Male or Female.......

Fawke

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Down a dark hole... Down a dark hole... with an ow
Hi there,

I have a blue Gourami that i cannot distinguish its sex.
Its dorsal fin is not as pointed as a male should be but at some times it looks really colourful and acts like a male.

By this i mean - Inticing the yellow female by showing its belly. Acting somewhat aggressive towards her and my previous yellow male (RIP).
I cannot make up my ming to whether its a male or female and i really need to know as i want to get 2 more Gouramis and to not really want 2 males in the tank :S

Any ideas ?? -

blue1.jpg

blue2.jpg

Sorry about the pics. They are blurred and hasy, not a great digital camera (i blame the photographer :p)

Thanks!

The only way I know of to tell the sexes of gouramis is to look at them from the top of the tank. Females have a more rounded belly,and the males will be long and slender. Other than that,I've never heard of another sure fire way.

I have always found that the male dorsal fin is not only more pointed but longer. It usually makes it back to the caudal fin where the female dorsal is a very tight rounded fin. Yours looks female to me but the fins are not fully erect so it is difficult to be sure. HTH

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back