Matt's 4.5', 300Ish Litre Tang Community

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

just got 2 alto. Compressiceps "red fin". about 2.5 inches long from my LFS. One of them seems pretty shy but the other one was out straight away squaring up to the julies and brevis. Already seen some great behaviour, they point their bodies up vertical and bend towards anyone that is trying to attack them, apparently this exposes the sharp edges of their scales to the attackers mouth, seems to work as my big brevis male who was the previous boss of the tank has been put squarely in his place :) awesome looking fish, really pleased with them.

Hows the new additions? Would love to see some pics. :D

Had to take the shy one back to the shop after a week as he was getting beat up by the other comp. Thankfully he made the journey fine and the shop gave me a credit note with no issues. The remaining one is a fantastic little fish, he set about aquascaping the sand and has dug some huge holes between the rock piles. Got these pics, only rubbish phone video though as I don't have a suitable lens handy for my DSLR!

http://youtu.be/slnBbdG8UQQ

http://youtu.be/zFP1Si6KYwY

http://youtu.be/ARn1awshHJM

cheers :)

Comps are a complete PITA to catch in a tank full of rocks, intelligent, slightly skittish fish with excellent eyesight means tht i had to remove almost all the rocks to get it in the net! Found some julie eggs too while the rocks were out, unfortunately the rock they were stuck to had been out of the water for 2 hours as i'd driven to the LFS to take the fish back before rescaping the tank :(

seem to be maturing nicely, had some BBA issues but have started gassing out new water for 24 hours with an air stone to get rid of excess c02 before adding to tank and added a koralia evo 2800 for a bit more water movement and it seems to be sorted now. Just have a light covering of algae on the rocks which the julies and synos munch on all day and makes it look a bit more natural.

Just seen this, what a great tank Matt! :good: Almost as good as mine, lol :shifty: :fun: :lol:

How i wish i had a spare tank for a Tang setup. :sad:

Just go and find one on ebay / local classifieds! Thanks to Matt I have learnt a lot about tangs and they are awesome. My fish arrived this week and I'm in love.

Hey Salam, cheers for the comments :) I've just finished cycling my old 29gal tank so I'm going to move two of the adult brevis and two of the julies over to give the juvie brevis some more space in the big tank. I really want a nice shoal of Cyprichromis Leptosoma "Utinta" for the big tank- something like 2 males and 6-8 females. But I'm having real trouble finding them in the south east. They're either stupidly expensive (£20+ each :unsure: ) or the shops have like 3 left which knowing my luck I'd never be able to find the right colour morph again to increase their numbers in the future.

Wharf Aquatics had tons of leptosoma yesterday when we went. Would be a great excuse to visit the fish house again :)

Another shellies tank, how fab! I think once I'm overrun with babies I will have to sell them, no way I could set up more tanks.

haha yes it would be, unfortunatly Wharf is a 3+ hour drive from me (350 mile round trip!!), we only visited as we were driving back down from a week's holiday in the Peak District. Don't think I could justify the £60 worth of petrol I'd need to do that journey lol

I'm hoping to visit Wildwoods in north london soon, which is meant to be pretty good for Tangs, so I'm hoping I can get something there.

My juvie brevis are just over a year old now and they're just starting to be territorial with each other, have seen a bit of aggression between the two small males so think it's time to make a bit more space for them in the shell bed.

Might swap out the daylite tube for a marine white tube or another colour lite (pinky blue) as I really don't like the green colour cast it gives to the tank.

It cost us £20 in petrol and we will go there frequently once we start the marine tank. They were so helpful and their choice of corals and fish is amazing. Will be worth it.

Mine are already very territorial. Have you seen my update? Those little sugars have bitten us already, they guard their shells with a vengeance from us and from other occies. I got the blue light, but it makes them even more aggressive, so I don't like using it. What does a pinky blue look like? You mean turquoiseish?

Yeah they seemed like good guys when we were up there. Been looking at marine tanks but the more I read the more I think that for the money I'd rather have a huge 8 foot tropical tank full of frontosa or featherfins. My fiance loves big chunky fish but I prefer small fish in big tanks, so it follows that if she wants big fish we've got to get a mahoosive tank :rolleyes: Last time we went to our LFS she pointed out the frontosa tank and asked if we could have them, the ones they had were just 3 inch long baby ones, when I showed her pics and vids on the internet of fully grown males she thought they were awesome hehe :good: But that needs to wait till we get a bigger house!

Don't we all need a bigger house ;)

You would love my current community tank then, 4ft and filled with small fish. I don't like it though hence they will be split again into two smaller tanks and the big one will be marine. It's going to cost so much, but we are both passionate about marine so it will be worth it.

Love the featherfins, have googled them after you mentioned them last time. Beautiful fish! Let's hope we both win the lottery so we can buy bigger houses. One can hope, eh? :rolleyes:

good news- just popped into my lfs on the way home from work, they have a pretty good selection of tangs, but theyre a bit pricey- well in one of the tanks right at the bottom they had 7 nice healthy looking cyprichromis pavo, but without a price. I asked, just out of interest, thinking they would be loads (they have paracyp. nigripinnis up for £28 each!) and he came back and said £7.95 each . . . asked how much for all 7 and he said he'd do them all for £40 :hyper: will be collecting them tomorrow :rolleyes: They're only about 2-2.5" long and haven't coloured up yet- probably why they were cheap as they don't look anything special in the shop tank- but looking at internet piccies they should be stunning once they've settled in, can't wait!

http://youtu.be/dyPSNHjMsRU

Weird to see cichlids shoaling together! Lovely little fish, look a bit bland at the mo, looking forward to them colouring up :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back