melanin in vienna emerald double sword

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

xipo817

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I bought vienna emerald from a shop 2 month ago and raising children.
But they are not as beautiful as they used to be 10 years or so ago.(I regret I didn't keep the old strain.)
Their emerald color got less vivid and they got micromelanin stain in its caudal fin upper base(the place I want the fish to have light yellow but now it can be very dark black to yellow depending on his mood) and some fish has the stain even in his dorsal.
How can I make them more beautiful?
It is often said in japan that it has became hard to find beutiful vienna emerald strain in Japan lately.
Actually I want to make golden(japanese tiger) vienna emerald strain from scratch.
So as its parent I want to creat stable beutiful vienna emerald.
How can I do that?
vienna emerald.jpg

Try to find new virgin vienna emerald females. The way both sword markings in the caudal look like right now, looks similar to those of an endler at this point.

Yeah I will.
My current strain has problem in fertility.

I cant figure out why they prduce so few children.
I have to find out why.

I cant figure out why they prduce so few children.
I have to find out why.
First I would try to find out what the cause of that problem might be before going any further... Colin has already mentioned one thing.

A lot of common livebearers sold at shops have intestinal worms and this can stop the fish breeding. The worms suck the blood out of the fish and weaken them, and the weak fish won't breed. Sometimes the fish have lots of worms in them and they can look fat like a pregnant guppy, but they are actually full of worms. After the fish have been treated for worms and given time to recover, they usually start producing young.

See section 3 of the following link for deworming fish.

Most reactions

trending

Back