Mini Discus

actually i was at my lfs today getting some plants and getting inverts for our new salt tank, and i saw some pretty stunning longfin albino bristlenoses. i think i will get some instead since i know for sure they wont bother the discus :good: here is my plan now, 3 discus (dont know what kind), 2-3 albino longfin bristlenoses. does this sound all right? also got some cambomba which is good for discus.
I hate spammers :angry:

yeah after i wrote that i was thinking that once a pair formed they would bully the other. so i should have, 2 discus (pair if possible) and 2 longfin albino bn's? could i keep anything else with them becuase i think it would look empty

yeah after i wrote that i was thinking that once a pair formed they would bully the other. so i should have, 2 discus (pair if possible) and 2 longfin albino bn's? could i keep anything else with them becuase i think it would look empty
I definetely wouldn't reccomend it , both discus and bn's are high waste producers.Belive me a 7-8' discus will look big in that tank :drool: :good:

I don't meant to be rude but i don't think you have a clue what your doing.Just because you are following peoples good advice on this forum does not mean it's all going to be plain sailing.From what i have read it seems like you know only the faintest bit about them...

Thank you for saying that cheesy feet! I am very worried about the well being of these fish. I hope this gentleman understands how sensitive this species of fish can be. Owning Discus is like having children, they are very demanding and require very solid water paramiters. Im sorry if im on a high horse and you really know what your doing, but please think about the well being of the fish befor you get them just to have "pretty fish" or pasty day dreams of breeding fish for no reason! Just my 50 Cents :good:

I don't meant to be rude but i don't think you have a clue what your doing.Just because you are following peoples good advice on this forum does not mean it's all going to be plain sailing.From what i have read it seems like you know only the faintest bit about them...

Thank you for saying that cheesy feet! I am very worried about the well being of these fish. I hope this gentleman understands how sensitive this species of fish can be. Owning Discus is like having children, they are very demanding and require very solid water paramiters. Im sorry if im on a high horse and you really know what your doing, but please think about the well being of the fish befor you get them just to have "pretty fish" or pasty day dreams of breeding fish for no reason! Just my 50 Cents :good:

No, he doesnt understand it. matt295 you may want to try something like Angelfish first, they don't need as much attention and they like the same water perimeters but don't need the same amount of time and care the Discus require. I'm only being harsh because i've found the easiest way to get through to someone is to do exactly that. Trust me, 3 or 4 weeks after you get your Discus you will be running back here screaming for help because you've spent so much money on them and you've done something wrong that you can't fix due to your lack of knowledge.

No, he doesnt understand it. matt295 you may want to try something like Angelfish first, they don't need as much attention and they like the same water perimeters but don't need the same amount of time and care the Discus require. I'm only being harsh because i've found the easiest way to get through to someone is to do exactly that. Trust me, 3 or 4 weeks after you get your Discus you will be running back here screaming for help because you've spent so much money on them and you've done something wrong that you can't fix due to your lack of knowledge.

Start with angels, discus are not a beginner's fish. Much of what applies to keeping & breeding discus applies to angels as well. Discus are like having a younger kid, that is an excellent comparison, you constantly have to keep an eye on them. You ned to know fish behavior, this is only learned from personal experience. Much of what you observe with angels is the same, or nearly so, as discus. The knowledge transfers very easily, but you have to have that knowledge first. You won't gain that from any forum.

Start with angels, discus are not a beginner's fish. Much of what applies to keeping & breeding discus applies to angels as well. Discus are like having a younger kid, that is an excellent comparison, you constantly have to keep an eye on them. You ned to know fish behavior, this is only learned from personal experience. Much of what you observe with angels is the same, or nearly so, as discus. The knowledge transfers very easily, but you have to have that knowledge first. You won't gain that from any forum.

I tried to keep discus for awile. I Bit off a little more than I could chew and had to give my fish back befor I killed them through ignorance. And iv been keeping and breeding fresh water fish for around 2 years. Iv had fish all my life, but seriously breeding and studying fish for 2 years. I agree with starting with Angel fish. They have excellent fish to owner relationships IMO, and as some of the guys have said they share alot of similar behaviors. But like I said, just think about the life of the fish. They are living animals that deserve to be treated well.

can i keep plecos with discus (a leopard frog pleco, king tiger pleco, and candy striped pleco?)

You could, it's the larger plecs that cause problems sucking on the sides of discus, but you'll need to watch them carefully and be able to remove the plecos if you see any sign of this. However, in your tank size I would not keep three plecos with discus, too much waste IMO. Maybe try one.

can i have the two discus with two rams or is this a no no?lol

Should be fine, if you give the rams some cover.

should i use RO water (i think i should) but i dont know where to get it from.

Almost certainly yes, unless your very lucky to have perfect tap water. You can buy RO water from any decent LFS. Much better and cheaper in the long run to purchase your own RO filter to hook up to your water supply though.

i have soft water with no chlorine (lucky me).

Where does your water come from? If its tap water than its very unlikely to not have chlorine or some cleaning agent in it.

changing the PH means adding chemicals and thats never really a good thing. plus when you do a water change you have to add the right amount of chemical back in to get it to the right level and this can cause PH swings which u dont want.

Your right that adding chemicals to alter the pH is never a good thing, that is why we use RO water. The RO water is practically pure, so you just add in either untreated tap water or minerals (such as RO Right) to achieve the hardness you want.

here is my plan now, 3 discus (dont know what kind), 2-3 albino longfin bristlenoses. does this sound all right?

No, and it shows you still have more research to do...

Discus should be kept in either breeding pairs or groups. A breeding pair is a pair that have formed and started to breed successfully, they can be kept in smaller tanks than is usual to keep discus and there should be little aggression.

This is the only option open to you unless you get a bigger tank.

If you can't get a breeding pair you cannot just buy two discus. 9/10 times they will not get on and in such a small tank the weaker fish has no where to get away from the other. Illness and death is very likely to result.

If you want a group your looking at five fish, and a 55g tank minimum.

First things first...
1.Can you feed juvies 3-5 times a day as they need
2.Can you take the cost of buying frozen food, expensive granules, reverse osmosis unit or water [though from what you have said with your tapwater i do not see a problem]
3.Can you do water changes every 2-4 days for juvies.
4.Have you got the filtration [sorry if i have missed it] and overall funds.
Also as kev says, for you to not know that 3 discus is a bad idea proves you need to do more research.

shift key is broken. :blink:

ok i have been keeping fish since i was 6. i have had angels before so i thought of a challenge.
im going to try and get two nice sized discus (at least 4 in.) and the 2 bn's. if it doesnt work out i will take them back but i just want to try it. i have been researching about them for quite a long tiem now DiscusLova so stop trying to put people down.

cheeseyfeet- i have never kept discus before so i dont know what will happen. i have no good info other than here because my parents wont get me books, and i dont know any good sites for info. this is the best place i got so im trying the best i can. if you know so much why dont you help me out? :good: i would really appreciate it.
Mystix- what do you mean water conditions?

OMG how is it that you have apparently kept fish before-since you were 6 no less, and not know what water conditions mean?
Discus are not a beginners fish,if you read this thread from start to finish there is a clear pattern of people telling you not to get more than 2 discus in the tank you have! And that they DEFINETELY will outgrow your tank before they pair up!, to get a PROVEN pair it is costly and if you get it wrong(not a proven pair)can very well be fatal! the fact that you continue to ask (as if you are going to get an oppinion you like/want to hear)to me would be upsetting if i was the person trying to help you especially being that the same information was given to you many, many times
I live in Australia where we have naturally(almost deficiantly)soft water, and even though i have been keeping fish for 2 years(not including the year when i was younger when i had a huge, incredibly old oscar given to me in a 6 foot tank-who subsequently died of old age-put me off for years)i still wouldn't consider getting discus as they are incredibly expensive and fussy fish
YES these fish are like children, even other, less hard to keep fish can be like this if you want them to be not only healthy, but happy as well
I AM BY NO MEANS AN EXPERIENCED AQUARIST, but there ARE some on this thread telling you the exact same thing
If you want to ask people for advice i suggest that you at least listen to what they have to say
PLEASE research more before you even think about looking in your lfs for the actual fish
Good luck...sorry to rain on your parade but i had to say it
Read the thread from start to finish-it's all there
P.S. cycle the tank for as long as you can before puting discus in...i cycle for 2 weeks for just tetras e.t.c-much better to be safe than sorry-especially with an expensive fish

ok i have been keeping fish since i was 6. i have had angels before so i thought of a challenge.
im going to try and get two nice sized discus (at least 4 in.) and the 2 bn's. if it doesnt work out i will take them back but i just want to try it. i have been researching about them for quite a long tiem now DiscusLova so stop trying to put people down.

sounds great, just make sure they are a pair!
again..Good luck

Most reactions

Back