FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

WhistlingBadger

Professional Cat Herder
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Tank of the Month 🏆
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
It came to my attention in another thread that I never did a proper "Introduce yourself" post when I joined the forum eleven years ago. So here you go.

Hi! My name is Thomas. I live in Wyoming, at the base of the Wind River Mountain Range. I'm really into Walstad-ish biotope tanks. I'm currently running a Sumatran Rice Paddy 12g long which is coming along splendidly, and a Rio Negro/Orinoco Flooded Forest 150g which is having some fairly minor cyanobacteria issues and can't support cories to save its life, but otherwise is beautiful and wonderful. I help moderate a fish forum, which sort of combines the roll of teacher, fisheries biologist, research librarian, and UN Peacekeeper.

When I'm not playing with fishies, I can usually be found teaching little kids to sing, playing Celtic music, running up and down mountains, making wooden bows and arrows, and using same in my ongoing, usually unsuccessful attempts to kill animals and eat them. I currently have a foot injury that is seriously cramping my style with all of the above, but it's temporary and should be better soon.

I look forward to getting to know you all better, hope you'll answer all my questions and tell me what I should do, and occasionally ask a question I know the answer to, so I can feel smart.

Are you a native born and bred Wyomingan or a transplant ?
They say I was born in Arizona, but I don't remember it. Been in Wyoming since I was a baby, so I'm calling it close enough. :lol: 🦬

Welcome to the forum! 😅

(but youre a bit late to the party 🤣)
I cant really say much on the matter though... I was selfish as well and didnt do an intro 🤣...
I saw that about two months ago and went: "Well I hope no one notices" :rofl:

When I'm not playing with fishies, I can usually be found teaching little kids to sing, playing Celtic music, running up and down mountains, making wooden bows and arrows, and using same in my ongoing, usually unsuccessful attempts to kill animals and eat them. I currently have a foot injury that is seriously cramping my style with all of the above, but it's temporary and should be better soon.
How do you pronounce Celtic?
Kel tick or sell tick?

-----------------
you need to practice more when it comes to hunting and eating your prey. Come. Join us. Become a :werewolf:

How do you pronounce Celtic?
Kel tick or sell tick?

-----------------
you need to practice more when it comes to hunting and eating your prey. Come. Join us. Become a :werewolf:
Keltic. Although both are technically considered correct.

I do need more practice hunting. But in hunting style, I'm more of a were-mountain lion. I'm just not very good at it. If I hunted with modern gear, I'd kill more stuff. But I enjoy doing things the hard way.

Keltic. Although both are technically considered correct.

I do need more practice hunting. But in hunting style, I'm more of a were-mountain lion. I'm just not very good at it. If I hunted with modern gear, I'd kill more stuff. But I enjoy doing things the hard way.
One of my English pet peeves - In Greek, the C is a alternate form of Sigma and pronounced as an S in English. K uses the hard pronunciation. I'm unsure of how or when the C pronunciation ambiguity krept into English.

One of my English pet peeves - In Greek, the C is a alternate form of Sigma and pronounced as an S in English. K uses the hard pronunciation. I'm unsure of how or when the C pronunciation ambiguity krept into English.
Yeah, English is a mess.
“The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a [something we don't say on the forums; use your imagination]. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.”

― James D. Nicoll

Being an intro thread, I hope this is not too hijacky ...

This alternation is caused by a historical palatalization of /k/ which took place in Late Latin, and led to a change in the pronunciation of the sound [k] before the front vowels [e] and .[2][3] Later, other languages not directly descended from Latin, such as English, inherited this feature as an orthographic convention.

Proof positive as to why I am an engineer as the above is all Greek to me ;)

Wow... you're an old and new member at the same time... That's odd! 😊😜😁
This must be one of those time lapses that people say of that it doesn't exist...
1658337440782.png

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back