Moving.. Moving.. Moving..

Vin Swords

Fishaholic
Reaction score
so we r moving to bristol from london.

I got to move a 5x2x2 tank with few adult fish ( 2 ff syno, 4 discus, 7 angles, 1 RTBS.)

i got heat packs.. 25l plastic boxes.. bag buddies..

planing to move at midnight to avoid traffic..

any advise guys? thanks in advance..

tank photo btw..
373873_2444035454519_1060855073_4334547_1156283092_n.jpg

I'd ditch the plastic boxes and get some poly boxes from your lfs I've moved fish from London to me ( about 130 miles and the Water was still about the same temp )

mine are thick storage boxes with lids since i am planing to, not to use bags... thanks mate

I moved a slightly larger tank last week. Its a nightmare however i was lucky that I set a big plastic vat at the other end which was only a mile away

Main thing is tubs to take as much water as you can and take all the substrate and water out I moved mine last year with sand and water in which was a mare this time emptied it totally

good luck

Thanks man.. I will setup a 250l water butt with heater and a pump In Bristol... That will give me time to fully re do my tank.

Nice one

Thanks man.. I will setup a 250l water butt with heater and a pump In Bristol... That will give me time to fully re do my tank.

Nice one

your distances bit different to mine but it doesnt half take the pressure off I set my tank up the day after the move as I was so goosed from moving on the saturday and I knew the fish were fine in the vat

In november i moved all 11 tanks including my 6 foot tank. All i can say is do not underestimate how long it will take!! IT took me a total of 12 hours from start to finish.

I would advise using poly boxes too. I got them for free from my LFS.

My aquarium is 80kg of glass!! So i invested in glass lifting handles. SUCH a good idea as it made life SO much easier!

I drained one tank while catching fish in one previously drained. Bagged, added stress stuff (first time i used it) and elastic band the bags. Boxed, heat packs, tape up box, then onto the next tank! Granted you don't have the same hassle.

One big benefit of the poly boxes is that if you are delayed - draining the tank, moving it, packing the car/van, setting up at the other end, whatever, you don't want the pressure of getting the fish out the bucket ASAP! You want to make sure the tank is set up properly - levelled, in the correct position etc. Maybe even take the time to get the bits you can't normally get to a quick clean!

How long is that drive? This winter we are moving an 18hour drive away {It will take 2 days}, and I was planning to have the fish free swimming in bins. There are adapters for car cigarette lighters so we can plug a filter in the car. We are going to set up the bin in the back, hopefully with a heater as well. Then at the hotel AND at the new house, they won't have to be moved fromt he bin until we are ready, weeks even if it comes to that.

How long can a fish be in a bag safely with no oxygen?

Well they come from abroad in bags ( bigger bags yes but more fish to each bag)

Bae

Ask at your Lfs if they will save you some of the polystyrene boxes their fish come in.
My local pet shop always leave theirs outside with a note to say they're free to take

Some LFS's will inflate your bags with oxygen for the longer journey, might be worth an ask.

It's two hour drive.. I don't want to use bags as last time my ff syno catfish poke holes in the bag.. Will use bags for discus and angles..

So this is the drill..
I have setuped a 250 litre water butt with heater and pump.. Moving the fish and the filters next Friday (13th). Put the fish in the water butt and set the filters up. Coming back to London on Sunday to pickup the tank.. Fish will stay in the water butt for a 4 days while I do up the tank..

Will be ditching the t5 units and build a hood with led set up. Will build two units, one for me one for e-bay... one will be 60x1w 15k plus 20x1w 465nm blue led unit. Another one will be 100x1w 3k led unit.. If i go fully planted I will use the first.. If i go for cat litter & bog woods with Anubias, I will use the 2nd unit.

Most reactions

trending

Back