March Snow In North Carolina

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

rdd1952

Swim with the Fishes
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
We rarely get snow in NC anyway but to get a snowstorm (anywhere from 2 to 6 inches around the Charlotte areas, about 4 inches in my yard) on March 1 is extremely odd to say the least. If the 3 inches of rain we got in the 24 hours before the snow started had all been snow, we'd be snowbound for months. It's really pretty out today with all the wet snow on the trees and the sun out.

2009_0301Snow0014.jpg

2009_0301Snow0015.jpg

2009_0301Snow0016.jpg

2009_0301Snow0017.jpg

2009_0301Snow0022.jpg

These are of my dad's goldfish pond. The tree is a weeping willow that became attached to the side of the fountain several years ago. He keeps the roots trimmed and it continues to grow. He has had to trim the limbs back several times to keep it from getting too big and pulling away.

2009_0301Snow0019.jpg

2009_0301Snow0020.jpg

nice pics rdd,that's what it looks here in illinois most of the winter. :lol:

Thank you. Rare that we get to see snow. Usually have one small snowfall a year but they are usually gone in a day or 2 max. I wish it had snowed more during the day when we could have seen it falling. Most came after dark but I did have the outside spot lights on for a while so I could watch it. I like to see a good snow every now and again but certainly don't want the amount you get up there.

Oh, nice pics :) I live in Canada, so we get snow all the time! Lol, it's pretty, but it gets annoying shovelling it when it's about 15 Inches or more! Heh

Great pics especially against the blue sky.....just beautiful. As I recall I never saw snow when I lived in NC.......as few hurricanes but no snow lol

The snow covered trees against the clear blue sky was what I really liked. As bad as ice storms can be, those are the mornings that are gorgeous, when the trees are covered with ice glistening in the sunlight against a clear blue sky.

Netty, you must have lived nearer the coast. We have actually had a hurricane in Charlotte. In 1989, Hugo hit Charleston, and zoomed inland so fast that it still had sustaind winds of 90 mph when it hit Charlotte (about 190 miles as the crow flies). What a mess that was. I'll just stick to a little snow and let those at the coast have the wind.

Yes I was near the coast in Jacksonville between 1984-1987. My first hurricane was Diana...very scary. I remember watching on TV here in the UK about Hugo. It's terrifying to see the devastation that nature can cause. Did you suffer much damage yourself? I can't believe it still had that speed despite hitting and travelling over so much land.

I really want to come back and visit friends there that I still keep in touch with but with all the animals it's just too difficult for both of us to go :sad:

We had only a few shingle off on our house and one small tree down that actually fell after the storm was over. Was terribly scary as it hit at about 4AM and the power was out almost immediately. All the noise and you couldn't see anything. Actually our neighborhood was pretty much untouched. The majority of the damage wasn't from the winds of the hurricane but from all the tornados it spawned. They showed aerial photos and you could see like a 100 yd path for half a mile that a tornado had just destroyed everything in the path.

Of course, we had an ice storm the first week of Dec. 2002 that was worse than Hugo. More than 2 million people state wide were without power from that. We didn't have power for almost 4 days (some people were without for close to a month) with highs in the low 40s and lows in the low 20s over that first week afterwards. Thankfully, our home is very well insulated so the worst it got was into the mid 40s that last night before the power came back on. We had so many blankets on the bed, you couldn't roll over. Ever how you laid down, that was how you were sleeping for the night. :lol:

As you said though, it's amazing what destruction nature can cause. It can be so beautiful and also so ugly.

Those are beautiful photographs, RDD. We actually had some snow here today too, but nothing like that.

It's amazing what actually goes on in the big wide world whilst i'm on TFF. :lol:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back