Matt's 4.5', 300Ish Litre Tang Community

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
well the juvie brevis have started shoaling with the cyps :huh: and most of last night they were all swimming in the front corner of the tank- its a 54" long tank and all the cyps and brevis were crammed into to right hand 10 inches of tank, which is within the territory of my big brevis male, who was just sitting there ignoring them . . . fish are so wierd sometimes :D

changed the juwel "daylite" bulb for an arcadia marine white bulb, which has got rid of the yucky green colour cast the tank had and it's now nice and blue, the fishes colours look so much better :)

IMAG0230.jpg

Cyps have settled in nicely and are all eating fine with no signs of the digestive issues they seem to be prone to, would like to increase the size of the shoal though. Never seen cyprichromis pavo before or since though, they are a metallic purple colour on their bodies and have green fins with a blue edging, their colour is getting better as time goes on. At the mo they are about 30-50mm long, evidently they grow up to 120mm as adults so a way to go yet :)

IMAG0234.jpg

One of the synos made a rare appearance during the day:

IMAG0237.jpg

IMAG0236.jpg

What a great thread and tank! I've only recently noticed these little fish but they seem really neat!

Tank is looking great! How do you manage keeping the plants in? Don't they dig all the time? I think AA wants a shellies tank too :)

Tank is looking great! How do you manage keeping the plants in? Don't they dig all the time? I think AA wants a shellies tank too :)

They don't really dig too much, brevis dig a little bit but only when getting ready to spawn it seems- they cover up nearby shells, but only half-heartedly lol. The worst digger is actually the compressiceps, he likes to hollow out the spaces between the rocks to make little dens :blink: the java fern are glued to rocks and the vallis roots grow loads so after the first couple of weeks they're pretty well anchored into the sand. Don't think they'd get on with your mini-bulldozers though!

Just got back from my LFS, they have really expanded thier african section and had some juvie multies, was very tempted but already have a tank full of brevis fry!

syno. lucipinnis out to play:

brevis fry in the 29g, theres actually two broods here thats why they're different sizes:

It was weird, all three of the synos were out in the open last night, not sure if something was going in in the tank and they could sence spawning hormones or something. Hopefully the cats and the comp will keep any fry under control in the big tank as the two brevis that go into the shell in the vid are brother and sister :unsure:

Uh oh, might be better that case. It's better they keep the fry under control than you having to do that. It's always so weird to think that brothers and sisters do it. Ewww!

Whats wrong with that, keeps the blood lines strong!

well, at least the Romans thought so... :|

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back