Fish in Sumba Island, Indonesia

The most common fish there looked exactly like Pearl Danios, but I see that Pearl Danios are found in Myanmar, Thailand, and Sumatra. Sumba Island is a long way away from those locations.
Don't forget that certain species have been introduced to other waters as well.

I had seen some small fish that I thought were juveniles, but the fish with the black spots and yellow splodges at 2:30 or so seem very much a different species from the others. I also see what might be guppies/mosquito fish, and the colourless gobies I saw the first time but didn't think I had video of this time. As Emerald King says, introductions are possible. Some of the street drains in Waingapu are utterly swarming with small fish, that I think might be mosquito fish. There is malaria here and dengue fever is a risk too.

Last edited:

I had seen some small fish that I thought were juveniles, but the fish with the black spots and yellow splodges at 2:30 or so seem very much a different species from the others. I also see what might be guppies/mosquito fish, and the colourless gobies I saw the first time but didn't think I had video of this time.
The volume is a bit blurred but I could understand some of it. Besides European, I also have an Indonesian background. Hope you'll post more of such videos over here. Thanks for sharing...

This makes me think that there might be more than one species of striped goby (assuming that the colourless ones are a species themselves.) Some of the female looking fish are much longer than other ones, for the same-ish diameter of body.

The volume is a bit blurred but I could understand some of it. Besides European, I also have an Indonesian background. Hope you'll post more of such videos over here. Thanks for sharing...

Thank you. My Indonesian is basic but it is improving rapidly.

With the videos I've just posted, I think I've run out of things to post. I'll check through some of the other files, but this might be all I have. This time. Now that I know how to use the camera, I will be looking for other opportunities and places to use it in a similar fashion.

Thank you. My Indonesian is basic but it is improving rapidly.

With the videos I've just posted, I think I've run out of things to post. I'll check through some of the other files, but this might be all I have. This time. Now that I know how to use the camera, I will be looking for other opportunities and places to use it in a similar fashion.
So, how long are you planning to stay?

Only for one more day now. I'll be back. I mean that I will be looking for opportunities to survey aquatic environments in similar ways in other places in the world and in Indonesia too. But, in the future.
Sounds amazing! Make sure you keep us upto date.

Few YouTube channels to tempt you out haha
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL8sLYZ87e9xEtmAG9AMgqQ
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCW-U1y4Z9e_vF9tDhhjHgJA
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPIqqwsV_MYrDlsJriEhURA <---- @Colin_T you might like this one too :)

Wills

Thanks @Willis for the links. I've started watching them. I remember randomly finding an example of a video like this from the Philippines, though I was disappointed that there weren't many fish in it. Certainly plenty in the rivers in Brazil.

Having searched around it is a bit of a D'oh moment that I didn't immediately recognise the fish with yellow splodges and dots as wild type guppies, which explains the live-bearer females in my videos.

I am inspired to try more of this. There's a small river near me in Leicester where off the top of my head I've seen at least nine species of fish, and there are probably more. I think it would justify a biotype video by itself. Though, if I posted 'here' it would be in the Coldwater sub-forum, not Tropical. Willis, I note that you and others are moderators and I assume can advise on suitability of the topic - please do.

I note the equipment they guy in Brazil has. I have all of the swimming equipment that he does except for a snorkel - it was inconvenient having to surface to breathe all the time. Snorkels are cheap and I swim at a big local diving centre with a shop. He has a much better/bigger camera than me, but I think my GoPro did a reasonable job.

I noted that in the port in Kupang (Island of Timor) there were plentiful fish and some coral underneath the pier. But, no time to go swimming and filming there. (And later on I was told that sometimes there are crocodiles there.) Flying over Indonesia, I noted plentiful presumably coral reefs and lakes/rivers/rice paddies.

I'm back on Sumba Island again. I was just wondering if anyone can identify the fish that might be some type of barb here. The first clear shots of the might-be-barbs are at about 24 seconds in. I know what guppies are :)

EDIT: Ooops, I was thinking the video would be available by the time I could post about it. Apologies if anyone attempted to watch it before it's uploaded and processed.

In the meantime, this is where the video was taken.

kelo-1754521778.jpg

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back