Moss Balls

Robot_Rooster

Fish Crazy
Joined
Oct 1, 2008
Messages
300
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Cardiff, Wales
Can anyone tell me if these are handy for tank, they are said to compete with algae and kill it. but would it harm any of my fish? someone said cories arnt algae eaters but then why am i feeding them algae wafers?
 
they will be fine with moss balls, they grow under low light. well worth getting.
 
I'd get more than one if you can. I've seen them on Ebay in packs of 5 for £5 or so. You can arrange them in clumps or just leave them to drift about. I have one in my Betta tank and he really likes it to rest on occasionally.

I had a notion the other day of scaping my spare 5 gallon tank with a thin layer of fine black gravel ( or a bare bottom ) , and making a solid carpet of mossballs by threading enough of them together with a needle and fishing line through their centres to make a surreal lumpy carpet for the tank base, perhaps allowing room for some wood in the off centre to rise out and generally look very odd and unusual, perhaps crowned with a java fern or providing a damp home for some Riccia if tall enough.

But that's just my faintly odd brain having a mad little fantasy :lol:
 
If you do that Honeythorn, I would love to see what it looks like :D
 
I honestly wish I could! But Mother has put her foot down with a firm hand and refused to have any more tanks anywhere in the house set up as permanent fish homes :( ( which is a pity as the kitchen has a nice spot.... ) I will have to wait until I've moved out to realise my stupendous dream! :lol:
 
someone said cories arnt algae eaters but then why am i feeding them algae wafers?

corys arnt algae eaters but they will eat it on occasions dunno why your feeding the algae wafers tbh preferable something like tetra prima should be there main diet... they will eat left over algae wafers but that wouldnt be a sufficient diet for them:)


as 2 the other question think many ppl have already given very good answers so i wont bother lol :P


jen
 
thats very artistic honeythorn :P but i heard they can grow up to 30 cm :o


WOW . Seriously? 30 cm in Diameter? :blink: Surely not in a typical low light tank? I can imagine such a thing happening in a high tech CO2 setup with high light and so on, but surely not in a bog standard 5 gallon with stock lighting?
 
someone said cories arnt algae eaters but then why am i feeding them algae wafers?

corys arnt algae eaters but they will eat it on occasions dunno why your feeding the algae wafers tbh preferable something like tetra prima should be there main diet... they will eat left over algae wafers but that wouldnt be a sufficient diet for them:)


as 2 the other question think many ppl have already given very good answers so i wont bother lol :P


jen

well on the pack it said for catfish :(
 
Have you tried them on "Nutrafin complete sinking tablets for bottom feeders and invertebrates" ? ( Small pink tabs that crumble easily when submerged ) My cories LOVE those, and get them combined with live bloodworm, cut up or baby earthworms, and some flake. I wouldn't feed them ONLY algae wafers, that won't provide all the things they need. Get some variety in there.
 
it ould takeyears for them to get that big as they only grow about 1cm a year.
 
it ould takeyears for them to get that big as they only grow about 1cm a year.


I thought you meant cories for a second! Ok so I have a good 30 years on the mossballs then . That's fine, it'll take me that long to get a huge tank for them ! I fully intend to be the mad old witch with a dozen cats, and other assorted animal life, AND have the most surreal tankscape in town! :lol:
 
i feed them blood worms they have a nice feed on these ones called "tetra fresh delica whole bloodworms" twice a week none of the other fish eat them because to be honest their crap they come out in chunks ¬¬ but the cories will eat them as they just sink to the bottom. i also on occasions buy them bloodworms from my lfs which they are responsible for most of the murdering. i have never tried earth worms because i think i'd look weird carrying one out form the street :P but i will still get them some tablets for a proper diet. they have breeded twice already the first eggs just disappeared from my breeding net and the second lot is in a tubaware :D

never knew about corries not being algae eaters and i'll do my best to help them get their diet! as two of them have be dyed >:(

and thanks!!
 

Most reactions

Back
Top