methods of cleaning hair algae off moss?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

The otos aren't helped because they don't eat hair algae I'm afraid! They do a fanstastic job of the softer green algaes though, as well as being adorable! Shrimp wouldn't help with hair algae either... maybe amanos would, not sure about them, but neos wouldn't.

I can't help much I'm afraid, except sympathise since I battle hair algae in one of my tanks too. Nearly always seems to be problem with too much light and perhaps excess nutrients too, so at least moss is fine with less light!

Also wanted to reply to say what a beautiful tank you have! It's clear you've worked hard on it, and it's paid off. It's lovely.

The otos aren't helped because they don't eat hair algae I'm afraid! They do a fanstastic job of the softer green algaes though, as well as being adorable! Shrimp wouldn't help with hair algae either... maybe amanos would, not sure about them, but neos wouldn't.

I can't help much I'm afraid, except sympathise since I battle hair algae in one of my tanks too. Nearly always seems to be problem with too much light and perhaps excess nutrients too, so at least moss is fine with less light!

Also wanted to reply to say what a beautiful tank you have! It's clear you've worked hard on it, and it's paid off. It's lovely.
Thanks, the otos are by far my favorite fish in the tank, they really are the best of both worlds, they are active AND clean the tank (mine will actually eat the hair algae off of most of the leaves). I’m not a fish guy most of the time (I prefer the plants), but with the otos I make an exception. As I’m writing this, they are trailing each other and pushing for spots on the glass!

How long has the tank been set up? Because I don't think adding shrimp would push the bio load too much, as you already have plenty of plants. For algae eating I would get amino shrimp. For prettiness get crystal shrimp or blue bolt.

Also what type of moss is that? depending on the type the moss won't grow as fast and then will have algae grow over it. To counter this maybe add some more fast growing plants such as pearlweed. You could also lower the light by adding floaters like frog bit or salvinia.

EDIT: another method is to put electrical tape over the light where you want it to be darker. I can confirm from experience it works well.

How long has the tank been set up? Because I don't think adding shrimp would push the bio load too much, as you already have plenty of plants. For algae eating I would get amino shrimp. For prettiness get crystal shrimp or blue bolt.
This tank has been going for a little over six months. But I actually salvaged the soil, some of the plants, and the filter from a tank that cracked, so bacteria has been building for around a year. I am just hesitant to add anything else, because the oto stocking rates I could find online mostly claimed that I have a tank that is very close to being too small. It is only 20 liters.

Also what type of moss is that? depending on the type the moss won't grow as fast and then will have algae grow over it. To counter this maybe add some more fast growing plants such as pearlweed. You could also lower the light by adding floaters like frog bit or salvinia.

EDIT: another method is to put electrical tape over the light where you want it to be darker. I can confirm from experience it works well.
I’ve been wanting to put pearl weed and rotala in the back for some time now, I just need to do it. I think a red and green backdrop would look good, and less algae is always a benefit. I believe the moss names are already on here, but it’s a little ficcidens with mostly peacock moss (can’t remember the name). Apparently it’s one of the fastest growing species in the hobby. Thanks for the advice.

Also, congratulations on tank of the month! It looks really good!

Thank you kindly! It's looking a bit of a wreck at the moment since I'm moving tanks around/changing/upgrading, but hopefully I'll be able to enter contests again soon! You should enter your tank next time TOTM is doing 15 gallons or less :) It's all in good fun, and the more people who enter the better!

Thanks, I probably will at some point, I’m hopeful for a full carpet by this summer, maybe after then 😁
A big part of the competition is that your tank doesn't have to be "finished" in order to enter! They're a constantly evolving ecosystem after all, so please don't feel that it needs to be perfect, or that you've reached your goals before entering! It's still beautiful as it as, after all :)

As a general rule the higher the oxygen content in your tank the less algae you will have, ways to achieve this are
Lower your temperature
Increase your filtration
Use activated carbon in your filter
Add more plants
Reduce your fish population
Use air curtains
Increase the water circulation in the tank

As a general rule the higher the oxygen content in your tank the less algae you will have, ways to achieve this are
Lower your temperature
Increase your filtration
Use activated carbon in your filter
Add more plants
Reduce your fish population
Use air curtains
Increase the water circulation in the tank
Kia ora! I have most of those, but an excuse to buy more plants is always welcome! 😁

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back