More Angel Fish Questions.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

FishGuest5123

Fish Maniac
Tank of the Month šŸ†
Reaction score
Iā€™m still toying with the idea of an angelfish tank...just toying still. If I got another 55G tank, how many angels could I put in it? Can I just get 2 males and 2 females and let them decide who to partner up with? Do you have to have breeding partners or is it possible to have all same sex tank?

sticking big (adult) angelfish together into a tank and hoping they pr off, never ends well. Buy 8-10 young fish and grow them up together and let them choose their own prs.

If I got another 55G tank, how many angels could I put in it?

Assuming the 55g is 4 feet in length, a group of five. But, when a pair forms, you may then be faced with having to remove the others, or the pair, and that leads to more trouble as the others may not work without the pair in that small a tank.

Can I just get 2 males and 2 females and let them decide who to partner up with?

No. As Colin noted, the fish must select their own mates and this means there has to be a group so they have a choice. Mind you, none of them may pair as a bond, but it is more likely to result in success if there are several to choose from.

Do you have to have breeding partners or is it possible to have all same sex tank?
Can I keep a male Only tank?

No to the males only question; as soon as you have more than one male, there will be individual territory issues. It is not just the male/female pairing issue, it is the fish's inherent behaviours we are dealing with here.

Females only might be more peaceful, I've never done this or heard of others who have. But something tells me it is not going to work. And, discerning male/female in juvenile fish is next to impossible.

If you guys get like 8 to 10 and let them pair off then do you give the others away ot to Lfs? 10 adults would be overstocked. If you end up with a few successful pairs will they harm the others that didnā€™t Pair off? Sorry for all of these questions but canā€™t find these answers when I Google it.

Most people separate the prs as they form and either put them in different tanks or sell them back to the pet shop.

If you have too many prs in a small tank, they will fight.

So I sell the pairs back to lfs.
Most people separate the prs as they form and either put them in different tanks or sell them back to the pet shop.

If you have too many prs in a small tank, they will fight.
If I sell the pairs back to the Lfs then do I keep the ones that didnā€™t pair off? Iā€™m sorry for being so dim witted in this topic.

I have an empty 29G tank in storage. Would it be possible to just buy a breeding pair and put them in that. I donā€™t want the fry though so hoping they would eat the eggs.

Or could I get 5 babies and then keep the 2 that do best as they grow?

So I sell the pairs back to lfs.

If I sell the pairs back to the Lfs then do I keep the ones that didnā€™t pair off? Iā€™m sorry for being so dim witted in this topic.

No, you do not keep the ones that didn't pair off. Once you remove the "pair" you are probably upsetting the hierarchy that has formed, and this is almost guaranteed to cause a bully to emerge from the fish left. Of course, if you had a group of say 12 to begin with and one or two pairs form, that is different; but once you get down below say five, you're asking for trouble.

Would it be possible to just buy a breeding pair and put them in that. I donā€™t want the fry though so hoping they would eat the eggs.

If the "pair" are certain to be bonded, yes. The purpose in acquiring a group and letting a pair form is that bonding is more likely.

A bonded pair will usually eat the eggs of the first couple of spawns (with commercially raised parents, rarely with wild fish) but after that they will only do so if severely stressed. They are, once bonded and settled, very good parents, and you will have a tank of fry.

Last edited:
I have an empty 29G tank in storage. Would it be possible to just buy a breeding pair and put them in that. I donā€™t want the fry though so hoping they would eat the eggs.
A pair will do great in a 29g and raise lots of babies.

My 65g currently has 6 angel's in it and only the younger gold pair lay eggs regularly.
I don't try and save the fry as I currently have no room for them.

The 2nd pair (marble) are the parents of the Gold ones. And the other 2 are marble and have never bonded or layed eggs.

This tank also contains 4 boesmani rainbows a clown loach and a albino bristle nose. Along with 3 German blue Rams (was 2 pair).

When the gold pair are spawning the male is very aggressive, but has never killed anyone. He mostly just keeps the other angle's and the rainbows away from the eggs.

16b653cc63dd59b5801afb7217bf4770.jpg
dfca1ecdd354d2f3b10d1b8849a7afde.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6010 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Cool! Thatā€™s what I needed. Thanks so much.

OK. So the plan at the moment is to set my 29G back up and get it cycled. Then I will add about 5 juvenile angel fish and see how they develop. Once I determine which 2 will do best together, I will take the others to LFS. Does anyone see problems with this plan? Still have to get stuff out of storage so wonā€™t happen tomorrow.

You buy a group and grow them up. They start to pair off. You keep the pair or pairs you like (depending on tanks available) and sell off the fish you don't want. You have 1 pair per tank and get rid of the others. Then you will have 2 fish that theoretically like each other and will be happy together.

Most reactions

Back