Meant As Quaranteen Tank But...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

nurglespuss

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
IMAG0025.jpg

Hey all set up this little (29L 18x10x10") as a quaranteen tank, but, I think the things a little small for the job (next introduction is going to be danios to the main tank).

So.... its now available for stocking :)

I've got half a mind to just pop glass shrimp in there...

Its filtered with an Eheim Liberty 2041, has a heater, and LED lighting.

I don't plan on planting this one at all (Though, might add plastic plants, or some kind of floating cover).

What would you pop in there? Its very small, and I don't mind if its shrimp/single fish/tiny shoal/other...

Ideas?

the betta wont mind the flow as it is a HOB - HOB's dont generally make that much... and you can always turn it down!

I think a betta would be a great idea. You mentioned plastic plants - I'd go for silk plants if I were you as plastic plants can easily tear bettas fins. They'd probably look more realistic too.

You could try a group of microrasbora or ember tetra, though I'm not sure if they'd prefer a planted setup - silk plants could probably do that job though.

If you don't mind adding a few plants then a shoal of pygmy rasboras (boraras maculatus) and a few sparkling gouramis (Trichopsis Pumila), if you don't want any plants then maybe the gouramis and a medium sized group of Pygmy Corys (corydoras Pygmaeus).

a 28 liter is quite small for 6 micro rasboras, a betta, and 3 sparkling gouramis, considering that the gouramis, and the betta will most likely compete for space,as they are both fairly territorial fish. maybe just the betta and 6 micro rasboras, IMO pygmy cories arent the best choice for a tank, as it seems like quite a few places have either a thin layer of sand or no sand, and cories are the best choice for bare bottom tanks, so i would go for

1 male dario dario, or 1 male sparkling gourami, and 2 females

6 microrasboras

3 otos

Thanks for the excellent input every body!

And thanks for the aquascaping compliment :)

I'm going to go with the betta idea I think :)

Cheers!

Will grab some silk plants and can use cycled media from one of those 2 big externals :)

Now you got me thinking of putting a Betta in mine!

you'd have to take out the powerhead, the barbs, any quick waterflow and anything elst that could blow him around or hurt him in any way, shape or form

Oh dear, I really do need help.

I popped into the dreaded pets at home, to grab some soft fake plants for the little aquarium while I waited to find a way of getting hold of a decent Betta...

So I thought I might take a brief gander round the tanks occupants, as per usual a lot of dead/dying fish in many of the tanks, and half the tanks 'under treatment'... I spotted a few Bettas, most looking pretty sorry for themselves, on the bottom, with ragged fins, not inspiring!

Then BAM! hiding in a cave between some plants from various tetras and barbs, was a bright red Betta, active mid-water, fins in good nick... I broke!

Bought him, got home, tank at 25'C, added mature media from the externals I had to clean out, reduced the flow, washed and placed the fake plants in... done.

He's now swimming around the whole tank investigating everything and seems quite happy.

I hope he survives (being a pets at home fish - and of unknown age), I've not put his lights on (I've got them on a timer to come on at night and be off in the day time - as I'm usually out all day) - he'll have to adjust to a shift in night/day...

I'll take some pics when he's more settled, but, wow seems to have loads of personality so far!

If he looks healthy and is swimmg around nicely then he will be ok! i love red bettas... my red died unfortunately so i have a blue one now :rip:

oh yeah... they are pretty characterfull!

Most reactions

trending

Back