Mollies

TallTree01

Coo, Man
Reaction score
Ive been thinking about getting mollies recently. Question is are they freshwater, brackish water or sea water fish? Are they compatible with neon tetras? What are their ideal water parameters?
Thx in advance!

Harder more alkaline, will prefer slightly brackish conditions, need really clean water, probably not the best with neons.Ā 
Ā 
Sailfin mollies areĀ beautifulĀ and very under rated!Ā 
Ā 

Last edited by a moderator:
Mollies can live in just about any water. I kept mine in Freshwater and mild Brackish whereas my boyfriend has kept them with a Radiata Lionfish in pure marine before. I'll admit they do slightly better in Brackish water to pure Freshwater but they will live happily in any of the 3. They are fine with Neons as we used to have big Sailfins in with Neons in the old 4ft tank in pure Freshwater. Sailfins need a bigger tank though as they grow to about 6" long. Black mollies(pure, not crossed with other species) grow to about 2". Any run of the mill molly will grow anywhere between these two sizes so I always say give them a 2-3ft tank just in case they have Sailfin blood running through them.

TooManyChoices said:
Harder more alkaline, will prefer slightly brackish conditions, need really clean water, probably not the best with neons.Ā 
Ā 
Sailfin mollies areĀ beautifulĀ and very under rated!Ā 
Ā 
Ā 
They are not pure Sailfins. They are cross breed sailfins. Pure sailfins always look like this -Ā http://www.thejump.net/id/pics/sailfin-molly.jpg
Their latin name isĀ Poecilia Latipinna

Last edited by a moderator:
Mollies are very hardy fish and can even be kept in a tank that is being cycled (however i've heard against this.) But they are beautiful fish and do very well in communities! :)

Mollies make great beginner fish and do great in communities! I have a BB molly, and a dalmation molly lyre tail. However, make sure to get only males or only females unless u want a ton of fry!

Thanks you guys. Do they need to be kept in groups or can they be kept singly? Can they be fed tropical granules and flake? Will they do well with ph 6.5? Could you give me some pics of your mollies please?

TallTree01 said:
Thanks you guys. Do they need to be kept in groups or can they be kept singly? Can they be fed tropical granules and flake? Will they do well with ph 6.5? Could you give me some pics of your mollies please?
Ā 
Do they need to be kept in groups or can they be kept singly?Ā Either, it doesn't really bother them :lol:
Can they be fed tropical granules and flake?Ā Yup. What do you think mine got fed? XD
Will they do well with a ph 6.5?Ā Well mine did, my PH is naturally about 6.4.
Could you give me some pics of your mollies please?Ā Here you go :)
Ā 
My old male Chocolate Sailfin, basically a Sailfin x Chocolate molly.
Photo0327.jpg

Photo0106.jpg

Photo0079.jpg

Ā 
My old Goldust girl.
Photo0320.jpg

Ā 
My old Marble girl(she looks dalmation but she had blue and brown on her as well which makes her marble) and my Goldust girl.
Photo0134.jpg

Ā 
Babies from the Goldust x Chocolate Sailfin.
Photo0096.jpg

Photo0099.jpg

Ā 
Platinum Lyretail Male.
Photo0156.jpg

Thanks paradise<3, your golddust one looks so much like a goldfish. You guys have made up my mind on my next type of fish.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back