Middle ground needed for betta tankmate...

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Willbacon23

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Firstly water parameters: 0ppm ammonia nitrite 11DGH hardness, 20G heavily planted betta tank. My brother has lost control of algae and is really wanting a cleanup crew to help a little bit, as well as wanting more tankmates with his betta. The betta is incredibly well natured and when in contact with shrimp and snails before has completely let them be. I’ve suggested to get some nerite snails and cherry shrimp again but he wants another fish in the tank. The only thing I could think of that would work is otocinclus, but even that I’m not sure so needing help from the forum for him. He does do continual algae work (once a week.) so just wants creatures to help a little bit with it and to add life

Amano shrimp and bettas ignore each other in my experience, and they are great algae eaters. What is the nitrate level and lighting schedule of the tank? There are better ways of dealing with algae than algae eaters.

Bettas are not community fish and shouldn't be kept as such.

Depending on the temperament of the betta, it may be able to be kept with cherry shrimp, amano shrimp, and some species of snail.

It would help to know the actual "algae" issue here. Some people expect algae-free tanks, but that is impossible and it would mean a less than healthy environment for fish. Algae is normal and not a problem, provided it is kept under control. Problem algae is due to too much light and/or too many nutrients. If plants are present, algae must be kept in control. But without higher plants, it depends.

My experience of Betta's, which I believed to be placid, living with cherry shrimp was finding pieces of cherry shrimp scattered across the tanks and bloated betta's floating around all happy with themselves. That's just my experience with four seperate betta's and around twelve shrimp (still feel pretty bad about that). Armano shrimp on the other hand seem to work well. I'm not sure whether them being transparent isn't as appetising for the betta's as the little red treats that frantically duck and dive or whether most betta's are just a little stupid :lol: I'd recommend Armano's, as large as possible too! They might flare at them for a bit and investigate them, but they soon realise they'd be a challenge to eat and decide to wait for their actual dinner!
Best of luck!

I wonder if a bamboo shrimp would work hmmm
Couldn't tell you from experience. Personally I'd go for large, transparent types. By all means, try it. Just expect it will probably have its head ripped off

Just expect it will probably have its head ripped off
I personally wouldn't put the shrimp through that ordeal. I say, get the betta. Then see if it has a bad temper. If it does, dont add any shrimp. If it doesn't, try any shrimp of your choosing.

Bamboo shrimp like more flow than a betta would like. So I wouldn't do them. Amanos would make a better fit.
Why is everyone against cherry shrimp? Cherry shrimp get a long with bettas very well. (Depending on the bettas temperament)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back