Mbuna Condos, concepts for a African Cichlid tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

madmark285

Fishaholic
Reaction score
My LFS is still selling 75 gallon tanks for $100, time to start planning my next system, a Mbuna tank.

My primary focus when aquascaping a Mbuna tank will be to create as many 'caves' as possible. This is a highly territorial rock dwelling fish that wants a place to call home. In my previous tank, the Mbuna were quite happy on doing the work of digging out the gravel/sand to make a home, nothing else to do in a tank. So I want to create an environment where the Mbunas have many areas they can dig out the sand/gravel and create a home. How do this is quite simple, first I will place a piece of PVC pipe with a section cut off:

Pipe slotted.jpg

Then place a large rock on top as shown below:
Pipe with Rock.jpg

Now the Mbunas can literal dig out under the rock creating a nice little home they can call their own. This design may require some walls to prevent the gravel/sand from pouring in, you can do this by using the pipe sections cut off:
pipes, slotted.jpg

another option is some screen material:

pipe, screen walls.jpg

Here are a couple quick prototype (I used an old drawer), the first shows the rocks sloping upward.
Sloop.jpg

Filled with some crush coral (most likely I will use sand).
Slope, crush coral.jpg

Here is one with no sloop:
Flat.jpg

And finally, filled with crush coral:

Flat, crush coral.jpg

Now this is still a work in progress but to build a wall, add pipes of increasing height:
Pipes vertical wall.jpg

Now add some rocks:
Pipe Rock wall.jpg

Filtration
My Mbuna aquarium will be a peninsula design with a sump trickle filter. Approximately 20 inches (50cm) of the tank will be in a corner. My current plans is to put the overflow on the right side of the tank (in the corner) with rock structure rises to the top of the tank. For the return lines, these need to run along the bottom of the tank, my current thought is to create a type of reverse flow undergravel filter. This is a work in progress.

Gorilla (polyurethane) glue
From PlantedTank forum, I found this quote from a company rep:

"Gorilla Glue will work on varied surfaces and it does provide a 100% waterproof bond which can be submerged after curing a full 7 days. Once cured, it is inert and it will not leach anything into your aquarium water."

This makes sense, polyurethane glues will cure by a chemical reaction, once complete the atoms are bonded together. My first interest in Gorilla glue for this project, cover your rocks with a substrate material such as sand to give your aquascape a consistent look. My original source for rocks was landscaping rocks at my former employer. Unfortunately they removed all the rocks. I will not pay $2/lb for rocks at my local fish store, that just too expensive. One rock source near me is a drainage culvert near my house. These are standard boring construction rocks with a dull gray color.

To create a rock, put on some disposable glove, spray some water on the rock and cover it with the Gorilla glue. Toss the rock into a bucket of substrate and fully cover it, wait a few hours before removing. Gorilla will foam up while curing; the thicker application will foam up more. It will also remove any sharp jagged edges on the rocks.

Below are some examples:

The one on the left is a drainage culvert rock, the middle one is covered with pool filter sand, the one on the right used pool sand and a PetCo fine black gravel. With this method, you can make all your rocks look similar.
Rock Samples.jpg

A closeup of the middle rock:
Rock closeup.jpg

The darker area were created by not apply the any Gorilla glue, it's the gray from the rock. Lots of potential using this idea, more work to be done. Finally, the piece of pipe support the rocks covered with pool filter sand:

Pipe covered with sand.jpg

Hopefully the pipes will blend it when the Mbuna dig up the sand.

Well that's it for now, all opinions are welcomed.

Attachments

• Rock Samples.jpg
    Rock Samples.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 75
Ingenious design on those PVC pipes! $100 for a 75g tank is a steal.

Definitely keep us updated, this is an interesting build. :)

It is a steal, I would be happy with 50 gallon breeder tank which has the desired 18" depth but that cost more than the 75 gallon tank.

I have an unused 29 gallon tank, I may try the above concept with ~4 Mbunas. The big question is, will they dig out under the rocks?

It is a steal, I would be happy with 50 gallon breeder tank which has the desired 18" depth but that cost more than the 75 gallon tank.

I have an unused 29 gallon tank, I may try the above concept with ~4 Mbunas. The big question is, will they dig out under the rocks?
I have no experience with Cichlids, sorry. :/

A 29g tank would give thou the depth you want. :good:

So many thoughts!

1) Be sure not to use the Gorilla glue on your hair. I think we've all learned that is a dumb idea.

2) I love the UGJ idea as a return! I've been thinking about these as well for the build I have planned. I like the idea of reducing the need to gravel vac, though I wonder if the digging action of the fish in this case would render the benefits of the UGJ moot in this case? This is an issue I am able to convince myself of either way.

3) I really like the rock coating idea! One of the things I want to have happen is to try to get algal growth on the rocks so the mbuna can graze. I suspect your treatment will aid that sort of growth. I do wonder about the long-term durability of the gorilla glue though. I'll have to dig it up but there is a site that suggests using it as a binder for homemade plant root tabs because it breaks down over time.

Overall, I am enthralled with your approach here! The similarities to what I have planned are significant. I'll be following this with great interest. Thanks for sharing your ideas here!

I have no experience with Cichlids, sorry. :/

A 29g tank would give thou the depth you want. :good:

Actually the 29 gallon is 12" deep. To be clear, the 29g tank is too small for a proper Mbuna setup. I would just set it up temporary to test out how my plan works.

African Mbuna are very hardy fish, great fish for beginners if they wanted a species tank.

1) Be sure not to use the Gorilla glue on your hair. I think we've all learned that is a dumb idea.
Nasty glue, even uncured it is difficult to remove. On a positive note, she does not have to wash her hair for a very long time!
2) I love the UGJ idea as a return! I've been thinking about these as well for the build I have planned. I like the idea of reducing the need to gravel vac, though I wonder if the digging action of the fish in this case would render the benefits of the UGJ moot in this case? This is an issue I am able to convince myself of either way.
I want a sump filter which pulls the water from the top and requires the water return on the bottom of the tank. I don't need any filtering action, it's more of a circulation issue.
I like the idea of removing the bottom layer of rocks, just remove the top rock to vacuum the sand/gravel then put rock back on the PVC pipe.
3) I really like the rock coating idea! One of the things I want to have happen is to try to get algal growth on the rocks so the mbuna can graze.
One of my "now for something completely different" question, how do you grow algae? :) Of course I mean beneficial algae that the Mbuna will graze on.
I suspect your treatment will aid that sort of growth. I do wonder about the long-term durability of the gorilla glue though. I'll have to dig it up but there is a site that suggests using it as a binder for homemade plant root tabs because it breaks down over time.

Overall, I am enthralled with your approach here! The similarities to what I have planned are significant. I'll be following this with great interest. Thanks for sharing your ideas here!

I want a sump filter which pulls the water from the top and requires the water return on the bottom of the tank. I don't need any filtering action, it's more of a circulation issue.
I like the idea of removing the bottom layer of rocks, just remove the top rock to vacuum the sand/gravel then put rock back on the PVC pipe.
I, too, want a sump filter. Have one on my 42 gal and it's complete overkill, but I still like it. The undergravel jets I am thinking of don't act as filtration. They simply help suspend particulate material in the water column for a longer time, or at least prevent it from settling on the substrate, so the filter can get that material.

I'll be interested in your sump design as that evolves. I have some thoughts on mine, but there are a few things I'm still debating.

I do have some questions about your return now though. If your return is at the bottom of the tank, what will stop it from back-flowing and siphoning the entire tank into the sump in the event of a power failure? Will you be depending on a back-flow valve? In my current sump, I have drilled the back for the inlet above the waterline, and though the end of the inlet is submerged, I have inserted a side flow nozzle into the LocLine return that is above the water line. This breaks the siphon if the power goes out and only allows the waterline to go down to the extent of the overflow. I probably think too much about sump floods.
One of my "now for something completely different" question, how do you grow algae? :) Of course I mean beneficial algae that the Mbuna will graze on.
Good question. Not sure which will be best for them anyhow. But right now my formula for growing algae is 0-0-0 N parameters with too much light. Seems like a goo spot to start given that it shouldn't hurt the fish. Perhaps it's unlikely but I do want to get that good periphyton layer they see in habitat. Not sure that would last long with overstocking though. We'll see. I do have big lighting plants though...

Hi @madmark285 Just wanted to quickly circle back and say I was utterly wrong about the durability of gorilla glue from everything I read. I was confusing two things I'd read recently, at the time, about aquarium background construction. Going back I discovered my confusion and thought it appropriate to come back here so I could dispel my own generated myth. :confused:

That makes your rock coating even more interesting to me! I'm now in a bit of a quandary about whether I should try this on my upcoming build or go with the local limestone as I had initially intended. Decisions, decisions...

That makes your rock coating even more interesting to me! I'm now in a bit of a quandary about whether I should try this on my upcoming build or go with the local limestone as I had initially intended. Decisions, decisions...
We built a small apartment in our rather large house. Our current tenant, a wonderful person from Serbia, is getting a PhD in chemistry. His opinion was similar, once the polyurethane chemical reaction was complete (1 week), it is inert and very resistant. Covered in sand will also protect the cured urethane from any damaging UV rays.

My prefered option, just collect a bunch of similar looking rocks and use them as is, quite frustrating that I cannot find a source of rocks locally, WTF, the planet is covered with rocks!

At this point, I need to start collecting the drainage culvert rocks and do a mock up on a piece of plywood. PVC products are like Lego's, so many ways to build it. Once I visualized my layout, how to build a support structure including the water return lines may be clear.

I am using the Lake Malawi videos from Biotope Aquarium Design Contest 2019 as inspiration., below is a screen shot.

Underwater1.jpg

On breeding Mbunas. I am no expert in breeding, one time I had a breeding pair of Melanochromis auratus. The male dominated the whole tank.

So here is an idea, use a gravel type rock in specific areas where the fry can hide once released by the female. For a reasonable price, Home Depot sells large landscaping pebbles such as the 3 in. to 5 in. 30 lbs. Large Egg Rock Caribbean Beach Pebbles shown below:
rain-forest-bagged-landscape-rocks-rferl1-64_400.jpg

I am intrigued on the idea of a naturally stocked tank ie: get a few breeding groups of Mbunas and let them stock the tank. Talking to a experienced Mbuno owner another forum (CARE from Aquarium CO-OP), he did this with one breeding pair. Now his entire tank is filled with Electric Yellow Cichlids shown below:

Electic Yellow.jpg

I think you and I are going to be mbuna friends! I love the idea of trying to mimic the surrounds, and that's a great Chizumulu. I've been focused on Taiwanee Reef because I'm pretty settled on doing Chindongo saulosi as a species tank. I lke what the guy did with the yellow labs, and my plan is pretty much the same, though I want to make sure I get juveniles from two, hopefully, genetically distinct sources to ensure the population has a good start.

I've got big lighting plans. I want to do strip LED lights in blue, not too bright, and then a single brighter point white LED (probably a COB I'll have to put on my own heat sink) to get a shimmer effect. Big plans, so it could be big disappointment.
1614516475928.png

Sorry to hear about your rock sourcing woes. I have a really great rock yard like 7 minutes from my house. In terms of limestone, we are sitting on so it's not hard to source. It's the reason my well water is "rift lake ready" with all the calcium build up associated with that phrase.

I think you and I are going to be mbuna friends!

I've got big lighting plans. I want to do strip LED lights in blue, not too bright, and then a single brighter point white LED (probably a COB I'll have to put on my own heat sink) to get a shimmer effect. Big plans, so it could be big disappointment.
Yep, good to have someone to talk about Mbuna's.

I didn't understand the COB concept until this guy explains it, The SECRET why do KESSIL lights create so much shimmer? Of course a single Kessel light cost $230 :angry: I like the idea of building your own light. For my tank, 2/3 of it will be a peninsula, having a single shimmer light source over it would be cool looking.

Maybe the hydroponic folks have cheaper lights, reef stuff is so expensive!

EDIT: COB chips are a mass produce China item, here is one for $30, Grow Lights for Indoor Plants,4000K 300W

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back