Moving Old Tank To New Tank?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

fishman/ashley

Reaction score
hi everyone i'm new i'm ash!

i am new to all this so be nice! lol

i have just got a new bigger tank 175 litter 4 foot long reason being i was miss advised from were i got them from and my tank is over crowded...

how can i move my fish over to my new tank a sap thanks!

oh i have 3 silver sharks............ 3 guppys male......... 3 platys..... one neon tetra......... two penguin tetras ......... a plecks thankyou

more info needed...

what filter do you have in the old tank?

what filter comes with the new tank?

Is the new tank running and passed through the cycling process? If it has then just net the fish into bag and acclimatise them as you would when buying new fish. If it hasn't then you'll have to cycle it before the fish can be moved safely.

Also, gradually stock the tank, don't put all of them in at once. I suggest moving the Silver Sharks and plec first as they will be the ones most affected by being in a tank that is too small. The others don't need as much space. Gradually move the others in after that.

Good Luck,
AmazonFTW

P.S I suggest you bulk out the neon tetra shoal a bit, and the penguin tetra shoal.

Oh and I'm not sure about this but the sharks may eat the tetras when they get fully grown so I suggest you research this before putting them together and adding more tetras.

more info needed...

what filter do you have in the old tank?

what filter comes with the new tank?
hi thankyou old one is interpet pf2 new one is fluval 205

Is the new tank running and passed through the cycling process? If it has then just net the fish into bag and acclimatise them as you would when buying new fish. If it hasn't then you'll have to cycle it before the fish can be moved safely.

Also, gradually stock the tank, don't put all of them in at once. I suggest moving the Silver Sharks and plec first as they will be the ones most affected by being in a tank that is too small. The others don't need as much space. Gradually move the others in after that.

Good Luck,
AmazonFTW

P.S I suggest you bulk out the neon tetra shoal a bit, and the penguin tetra shoal.

Oh and I'm not sure about this but the sharks may eat the tetras when they get fully grown so I suggest you research this before putting them together and adding more tetras.

thankyou so how long should i leave this tank im new too all this ill tell you how i did the other tank i left it for 3 weeks and tested the water came bk fine so i started adding fish and all has beeen fine.... as this is a bigger tank im looking for best advice of how i could cycle this one fast as pos so i can start moveing my fish.. yes the tetras im thinking of takeing them bk for this reason three i have found missing then nexxt day i seee just bones lol i think something is eating them.. silver sharks too small maybe the plecks? dont know but tetras have put me of for that reason so wont buy no more......

Sorry amazon I disagree. I know I'm new, however. If you place all your filter media from your old tank and place it in your new filter, you can move the fish over straight away.

How long has the old tank been running? When you move the fish expect a nitrite and ammonia spike in the first couple of days. Just do daily water changes for the first week ( depending on whether you get readings for nitrite and ammonia ). After the week you should be ok, but keep testing every day for one week to make sure that it has all settled down.

The quicker you move the fish over the better. If you temperature match the 2 tanks you can do it the same day. If not then allow for the water to heat up.

Oh make sure you use dechlorinator when filling up the new tank, otherwise it will kill all the good bacteria in your established filter media.

I hope that makes sense and keep us posted :)

Sorry amazon I disagree. I know I'm new, however. If you place all your filter media from your old tank and place it in your new filter, you can move the fish over straight away.

How long has the old tank been running? When you move the fish expect a nitrite and ammonia spike in the first couple of days. Just do daily water changes for the first week ( depending on whether you get readings for nitrite and ammonia ). After the week you should be ok, but keep testing every day for one week to make sure that it has all settled down.

The quicker you move the fish over the better. If you temperature match the 2 tanks you can do it the same day. If not then allow for the water to heat up.

Oh make sure you use dechlorinator when filling up the new tank, otherwise it will kill all the good bacteria in your established filter media.

I agree but I think it will be safer to do it my way :look:. His filter is an Interpet pf2, a lot smaller the the Fluval205 he is upgrading to. It's likely your method would work, but it's better not to impose unecessary stress upon the fish.

AmazonFTW

thats what i was looking for mate thankyou ill do that tomorrow let them rest i been treating them for white spot i seen the guppys rubbing on gravel. treated 48 hours later all is fine so carbon filter bk in here all fine and happy just dont like my silver sharks in there aswell and the plecks will keep you posted tomorrow thanks again.... tanks about 4 or 5 weeks with fish was two weeks befor any fish befor that

I agree but I think it will be safer to do it my way :look:. His filter is an Interpet pf2, a lot smaller the the Fluval205 he is upgrading to. It's likely your method would work, but it's better not to impose unecessary stress upon the fish.

AmazonFTW
i get you on that is what i was worried about but i have a week of work so ill keep a close eye on the fish......... i have a med that keeps amonia down ect

What are your water parameters now? As 3 weeks I doubt it will be fully cycled. That might be the reason you have White spot because of the water quality. Have you been testing the water?

AmazonFTW

Yeh I understand your reasoning. However the bioload will be exactly the same in either tank, so the filter media will be able to keep up with the ammonia and nitrites.

Also I would like to get the silver sharks in a bigger tank asap rather than in 2 months when the new tank has cycled. Also it will cycle quicker with seeded filter media won't it? So why move only one filter media over and leave the other half fighting too much ammonia and nitrites than it can handle. Why not move it all over.

I don't mean to sound arrogant it's just the way I see it. Please correct me if I missed a point.

AmazonFTW

Yeh I understand your reasoning. However the bioload will be exactly the same in either tank, so the filter media will be able to keep up with the ammonia and nitrites.

Also I would like to get the silver sharks in a bigger tank asap rather than in 2 months when the new tank has cycled. Also it will cycle quicker with seeded filter media won't it? So why move only one filter media over and leave the other half fighting too much ammonia and nitrites than it can handle. Why not move it all over.

I don't mean to sound arrogant it's just the way I see it. Please correct me if I missed a point.

forgive im new to all this im raising my conserns............
and water tests come bk fine i treat the water weekly to keep amonia and so on at bay so fish dont get ill

p.s water was sat for 3 weeks then fish been in 4 to 5 weeks chears

Raise away. We enjoy helping others :). Ok when you say they are fine, what are the exact readings? As it takes minimum of a month normally 1.5-2 months to cycle a tank fully, the only "fine" reading is ammonia and nitrites are 0.

This won't affect changing tanks, a I myself changed tanks mid cycle. I just wanted to confirm as many LFS's hav contradicting views than many experinced hobbyist on here.

Do you have a testing kit? And is it a liquid one or dip sticks?

Raise away. We enjoy helping others :). Ok when you say they are fine, what are the exact readings? As it takes minimum of a month normally 1.5-2 months to cycle a tank fully, the only "fine" reading is ammonia and nitrites are 0.

This won't affect changing tanks, a I myself changed tanks mid cycle. I just wanted to confirm as many LFS's hav contradicting views than many experinced hobbyist on here.

Do you have a testing kit? And is it a liquid one or dip sticks?

i dont remember the reading doh! think was ammonia 1.0... ph.7.6 ...nitite 1.0 ....nitrate 20..... how ever i have dosed the tank today with a med to reduce ammonia ect...... i have live plants in there too....... i have a master test kit liquid the best from what im told its what most pet stores use......... and there active lively feed realy well and thanks again

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back