More Than One Female Betta

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

bluesword23516

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hi! So I have a thirty gallon tank, I want to put lots of live plants and good rock, caves and whatnot in there soon. I have a few breeds of tetra, and might have some guppy fry in there. I was wondering if would eventually be able to put a few betta females in there. Would that work?

how many tetras do you have? it might work, you would need at least 4 bettas I think, but we dont want overstocking!

I have 4 tetras, and I always forget that my zebra is danio not a tetra, but very similar aggression (not a lot) and about the same size. I have a white skirt tetra and the zebra and buddies. Sometimes they chase other fish together. They never hurt them, just to show who is boss. Would the bettas go after them?

How many of each of those do you have?
The white skirt & zebra danio each need their own group of 6+, and wouldn't put the zebra danio with bettas as the zebra prefers cooler water while the bettas are tropical.
What are the buddies?

I have 3 neons 1 white skirt 1 zebra. I was just saying that the danios and white skirt stick together because they were alone at the pet store and chose each other as part of their school in the tank. What temperatures do bettas like?

Bettas would like 78-82F
I wasn't saying that they don't stick together, just pointing out that you may want to look at your current stocking before adding anything.

No your fine, I just didn't know if you understood it the first time. Are there any plants that bettas really don't like?

Plastic ones since it can tear their fins.
Other than that, none that I can think of. Hmm..

Ok, I only have two plastic so they can be taken out.  As far as getting the females, what do you recommend?

Have you had bettas before, or is this your first time?
I personally prefer crowntails for their appearance, however really I haven't seen much difference in the title (crowntail, super delta, half moon, etc.) other than appearance. So the type I would say Is really up to you. Just make sure to slowly introduce the bettas you get to each other so you don't end up with all your fish killing each other.

I have never had bettas before. So would keeping them in floating bags right next to each other be good or should I get jars that are more clear?

Before you decide to add female bettas to your tank, I suggest you read the betta care sheet posted on the top of the betta section.  Bettas are an aggressive species of fish and the females can be more aggressive than males at times.  First off, I think you need to fix your numbers of the other fish and fix them before adding any other fish.  Each of your types needs 6 or so of its own species.  Once you up your other fish to the correct numbers I am not positive you will have enough stocking room for the number of female bettas that you need if you want to keep more than one in there with your current fish.  Plus the danio is not going to be happy at the temperature that the bettas need. 

At the moment, with your current stocking, I would not add any bettas.

Two problems.....
1) Your danio. Danios prefer cooler temperatures, between 18-22*C whereas bettas prefer their temperature at 26-30*C. If the water is cooler than the preferred temperature for the betta, it will become lethargic. If the temperature is above the preferred temperature for the danio, the danio will have a short lifespan. Another problem is that danios are nippy fish, that could harass your betta, danios are a lot more nippy when they are not kept in proper school sizes <6. 
Either rehome your danio or up your school number to at least 6 and don't get a betta.

2) Your skirt tetra. Black/white skirt tetras are very nippy fish, especially when kept alone or in small schools. If you get a betta, your white skirt tetra could harass your betta all that time, possibly stressing her to the point of death. 

Your neons also may be nippy, unless you get at least three more.

With not having had bettas before, if you rehome your danio and white skirt tetra and up the school number to at least 6 of your neon tetras then I think it would be best if you only get one betta until you're more experienced.

I've seen a few friends with tanks keeping 3 or 4 female bettas together with no problems. The bigger females become dominant though so watch out for that :)

I wasn't going to do the tank until my fish have died. So it could be a while, I just want to save up and learn more before I do this.

Most reactions

trending

Back