Microbubbles cause swollen bladders and stomachs?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Stan510

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Saw a vid about Dansfish.com and his huge commercial tropical fish business and he mentions losing fish to microbubbles until installing bleeder valves to vent then out.
I wonder if aquarist who use vortexes and air pumps to a high degree lose fish that way? I see where Florida fishrescuse Viktor uses much vortex to aerate all his giant aquariums and he seems to lose many fat bellied fish before they reach old age.
What do you think? I think pond or lake fish might be more susceptible than fish from streams?..no proof.

I'm skeptical. It's really cold here in winter, and when it's in that -30 range, tapwater is full of microbubbles. You forget and get careless, and your fish are in champagne.

And yet when we discussed this in our aquarium club, no one could report an actual loss to microbubbles. I have screwed up and seen fish coated, but they came through it just fine.

Dan said "The fish don't just have fine bubbles on them,they are GIVING THEM OFF, as they are saturated". I think its a problem of constant bubbles more then for a water change.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back