Moving Goldies To New Home And Tank Temp Question

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

kkcrd11

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi there

I am about to upgrade my 90L to a 180L and move my fancy goldfish into it , First off i would like to know which method is best. Im pretty new to keeping fish i've had my fancies about 3-4 month and have only just realised that the ORANDAS the petstore sold me (Pets at home) are not orandas at all but fantails :(

My other lfs where i got the bigger tank (not pets at home) says i should just use 40% of the water from my tank and this would be fine :( doesn't sound right after what i've read here . but should i take any of their old water with them ?? the water has tested fine this morning 0 amonia. 0 nitrites and 10 nitrates

Should i use the new filter along with the old filter for a while till the new filter has established or shall i seed the media from my old tank through the new filter in a bucket then just use the new filter.

The second question i have is my tank temp is at 24 on my fantails and blackmoor is this ok . I cant really get it any lower as thats just the room temperature. ??

If you can, put as much of the old media in the new filter as you possibly can. If you put your goldies in a bucket in old aquarium water and out all of the water from your 90 litre in the 180litre. Fill it up with clean dechlorinated tap water, wait a few hours, then you can put your fish in (test the tank water first). With regards to moving the actual fish, you could just use a net, or a jug :good:

24 degrees is quite high for goldfish, as they are coldwater. You will have to ask a different forum member on how to lower the temp, as all i know of is using a chiller but they are very expensive.

Hi there

I am about to upgrade my 90L to a 180L and move my fancy goldfish into it , First off i would like to know which method is best. Im pretty new to keeping fish i've had my fancies about 3-4 month and have only just realised that the ORANDAS the petstore sold me (Pets at home) are not orandas at all but fantails :(

My other lfs where i got the bigger tank (not pets at home) says i should just use 40% of the water from my tank and this would be fine :( doesn't sound right after what i've read here . but should i take any of their old water with them ?? the water has tested fine this morning 0 amonia. 0 nitrites and 10 nitrates

Should i use the new filter along with the old filter for a while till the new filter has established or shall i seed the media from my old tank through the new filter in a bucket then just use the new filter.

The second question i have is my tank temp is at 24 on my fantails and blackmoor is this ok . I cant really get it any lower as thats just the room temperature. ??

Hey there,

Since you're moving onwards and upwards to a new tank, try to transfer as much old water as possible. This way you know the water is safe, free from chlorine and ammonia. This will also help to prevent any pH, gH and kH shocks. Also try to use as much old media as possible as this will contain all of the bacteria that keep your fish alive.

In terms of temp, whilst this is on the high side, there's nothing that can really be done about it, I'm in the same boat there and mine are thriving. Just remember, it's a sudden shock that does the damage, so don't do a 90% water change with all new water etc etc.

Thanks to both of you for your replies . I wasn't sure re the water and would probably have used fresh. ah well i'm going to move them tomorrow and i hope it all goes well I realy dont wanna harm them.

One has been getting a bit frisky tonight chasing another around the tank, i think she must be ready to release some eggs I hope this doesnt affect me moving them as they are desperate for a bigger tank :blink:

Thanks again :good:

Well all went well and my fancies love their new home . I did as advised and used the water and i have two filters running the new one that came with the tank and the one from my old tank.

What i need to know now is how long should i leave the old filter in.. ??

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back