Mediteranean Style Plants That Can Cope With The Rain!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ami

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Our garden is part way through development and will have a mediterannean patio area at the rear. The only plants we can think of right now are canna lillies, yuccas, cordylines etc.

I've got plenty of herbs and heathers that I was planning on dotting around, but would like some other smaller plants with nice flowers maybe.

Echinacea is already on the list.
:D

Any ideas?

Phormium tenax would be excellent,Miscanthus,there are many bamboos which are good,Melianthus major,
Eucalyptus,Persicaria Red Dragon,Trachycarpus fortunei.

Many others im sure :nod:

I've already gone with the Phormium Tenax, Tracycarpus Fortunei, got some bamboo (golden bamboo I think - can't remember right now), a Phoenix Roeberenii and a Cordyline Australis.

Although I did kill the cordyline cos I didn't plant it out in time and it lived in the house over winter - really doesn't like the lack of sunlight. :(

Was thinking of adding some agaves or aloes, a Chamaerops Humilis or two, Cynara Cardunculus and other thistle look alikes, a bromeliaceae (maybe Fascicularia Bicolor), Yucca Gloriosa (or is it Gloriana?) and then some flowering plants to fill the gaps. Plus something like night blooming jasmine and night stock.

There's also going to be a jungly section, so we're gonna have some Musa Basjoo, Arum Lillie, Cannas, Gunnera (although hubby really isn't keen on a manicata), dicksonia antartica (which will break the bank!), fatsia japonica, various ferns and some magnolia grandiflora if I can get it.

The grandiflora will go over the pergola and mix with the passiflora climbing on the fences at the mo.

I think it will look ace, but it's such a lot of hard work!
:D

Yucca gloriosa is an excellent plant,give it very good drainage,as with all your plants exept the Gunnera,which would be quite happy stood in water im sure!

Some of the agaves,aloes may need protection for the winter have you a greenhouse or something similar ?

Pittosporums,aeoniums and some grasses would be good as well,euphorbia mellifera is a striking plant too,

pm me regarding some plants as i grow quite a few and if your interested i will send you a list-ranging from 9cm to 3ltr pots!

Mikk

PS the dicksonia WILL break the bank!

Phormium tenax would be excellent,Miscanthus,there are many bamboos which are good,Melianthus major,
Eucalyptus,Persicaria Red Dragon,Trachycarpus fortunei.

Many others im sure :nod:

I would advise against the eucalypt being used near a house (or in any smaller yard really, definately a big yard tree where it can be well away from any structure). They can grow huge and are prone to throwing branches down every once in a while. While there are "dwarf" varieties around, these still get big in their own right and still have a tendancy to drop branches.

Then there is of course the problem of becoming victim to a dropbear infestation as they are usually shipped with the tree or move in shortly thereafter :lol:

How cold does it get where you are, Being an ignorant american I haven't a clue were you are located in the UK.

Most reactions

trending

Back