Meds Recomendation

Christi_22

Fish Crazy
Joined
Jan 15, 2009
Messages
386
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
London
Hi

I have asked advice on my Betta, (on several forums) who is definitely not himself. So far no one seems to have any ideas on what the problem could be, although he is still eating and swimming around, I am worried as I think he needs treatment. but not being able to accurately identify the problem makes this difficult.

Can anyone recommend a broad spectrum medication that could possibly help?

I am currently trying Melafix (at reduced dosage). but understand that this is more a preventative than cure, and is used more to help the healing process.

I have read some positive things about Esha 2000 and Exit. has anyone used these products, I know this is a difficult question, without knowing what the problem is with my Betta, but I was thinking I really need to do something rather than just keeping the water pristine. I also have Shrimp so any recommended meds would need to be ok for them, or else I could seperate Aslan into quarantine

Hope someone can help, or let me know of their experience with different meds.

Thanks
C
 
Would be better if you can give us some more information on what is wrong with him, so maybe a better diagnosis could be made and the correct, if any, medication is recommended.

Can you give us your water stats, in ammonia, nitrIte and nitrAte please, tank size and how long it has been set up, is he the only occupant?

Signs of illness are?
 
I find this is really hard with bettas. One of my boys was fine day before yesterday, bit lethargic yesterday ,so I did half water change. He is now covered in white fluff and I thought he was dead but he isnt quite. Now I am thinking if I had known yesterday I could have treated him with something instead of just stress coat.
I dont think mine will pull through now I am just leaving him he is too far gone, but I hope yours will be ok I am crossing my fingers for the little love...xx
 
Liz2, sounds like columnaris, you need myxazin and pimafix, he can be saved if you treat him quick enough.
 
I use melafix on all of my bettas and never had a problem.
What exactly was wrong with him?
 
I use melafix on all of my bettas and never had a problem.
What exactly was wrong with him?

All the details are in the above link. The thing is before using Melafix he was eating and swimming around. after using Melafix he died within hours.

His symptoms were a white spot on his right fin, he also had some little "bubble type" growths on the end of his dorsal fin.

I know lots of people have used Melafix with no adverse effects but I for one will not use it with Bettas again. I have read that it affects the Labyrinth Organ
 
Lymphocystis



Symptoms:

Fish infected with Lymphocystis will present with clusters of whitish, berry-like growths on the skin and fins. These "clusters" may resemble small clutches of eggs or cauliflower (hence, it is sometimes called Cauliflower Disease). They will be clearly visible and may even become extremely large. This disease often affects the fins first.



Cause:

Viral infection. The virus will eventually kill the fish if it is unable to mount a strong enough immune response as the virus rampages through the fish’s tissues, destroying its cells.



Treatment:

As with all viral infections, there is no suitable cure or efficacious treatment; however Quick Cure claims to be helpful. I have also heard of people who trim the fish's fins, followed by several baths in Malachite Green. Fortunately, this disease is uncommon and in some cases, infected fish are able to recover quickly without treatment.

Lymphocystis is highly infectious. When infected cells from the fish’s skin or fins burst the virus is spread throughout the aquarium and can remain contagious for periods of up to two months. Fish not showing symptoms should be removed from the aquarium and placed in quarantine, away from other fish, for at least 60 days. Note, remove uninfected fish, not the other way around because the aquarium has become contaminated. The infected aquarium should be emptied and thoroughly disinfected before returning any fish to it. Do not use soap to clean the aquarium.
 
Lymphocystis



Symptoms:

Fish infected with Lymphocystis will present with clusters of whitish, berry-like growths on the skin and fins. These "clusters" may resemble small clutches of eggs or cauliflower (hence, it is sometimes called Cauliflower Disease). They will be clearly visible and may even become extremely large. This disease often affects the fins first.



Cause:

Viral infection. The virus will eventually kill the fish if it is unable to mount a strong enough immune response as the virus rampages through the fish’s tissues, destroying its cells.



Treatment:

As with all viral infections, there is no suitable cure or efficacious treatment; however Quick Cure claims to be helpful. I have also heard of people who trim the fish's fins, followed by several baths in Malachite Green. Fortunately, this disease is uncommon and in some cases, infected fish are able to recover quickly without treatment.

Lymphocystis is highly infectious. When infected cells from the fish’s skin or fins burst the virus is spread throughout the aquarium and can remain contagious for periods of up to two months. Fish not showing symptoms should be removed from the aquarium and placed in quarantine, away from other fish, for at least 60 days. Note, remove uninfected fish, not the other way around because the aquarium has become contaminated. The infected aquarium should be emptied and thoroughly disinfected before returning any fish to it. Do not use soap to clean the aquarium.

Thanks Wilder,

TBH the "lump" was more like a smooth whitish area on the edge of the fin, not at all cauliflower like. it appeared fairly suddenly, and did not appear to get any bigger. I had thought it might be gas bubble disease, when I noticed the smaller bubble like growths on the ends of the Dorsal Fin. There was very low aeration in the tank due to having the filter on absolute minimum setting. (being a Betta tank). The only treatment I found for that was to increase aeration. There are also 3 Shrimp in the tank, and they have been completely unaffected (but then they are invertebrates not fish). I wonder though if I were to move them to one of my other tanks would they be able to carry any Viral or Bacterial infection with them. I would like to obviously completely disinfect the tank, now knowing what caused the problem in the first place. I am certain though that it was the Melafix that killed him. either that or it was an extreme coincidence. his decline was very rapid once that was added into the equation.

thanks again
 

Checked out the links, still don't think it was Lymphocystis although, as nothing else seems to fit the symptoms. Maybe.

I also read how fish contract the disease, and how it spreads only to similar species. indicating that there are many forms of the virus. Aslan was in a 5 Gallon tank, he had not been handled, and I am pretty sure there was nothing that caused any damage to him in terms of allowing an entry point for the virus. but that is just in retrospect, and I am sure there are many different parameters that I am not aware of.

It certainly makes you think. I know that pathogens are present all around us, and in aquaria no matter how vigilant you are. I'm just sorry that I was unable to get to the bottom of the problem.

Sorry, I'm just a bit shocked at the moment, trying to work out how this could have happened.
 
Melafix is only good on cuts and wounds.
I would try and internal bacteria med like interpet. There furanol by jbl but it wipes the beneifcal bacteria out in the filter.

Used esha2000 and didn't rate it much.
Esha exit a whitespot med.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top