Mathematicians Required, Dechlorinator Dilution Calculation!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

KirkyArcher

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Any brainboxes out there who'd be willing to help me? I would like to dilute my concentrated dechlorinator with water the idea to fillĀ a 1 litre bottle that will enable me to dose around 5ml for every 20 litres of water, The concentrate states that 10 ml will treat 750 litres (1 ml = 75 litres) I currently measure the dose via the divisions marked on a 5 ml syringe but fear I'll O/D , Now I've tried to work it out but I must admit Mathematics it's not my strong point and my brain starts to hurt, Main reason I want to persue this is as stated earlier I'd really not want to overdose even though slight overdosing of dechlorinator is usually deemed acceptable,Ā 
Ā 

5ml of de to 95ml of water, so 50ml of DE chlorinator per litre (im pretty sure that's correct) 75divide 20Ā = 3.75 Ā 
Ā 
1 divide 3.75 = 0.26 times 19 = 5.06
ratio of 1 part dechlorinator to 19 parts water 1:19Ā Ā Ā Ā times 5Ā Ā Ā  5:95
Ā 
might be wrong so someone put me right if I am but I think its correct
I did double check it using a different method.

No, and you've now given me a headache, and I'm frustrated I can't work it out for you!

Gah, I'm never going to be able to return to work - baby brain x3

pretty sure I am correct.....Ā Ā Ā  you want 1ml to treat 4 litres.... and the solution treats 1 ml for 75 litres
4 times 19 is 76, so its very close which explains the 5.06 in what I said earlier.
1:19

Be sure to use ro/di or distilled water and not tap or bottled water to make your mix.

I would like to dilute my concentrated dechlorinator with water the idea to fillĀ a 1 litre bottle that will enable me to dose around 5ml for every 20 litres of water,
Ā 
Ā 
Well, by mixing the dechlorinator in water will make it react with that water so I don't see how you are going to use it afterwards? But chemistry is not my strong point.
However, if the question is to calcualate how much dechlor you need in 1litre of water to treat every 20litre using 5ml of tha solution, then my calculation show 13.5ml dechlor into 1l. I may be wrong. Here is the explanation.
Ā 
1ml dechlor treats 75litres, therefore 0.013ml dechlor treats 1 litre(1/75). You need to treat each 20 litres, so multiply 20x0.013=0.27ml. Then you need that for 1000ml(1litre) so you need to multiply that by 50 because 20 litres mulitplied by 50 gives you 1000ml(1l) but you also need to increase the concentration by the same so you mulitply 0.27ml by 50 giving you a concentration of 13.5ml for 1l water in order to be able to dose 5ml of that for 20 litres of water.

*sigh* now i got a headache too!Ā 

You want your solution to dose at 5ml per 20l. In a 1000ml solution. That's going to be 200 5ml doses per litre.
Ā 
1 ml treats 75l.
Ā 
Therefore 0.26ml treats 20l (1 divided by 75/20, which is 3.75)
Ā 
So you need 200 of the 0.26mls per litre of dechlorinator, which is 53.3ml of dechlorinator and 946.6ml of RO/DI water.

Ā 
Well, by mixing the dechlorinator in water will make it react with that water so I don't see how you are going to use it afterwards? But chemistry is not my strong point.
Ā 
snazy- when we buy dechlor its a liquid in a bottle. If you buy the ingredients, you buy them dry. This is why my small post above dealt with this. Using RO/DI or distilled means pure water which should not cause any reaction for the dechlor.

TwoTankAmin said:
Ā 
Ā 
Ā 
snazy- when we buy dechlor its a liquid in a bottle. If you buy the ingredients, you buy them dry. This is why my small post above dealt with this. Using RO/DI or distilled means pure water which should not cause any reaction for the dechlor.
Ā 
Ā 
Thanks TTA. I've never used dry dechlor so didn't even think about it.
Ā 
And I think I got the calculations wrong too because for some reason I was multiplying 20l by 50 to get 1000ml which is totally wrong.
Ā 
You want your solution to dose at 5ml per 20l. In a 1000ml solution. That's going to be 200 5ml doses per litre.
Ā 
1 ml treats 75l.
Ā 
Therefore 0.26ml treats 20l (1 divided by 75/20, which is 3.75)
Ā 
So you need 200 of the 0.26mls per litre of dechlorinator, which is 53.3ml of dechlorinator and 946.6ml of RO/DI water
Ā 
Ā 
I think that's right. To treat 20 litre you need 0.27ml of dechlor (1ml/75l=0.0133333....3333 mlĀ needed for each litre of water, then that multiplied by 20litre Ā = 0.27ml of dechlorĀ approximately). If you want this concentration to be inside in each 5ml of water in order to treat each 20 litre, it makes a ratio of 18.5 parts of water : 1 part of dechlorĀ approximately(5ml divided by 0.27ml=18.5). Ā If you convert that in percentage, it's 1/18.5=5.4 % dechlor strenght needed approximately.Ā To make that concentration forĀ 1 litre of water that's 54ml of dechlor for a 1000ml(1L) of water.

18-19:1 ratio is correct. Honestly tho its really hard to overdose dechlor. Your talking like 5x the normal doseage or more. I know standard dechlor (sodium thiosulfate) is not anything to worry about. I mix it from dry occasionally but I rarely use dechlor anyway. When I do I don't measure it unless its Prime and thats more about cost. Prime I know is safe up to 5x regular doseage, sodium thiosulfate is probably higher. A regular dose of dechlor is almost always way more then your tank will need to dechlorinate since they are dosed for the absolute max chlorine levels allow by law, which is a lot more then usually comes out of a standard tap. So either way there is lots of unused dechlor in the tank. If you dose 5x regular you might see a slight bump to TDS.

GRD1985 said:
18-19:1 ratio is correct. Honestly tho its really hard to overdose dechlor. Your talking like 5x the normal doseage or more. I know standard dechlor (sodium thiosulfate) is not anything to worry about. I mix it from dry occasionally but I rarely use dechlor anyway. When I do I don't measure it unless its Prime and thats more about cost. Prime I know is safe up to 5x regular doseage, sodium thiosulfate is probably higher. A regular dose of dechlor is almost always way more then your tank will need to dechlorinate since they are dosed for the absolute max chlorine levels allow by law, which is a lot more then usually comes out of a standard tap. So either way there is lots of unused dechlor in the tank. If you dose 5x regular you might see a slight bump to TDS.
Ā 
Do you know what is in water conditioners that are advertised as doing such as removing chloramine and heavy metals? Does sodium thiosulfate do that as well or would you need to use something else for that? Ā What is it that is in the conditioners that helps the slime coating? Ā 

Thanks all for your help, I'll be following DrRobs advice seen as it's the clearest answer that I could comprehend and he has even worked out the volumes for me to fill my litre bottle. :)

Still got the headache............

KirkyArcher said:
Thanks all for your help, I'll be following DrRobs advice seen as it's the clearest answer that I could comprehend and he has even worked out the volumes for me to fill my litre bottle.
smile.png
Ā 
I live to serve.

Most reactions

trending

Back