🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Tropical Tony

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone can help me sex these German blue rams? Thanks

TT
B4FBDE54-DF79-41D0-88B3-696B1F38F79F.jpeg

Male on the left, female on the right. Metallic scales on the black spot and pinkish belly on the female, extended dorsal fin rays on the male.

That's a great pic, BTW

Never mind, I agree with the above - male on left, female in left

The males also have lumpier heads than the females.

Thanks guys, I was hoping they would be male and female. Yes the males head looks like it’s on more of a slant whereas the females head is more of a gentle slope. Any tips on breeding?

If they are a male/female (I'm not suggesting differently) they will most likely spawn at some point fairly soon. How do they interact? This is usually the best indicator of gender and acceptance (or not) by each other. To answer your breeding question, I will provide info that may already be known, but I can't tell that so bear with me.

Water quality is important, as this species is intolerant (long-term) of nitrates, fluctuating parameters, etc. Warmth is essential, minimum 80F/27C (permanently, not just spawning; the fish may live and spawn at lower temperatures, but they will not be in good health and they do not reach normal lifespans). A substrate spawner, they will create a depression in the substrate. Sometimes they take a few attempts to achieve success, and for the initial few spawns parental care may or may not be successful. Removal of the pair to their own tank would probably solve this issue.

Thanks for this Byron. I’ve only had the (potential) male for about 3 days but he’s started getting close to the female and doing like this little shake movement and then swimming away. Water temp is 26 so I’ll raise that a little bit. 0 nitrates 0 nitrites and PH is about 6.8.

Thanks for this Byron. I’ve only had the (potential) male for about 3 days but he’s started getting close to the female and doing like this little shake movement and then swimming away. Water temp is 26 so I’ll raise that a little bit. 0 nitrates 0 nitrites and PH is about 6.8.

That is likely a male and female. I introduced a female with my male Bolivian some years ago and had a similar interaction. They spawned four times, then the male turned and killed her, he'd had enough. Male/female in both ram species must accept their respective mate or divorce is imminent, so monitor their interactions, no telling the outcome.

On the temp, not all fish will manage with warmer water, and I don't know what species are in the tank.

Thanks for this Byron. I’ve just seen them getting really close inside a rock crevice and picking at the rock. Looks like they are pairing up they’ve started swimming round a lot more too.

I’ve got a video of this but don’t know how to post it haha. Also they’ve started going close to the gravel and trying a depression. What’s the reason for This?

I’ve got a video of this but don’t know how to post it haha. Also they’ve started going close to the gravel and trying a depression. What’s the reason for This?

They are initiating spawning.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back