and I could move it dry.

—-

If the only tank I keep is the 29g, then I’d only have to worry about 3 fish and some invertebrates. A lot less hassle I think.

—-

Sorry if that made absolutely no sense whatsoever, I got about 4 hours of sleep last night. 🫠

Thoughts/opinions are welcome.

Plants shouldn't be that hard to move. I think You can just throw them in a 5 gallon bucket with a bit of water and put a lid on it. They should def last 9 hours that way...

I think that you could do the same with fish...

What all is in your 20 gallon??? You could do a double stand… although those are harder to maintain. Will you be setting up the 10 gallon again and getting another betta or different stock or anything?

What all is in your 20 gallon??? You could do a double stand… although those are harder to maintain. Will you be setting up the 10 gallon again and getting another betta or different stock or anything?
Only my BNP and shrimp. I sold the other stock back when I thought I would be moving sooner.

I really don’t wanna let my BNP go, but my room in the new house is much smaller than my current room.

You could do a double stand… although those are harder to maintain.
There’s an idea, accept it would be a saltwater tank above a freshwater tank. I don’t know how I feel about that. :/

You have a dilemma on your hands. The marine tank probably should be your priority if for no other reason than it's value. Don't get rid of your other tanks. Throw the plants out and give the fish away but keep all your hardware. You'll be glad you did and you won't have the urgency of setting them back up right away. If your marine fish don't survive the trip don't be dissapointed . They probably won't.

Perhaps you could rehome the pleco with someone you know?
Don’t know anyone personally who has fish tanks. My LFS owner is really nice so I know he would buy him because he’s healthy.

If your marine fish don't survive the trip don't be dissapointed . They probably won't.
Why do you say this? I spent over $170 on the livestock for my saltwater tank, I would definitely be disappointed if they died during travel.

Even if you shut the tanks down if you think theres even a 20% chance you'll set them up again keep them. I sold my big tank and all the equipment got next to nothing for it and now I want big tank equipment again its so expensive, even second hand.

Not sure how much use they would be for marine tanks but have you seen the new air pump filters Aquarium Co-Op have made? They have a 6 hour battery pack - that goes longer on an eco mode, might help with keeping filters alive?

Wills

Why do you say this? I spent over $170 on the livestock for my saltwater tank, I would definitely be disappointed if they died during travel.
Hey ! Not trying to jinx you. I hope your fish travel well and live for years to come but it just seems that Mr. Murphy and his Law kick in during these kinds of things. $170 bucks would be tough to lose.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would take everything with you. Get a power inverter from an auto store. The power inverter plugs into the cigarette lighter in the car and provides you with a normal 220/240volt outlet (or whatever the voltage is in your country). You then plug a normal airpump into the outlet and have a normal pump to use during the trip.

Put the clownfish into a bucket with water and their anemone.
Wrap the corals in wet newspaper or butchers paper. And put them in a bucket with a bit of water.
Put your bristlenose and shrimp in a bucket with water. Lids on all buckets.

Depending on the buckets you use, you either feed the airline under the lid, or drill a 6mm (1/4 inch) hole in the lid and put a rubber grommet in the hole. Then feed the airline through the hole in the grommet.

Have multicoloured plastic airstones n the airlines or just no airstone. Tie a small fishing sinker to the airline to hold it down.

Put the buckets of fish on the backseat and seat belt them in.

Have the gravel in buckets. Empty tanks. Put them in the car or on a trailer. Go for a drive.

It can be done and I would keep all the tanks and gear you have because it gets costly replacing them.

You can have a marine tank above a freshwater on a double tier stand. It's not an issue and I had several marine tanks above freshwater and never had an issue. Have coverglass on the marine tank to reduce evaporation and wipe up any salt that grows on the glass. It's fine.

Moving saltwater fish... I won't even try to keep them in a stable tank!

I moved a tank of rummy nose tetras 10 hours once. It was going great only a deer ran out and when we braked (in time), the fish hit a wall, so to speak. I have bagged fish ever since.

Made any decisions or come up with any ideas PK?
Well since my Betta died, I don’t have to worry about moving any 10g stock. Still deciding on if I want to move my 20g long livestock, which only consists of my BNP, shrimp, and snails. It would technically only be 1 more 5G bucket, but it’s still space taken up in the minivan.

Even if you shut the tanks down if you think theres even a 20% chance you'll set them up again keep them. I sold my big tank and all the equipment got next to nothing for it and now I want big tank equipment again its so expensive, even second hand
I’m going to do be doing this though. ^

I’ll keep all my old tanks/equipment, even if I store it in boxes in the new garage.

——-

Definitely not getting rid of my clowns or dottyback; those stay with me.

Aquarium Co-Op have made?
I’ll look into these! Might end up getting the ones used for fishing at Walmart, just because they would be more convenient.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back