Marks On Platy And Betta

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

xamy_valox

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi there, I am new to keeping tropical fish and have had mine for roughly a month now.
I don't know if this is actually an emergency as both fish are behaving normally.
However, yesterday I noticed that my betta and platy both have marks, they are both different, but Im not sure if there is something wrong with them?
My platy has what looks like a blister type mark near its rear that is only noticeable in some lights. Since my other platy died I have noticed that this platy has been being chased by my guppies and they kind of nudge him? So I don't know if this mark has occured because of them doing this?
Here is a picture anyway..I'm sorry the quality isn't brilliant but it's the best I could do.

http://s829.photobucket.com/albums/zz214/xamy_valox/Fish/?action=view&current=SDC11444_2.jpg

My betta on the other hand has a much, much smaller mark and in actual fact is not very noticeable, but I noticed it was different and was a bit concerned..

http://s829.photobucket.com/albums/zz214/xamy_valox/Fish/?action=view&current=SDC11436_2.jpg

This is him normally, his fins are a little raggy. I got him from a friend and I think he may have caught himself on stuff that was in his previous tank, but I just wanted to make sure he looks ok in general?

http://s829.photobucket.com/albums/zz214/xamy_valox/Fish/?action=view&current=SDC11434.jpg

I've checked the internet for the symptoms of white spot and looks a pictures and it doesnt seem to match with either of them, so I'm a bit confused as to what it may be?
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks, and I'm sorry if the pics dont work.
Amy.

Size of tank in gallons or litres.
How many fish and which type.
Water stats in ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph.

Issolate the sick fish,

as fish will pick of sick fish.

Try a bacterial med.
Do any of the fish look skinny or bloated.
What does it look like when your fish go to the toilet.
Is the anus enlarged or red and inflamed.

Issolate the sick fish,

Try a bacterial med.

I have a 23 litre tank.
There is one platy, 4 guppies, 1 baby guppy and a male betta in there.
My testing kit doesnt tell me how much ammonia is in there, but last week I got it checked at my LFS and it was a little high at 1. My nitrite is 0 as are my nitrates and my ph is 6.4

I can't isolate my fish as I only have this tank and so have nowhere to put them where they can have a heater and filter etc.
Neither are skinny or bloated, just normal. Platy's toilet habits look normal just brownish normal colour, never seem to catch the betta going to the toilet. Neither anus' look inflamed or any different.
Thanks, Amy.

Issolate the sick fish,

Try a bacterial med.

I have a 23 litre tank.
My testing kit doesnt tell me how much ammonia is in there, but last week I got it checked at my LFS and it was a little high at 1. My nitrite is 0 as are my nitrates and my ph is 6.4

I can't isolate my fish as I only have this tank and so have nowhere to put them where they can have a heater and filter etc.
Neither are skinny or bloated, just normal. Platy's toilet habits look normal just brownish normal colour, never seem to catch the betta going to the toilet. Neither anus' look inflamed or any different.
Thanks, Amy.

Your tanks overstocked.
I would only keep the betta in the tank.
Livebearers really need bigger tanks. No less than 10 gal.

Your water stats are telling you your tanks is overstocked.
I would rehome some of the fish.

Use a bacterial med for the blister.

Issolate the sick fish,

Try a bacterial med.

I have a 23 litre tank.

Thanks, Amy.

Your tanks overstocked.
I would only keep the betta in the tank.
Livebearers really need bigger tanks. No less than 10 gal.

Your water stats are telling you your tanks is overstocked.
I would rehome some of the fish.

Use a bacterial med for the blister.

So I can only have one fish in the whole of my tank? When I bought the tank, the man said I could have upto 15 small fish in there?
What bacterial med do you suggest?
Amy.

A 23 litre is a very small tank once you added substrate, ornaments, plants, filter, heater.
A rough guide is one inch per fish, per gallon.

UK. Myxazin by waterlife.
US> Maracyn.

Hiya, well I ended up getting rid of my platy today. I took him back to my LFS as I couldn't stand watching him get bullied anymore, it was horrible, literally every fish in the tank was gunning for him =[
The LFS said there didnt appear to be anything wrong with him, and that patch is more than likely where he has been barged so many times by the other fish, and because he was the only platy in the tank due to the others dying, he was probably bullied for that reason.
I'm gutted though, I feel like I let him down but there wasn't much else I could do =[
I couldnt find the bacterial med that you suggested so I got Melafix, I havent used it yet as obviously I was going to use it because of my platy which has now gone, but will this be ok?
Thanks, Amy.

Just half dose the melafix. As not all fish tolerate the full dose.

Bless Him.
I know fish keeping can be upsetting. They say it meant to be good for stress.

Ok, I'll bear that in mind when using it, as I did hear that it can be a bit on and off with Betta's and I don't want to upset mine.
I know!! I think if you're just sat watching them then yes it can relieve stress, but not if you are trying to keep an aquarium going, it's almost causing me to pull my hair out! Especially when you get so attached to the fish and you just want to do whats best for them haha!!
Amy.

I know how you feel.
Let me know how you get on if you don't mind.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back