Mixing Gouramis

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

We used to keep Gouramis and we had a problem with the Opaline and Gold. We found them to be quite aggressive even though we had 1 male and 2 female of each variety. The Pearl Gouramis were extremely peaceful and we had no problems with them at all. I'm afraid I'm not an expert though and am only going by my own experience.

We used to keep Gouramis and we had a problem with the Opaline and Gold. We found them to be quite aggressive even though we had 1 male and 2 female of each variety. The Pearl Gouramis were extremely peaceful and we had no problems with them at all. I'm afraid I'm not an expert though and am only going by my own experience.

And I choose to trust your previous experience. Thanks for the information, you probably saved me a future headache.

Blue, lavender, gold, opaline, platinum etc - these are ALL THE SAME SPECIES! They all have exactly the same temperament. The collective name is 'three-spot' gourami (Trichogaster trichopterus). They are one of the most aggressive species.

Pearls, on the other hand, are very peaceful, amiable community fish.

If you want either of these species, either go for a trio of pearls (1 male, 2 females) or for four FEMALE three-spots (color is irrelevant).

Pairs of any type of common gourami rarely work out.

Both species are easy to sex - males have a longer dorsal and females are plumper. In three-spots, the male's dorsal is also more pointed. In pearls, males develop extended 'lace-like' fin rays and a bright orange-red ventral coloration.

Another peaceful Gourami is the thick-lipped one. We had a pair of females in our tank and they showed no aggression at all.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back