Motorised Syphon For Water Changes

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

ZoddyZod

Constantly learning
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
So I purchased a 'universal' hose connector for kitchen mixer tap and it's not as 'universal' as it claims.

Now I'm thinking of filling a 60L tub close to the sink and then sliding that to the tank. However, there is no way I can position it higher than the tank and use a standard syphon to refill. So I'm thinking about attaching a small electric water pump to a hose instead.

Anyone set up a similar system? What sort of pump am I after?

So I purchased a 'universal' hose connector for kitchen mixer tap and it's not as 'universal' as it claims.

Now I'm thinking of filling a 60L tub close to the sink and then sliding that to the tank. However, there is no way I can position it higher than the tank and use a standard syphon to refill. So I'm thinking about attaching a small electric water pump to a hose instead.

Would a powerhead work?

I used to use a New Jet NJ800 on my old tank, worked a treat with regular garden hose. In fact I've still got it and have no use for it, I'll need to get it up in the classifieds section.

Get a self tapping tap and attach it to the mains water supply under your sink, very very quick and easy to do. Tiz how i refil my tank, saves going outside to attach it to the outside tap in the winter when its frozen :D

I also had problems with a mixer tap attachment on my sink, the mixer tap was simply too curved.

Would a powerhead work?

that was one thought, but I don't know the diameter of the outlets and if they will match the hose. If someone has done this and can tell me which powerhead they bought???

get a self tapping tap

but then I could only add cold or hot water to the tank as I wouldn't be able to temperature match prior to adding.

I guess that would be fine on a 20% or less change, but if I needed to do a 50% the drop in temp may be too steep.

I used to use a New Jet NJ800 on my old tank, worked a treat with regular garden hose. In fact I've still got it and have no use for it, I'll need to get it up in the classifieds section.
so you just plonked this in a container and fed the hose into the tank?

Top up with a few kettles of boiling water and happy days :) Works for me :D

actually even with a 50% water change my temp only drops from 25 to 22 and its back to 25 in under an hour. It also takes about 40 mins to top it back up again. :eek: I've onyl ever used kettles to bring it up to temp when i first set it up.

so you just plonked this in a container and fed the hose into the tank?

Yep, only used it for filling a few times but it worked perfectly. Most of the time it was used for emptying the water and I would then refill using the hose connected to the tap.

Give this a try:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkgkNbWesGg&feature=related

Guy connected the siphon to a powerhead to a filter. That way you get no water loss when cleaning... don't know if this a good way or not to clean the tank, but I thought I would pass it on

I considered using a bilge pump from a boating store. They are designed to pump water with a decent head pressure and would do the job nicely, you would need a 12 volt plugpack of sufficient current rating to power it but being low voltage it would be quite safe. Otherwise your option is a powerhead but make sure it can handle the head pressure for the vertical distance you need the pump to lift the water.

Otherwise your option is a powerhead but make sure it can handle the head pressure for the vertical distance you need the pump to lift the water.

ahh, so that's what 'head pressure' is. Had seen it in the specs of pumps but didn't know what it was for :good:

I keep one length of 16/22 hose to which i have attached the gravel syphon hose.
This provides enough length to empty the tank.

To fill the tank, i put a bowl in the sink and drop a digital thermometer in there which refreshes every 8 seconds and has an alarm on it. I run both hot and cold taps until the temp is correct. I then attach the hose to a small submersible pump (Eheim compact 1000 is fine for me as it has variable flow and 2m max head which is enough) and put it in the bowl and the other end in the tank to which i add dechlorinator. Turn on the pump, job done.

You can use the pump to remove water from the tank as well if you dont want to gravel vac.

As long as there isnt a big difference in height from the sink to the tank then it should be fine.

but then I could only add cold or hot water to the tank as I wouldn't be able to temperature match prior to adding.
I just wanted to say that I regularly do 50 or 60% water changes from the cold tap with a hose and my fish are fine; you just need to trickle it back in slowly so the fish don't get shocked by too sudden a temperature change. I don't mind it taking so long, as long as I don't have to lug buckets back and forwards; I just sit and read or watch TV while it fills up again :)

It's a lot easier and cheaper than pumping the water, IMO.

everyone is mentioning using water from the hot tap, i was always under the impression that this was not suitable for drinking/fish? or has all this changed now with combi boilers?

Personally i just use cold water, even on 50% changes. the fish seem to love it, always swimming in and around it

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back