Mixing Cory Catfish...good Idea?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

tropicallover

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Good Idea?
You See, I bought a Cory Catfish. I dont know what kind but it was $7. I dont want to have to buy another $7 fish so could i mix it with the Albino Cats that are on sale?

Do you have a picture? A good picture and we can probably get an ID on your fish for you.

No, emerald cats shouldn't be mixed with albino cory cats so once again, you should return it as you can't support a full school of them

If you happen to have a common C aeneus like this one
c_aeneus.jpg
, chances are good that the albinos you are contemplating are the same species. If they are, they will ignore color differences and mix just fine.

Maybe I am misunderstanding the OP's question, and correct me if I'm wrong, but the OP can have two different Cory's in the tank.

Cories of different species will mix, but more of their own species is infinitely preferable.

There won't be any aggression issues and they'll probably shoal together, but only as a 'last resort', so to speak.

You'd be better off returning the odd one and getting a proper group of the albinos, if that's easier on your pocket.

This is the OP's situation
1 Dwarf Gourami
1 Cory Catfish
3 Red Wag Platies
4 Mollies
In one of this persons previous posts they stated that they had an emerald cat. The OP can't support a full school of them, and they won't even school with albinos

Yes, if it is Brochis splendens, often called 'emerald cory', as sometimes is Corydoras aeneus, then it's not that closely related and won't shoal with them. They do get pretty big as well; three inches or so, and are quite chunky.

A biggish fish really, especially when you take the shoaling element into account.

Yes, if it is Brochis splendens, often called 'emerald cory', as sometimes is Corydoras aeneus,

C. aeneus are not referred to as 'emerald cory.' Their common name is 'bronze cory." Please do not confuse them.

This is the OP's situation
1 Dwarf Gourami
1 Cory Catfish
3 Red Wag Platies
4 Mollies
In one of this persons previous posts they stated that they had an emerald cat. The OP can't support a full school of them, and they won't even school with albinos

Fishy friend2,

Please let the OP speak for himself/herself.

Hey Everyone! I found out it is an Emerald cory. It is the one listed in the picture above. I got him a friend. I also got 2 dalmation Cories.

I meant Dalmation Mollies**

Did you get an albino or another emerald Cory, we have already told you, multiple times per and over, that you can't support a full school of emerald cories or else your tank will be overstocked

At the end of the day who can provide room for a "Full school" of a few hundreds of corys anyway :lol:

Some species of Cory will be fine together but what size is your tank? I mean, the Emeralds are one of the biggest types you can get and you should really get 6 or more so, what size tank do you have again?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back